• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil change

Just make sure that you oil the seal on the new filter before installing it. I always do it (recommended by Honda) having never had a filter seal stick in nearly fifty years of servicing bikes.

Years ago, I worked at a Dealership that had a huge oil change business (20-35 LOF's a day). Now and then, a Technician would remove the gasket off of an old filter, usually at the end of the day, on a filter type that had just been changed by the lube rack next to his own (oftentimes, the oil catch cart would have a handful of filters in it at any given time). If discovered by the guy working the underside, it would give them a sick feeling, or one of panic - thinking that he "double-gasketed" the filter. Young men trying to mess with each other. It always gave me a chuckle, but I didn't let them know that.

I changed my oil for the first time last night and could not get the old filter off with any of the contraptions I had on hand. A Phillips head screwdriver and a hammer did the trick. This method should be featured in the owners manual, it would save a lot of frustration and skinned knuckles. Yes, last night, Saturday night, after all of the stores that could have motorcycle oil on their shelves were closed. I was in the middle of putting oil back into the bike when I knocked over the gallon jug of Honda oil. It's amazing how quickly two quarts of oil can come gushing out a jug that you have just given a good kick to. I bought the last quart of Valvoline Jaso MA MC oil at 955 PM from Walmart and another quart this morning from my regular MC mechanic by the name of Bob Elbe in Berlin VT. Thank you Bob, you saved the day for me. My son Max and I went to our BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont: Official Homepage club breakfast this morning after I topped off the oil. It was a stupendous day for riding.

Last edited:
Yes, last night, Saturday night, after all of the stores that could have motorcycle oil on their shelves were closed. I was in the middle of putting oil back into the bike when I knocked over the gallon jug of Honda oil. It's amazing how quickly two quarts of oil can come gushing out a jug that you have just given a good kick to.[/QUOTE]

Ugh! I know the that horrible feeling. Sort of the same feeling I had when on a Sunday i was preparing to bring my daughter back to college and I was pouring the last quart of oil into the car, when I removed the cap and started to pour and.....the little plastic foam seal that usually sticks to the top of the cap was now inside the the valve cover! Luckily I noticed it going in and luckily I was able to retrieve it with a pair of needle nose pliers and did not have to remove the valve cover, or worse yet started the engine without noticing what had happened.

How many miles are you guys going between changes. I really don't do that many miles a season. A good year might be 3 to 4 thousand.

I run 5K miles between oil changes on ALL my vehicles, regardless of time. 5 is an easy number to track. My CRV is a 105K now and due for its change.

Update: I'm changing the CRV oil today. Last change was Sept 2015 at 101.4K miles so it ran less than 5K for the year.

Update: The manual calls for 4.4 qt with filter on an oil change. I always have the problem of never being able to accurately see the top of the oil level on the dip stick after an oil change because the oil is so clean.
I always let the oil drain for several hours and put 5 full quarts in. At the worst I may be 1/2 qt too full but I think I'm spot on.

Last edited:
I run 5K miles between oil changes on ALL my vehicles, regardless of time. 5 is an easy number to track. My CRV is a 105K now and due for its change.
5K would run into multiple years for you. How many years do you go between oil changes?

The CRV sits outside; everything else is in a garage Dave, which makes a difference as far as temp changes/condensation is concerned.
Being retired I don't run a lot of miles and am comfortable with 1 yr (5W-20 synthetic) on the CRV and 2 yrs on everything else.
I actually had a 40W bulb cocooned under the garaged Motus in the winter to offset day/night temp changes.

Last edited:
I changed my oil for the first time last night and could not get the old filter off with any of the contraptions I had on hand. A Phillips head screwdriver and a hammer did the trick. This method should be featured in the owners manual, it would save a lot of frustration and skinned knuckles. Yes, last night, Saturday night, after all of the stores that could have motorcycle oil on their shelves were closed. I was in the middle of putting oil back into the bike when I knocked over the gallon jug of Honda oil. It's amazing how quickly two quarts of oil can come gushing out a jug that you have just given a good kick to. I bought the last quart of Valvoline Jaso MA MC oil at 955 PM from Walmart and another quart this morning from my regular MC mechanic by the name of Bob Elbe in Berlin VT. Thank you Bob, you saved the day for me. My son Max and I went to our BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont: Official Homepage club breakfast this morning after I topped off the oil. It was a stupendous day for riding.
2" to 4-1/4" Oil Filter Wrench

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to this motorcycle thing and my 2015 NC700XD is my first bike and I just love it and the whole motorcycling experience. My bike, and my wife's 2015 CTX700ND, were bought new and I did the 1st oil change on both. Before joining this forum, my wife found from other site/forums on how hard it was to get the factory filter off. After some thought I sprayed penetrating oil on the filter, after running the engine for about 2 mins, and it came off surprisingly easy. And the gasket didn't stick to the engine block! None of my oil filter wrenchs would fit, so I used channel lock pliers to get the filter off with minimal dents on the filter. I hope this helps future new bike owners.

I'm going for my skills test for the endorsement this Sunday. That's how new I am to this!

Thanks for the input. Congratulations on the bikes and welcome to the forum

Most folks do over torque their oil filter, and most times that is the reason the filter is so hard to remove. You heat the engine before changing oil, so the good old alumium expands. Keep the service manual near when working on many motorcycle. Start all bolts by hand before putting a wrench to the bolt.

Back