• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil change

Boonetown

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all first time changing the oil in my nc. Been changing oil in bikes for 45 years this is the first time the gasket on the filter blew out the bike spit up all over. To tight? Not tight enough? I've always turned the filter 3/4 after snug. But looking back I almost had to get screw driver to take the old one off. Is that how tight it's supposed to be?? Thanks

Hi all first time changing the oil in my nc. Been changing oil in bikes for 45 years this is the first time the gasket on the filter blew out the bike spit up all over. To tight? Not tight enough? I've always turned the filter 3/4 after snug. But looking back I almost had to get screw driver to take the old one off. Is that how tight it's supposed to be?? Thanks

Ha, it seems to be a rite of passage for NC700 owners, the struggle resulting from the Honda Gorilla that puts on the OEM oil filters, lol.

I would look very closely to make sure that the old filter's o-ring didn't stay hidden, and stuck to the engine, having pulled out of the filter groove. I just changed my oil last week, and for the second time since owning, the old o-ring pulled out of the filter and stayed stuck to the engine.

I've always just snugged the filter, sometimes just by hand, and never had a hint of a leak or dribble.

3/4 turn? You the gorilla?
I agree with LBS, just hand tighten or just 1/8-1/4 turn with a oil filter wrench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the o-ring stay on the engine without noticing until things were leaky and I made the fix. Dang... learning through experience and dumbness is irritating.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've had the gasket stick even with replacement filters. Tighten as much as the new filter says to tighten. Different filters (with different gasket materials) will specify somewhat different amounts of turn-after-contact. The ones I've been using recently say ~3/4 turn after gasket contact.

Yep, sounds like the old gasket stayed on and didn't notice. Happened to me on the first oil change-after decades of changing oil on vehicles, first time the gasket stayed on the vehicle, didn't notice it. Replace new filter with the old gasket still there, filled with oil, started up the bike, heard a pop, and oil leaking. turned off bike, removed oil filter and saw the old gasket still in place-DOH....

Gasket sticking to the block can happen with any engine.............many times it can end in catastrophic engine failure $$$$$$ on cars and trucks it often causes engine compartment fires. If you get it just right the oil leak can occur at a later time will riding or driving. Your lucky ......when it noticed at start up in the garage :cool:

The first time that I removed the oil filter, I had to use a screwdriver because of said gorilla. When installing, after contact, I tighten 1/2 to 3/4 turn after lubing the O-ring with oil. Luckily I haven't had any oil leaks.
I do make sure the O-ring doesn't stick to the engine when I remove the filter though.
Ymmv.

Thanks guys I didn't notice the old gasket stuck to the block but will make sure from now on.

So that was what it turned out to be after all? Don't feel alone in this happening. ;) I never once used to think about looking in all my years and all my different bikes but now I have to, and am still afraid of forgetting one day...

i always carefully wipe the area where filter sits with clean cloth,so i can spot oil leaks (if there any) after installing a new filter. do same and you won't run into old gasket problem ;)
the only problem with NC-you can burn yourself,if bike is really hot. Damn catalytic converter stays hot for a very long time

How many miles are you guys going between changes. I really don't do that many miles a season. A good year might be 3 to 4 thousand.

Follow the owner's manual. 8000 miles or 1 year, whichever is first.

:)

Should be. Possibly in the 'secret' compartment in the bottom. Honda specifies 10W30 JASO MA oil. The Honda service manual allows either 10W30 or 10W40 JASO MA oil.

Back