• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Change. Leaning or upright?

JoeZ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, the Honda Service Manual says to hold the bike in an "upright position" when checking the oil. Does that go for changing the oil as well? Because there are tons of how to videos on YouTube including of our NC700s where people have their bikes leaning to the side on their kickstands? Also, when they say "upright," does that mean on the "center stand" or upright with both tires on the ground. What are people in the forum doing when checking their oil or changing it?

As far as checking the level it is supposed to be level on the tires but in my experience it doesn't make a significant difference on the tires or on center stand. It does make a difference if you check the level while on the side stand as it will be off.

As for draining the oil, doesn't make a difference if on side stand or center stand. Bike has a slanted sump so it will drain on the center stand. May get a tad more out if on the side stand.

It really makes no difference, but
if you look at the location of the drain bolt,
I would think it's best to drain it on the side stand.
The bolt is located on the clutch lever side, the pan having an upward tilt to the front.
On the center stand, the rear is lifted and raises the drain bolt location, not that it should matter.

Just my 2¢

I'm usually crouched down next to the bike, or sitting on a pit stand, when I drain the oil.

:p

As far as the bike goes, it doesn't make an appreciable difference. I _have_ had an extra splash come out when I've moved it from the one position to the other, at the end of draining the crankcase, but only about a splash.

Draining oil can be on side stand. And you will NEVER get every drop out. That's just too OCD.

Checking oil level, bike must be level. Means upright vertical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I drain on the side stand (you get more out that way) and check the level while on the center stand or being help upright

What about this? While the bike is upright satisfy yourself the oil is right on the mark. Park the bike as you usually do and come back next day. Check the oil level while still parked. If there is a measurable difference mark the new spot on the stick with the stroke of a file. Now you can check the oil upright or while parked.

Checking the oil should be done on the center stand or with the bike vertical. Reason? If you check the oil using the dipstick while the bike is on the side stand it can read empty, as in no oil even registering on the dipstick. But, if you then sit on the bike, bring it vertical, wait a moment and put the bike back on the side stand and check the oil a second time using the dipstick it will indicate full.

If you have a center stand you can do that little experiement yourself pretty easily.

So yes, it does make a difference. Now, I don't know how large (or small) the cosine error is, but there will be significant change according to the dipstick. Maybe what... couple of pints or so?

Back