• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OFF ROAD NC's (Pics and Mods)

Dimotiv radiator protector
Dimotiv foot enlarger
Dimotiv sprocket cover

I like their radiator cover, the dual-layer type. But this engine guard has me lusting a bit more yet, and it looks especially good for tank panniers too --

NC700X Upper Engine Guard

Here's one of the six photos on the site:

DI-EG-HO-01-K-A-02.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread. I'd like to have an approximate 400cc adventure bike, but they really don't exist. The new street based Kawasaki Versys 300 with a screaming Ninja engine probably just wouldn't cut it, although it has the looks for the part. The new street based Suzuki V-Strom 250 remains to be proven, and the Honda CRF or Rally is too dirt oriented to be comfortable on long road sections. Dirt bike derivatives certainly have the suspension you need, but feature hard banana seats and puny fuel tanks. My desire was to get a CB500X and do the Rally Raid thing, but that could add up to some serious bucks.

So . . . . , what make the most sense it to finish what is already started on Beemerphile's old NC700X, and make it dirt worthy. It's already 75% there, with the crash bars, radiator guard, fender extender, skid plate, hand guards, and upgraded suspension. Plus, Lee included a larger rear sprocket, longer VX2 chain, and a speedo healer. The stock 2012 grey paint is boring so I won't mind if it gets all scratched up anyway. I really wish there was a way to shed about 100 pounds off of it. This bike will easily weigh over two times what I usually ride in the dirt.

Sticking with the two NCs, a semi-dirt version and a street version, gives me parts interchangability as well.

So, I'll follow this thread with interest. Keep it coming!

Last edited:
2012 Manual
Dale Skidplate
Dale rear seat plate
Dale folding shifter
SWMotech crash bars
RaceTech gold valves
1" fork extenders
Nitron fully adjustable shock
Cycle Gear handguards
Had a fender extender but broke it. Need to make a flexible rubber one
Dimotiv radiator protector
Dimotiv foot enlarger
Dimotiv sprocket cover
Homemade fender lift
Seat Concepts
Mosko back country luggage on SWMotech Racks
2 teeth up on rear sprocket to match larger rear tire. Will go 3 teeth next time
1 tooth down on front sprocket
I have ran Shinko 705s
Currently run TKC80 front in stock size. Going to try the 120/80 (or is it 120/90) next
On Rear have run Pirelli Scorpion Rally and Kenda Big Block. Currently run Mitas E07

All of my photos are re-runs. Due to an injury I haven't been able to ride much this year.
Bama,
I don't see a rear hugger in your list. It would seem to me for dirt use I'd be better off without one. I'll just put a flap behind the shock to protect it. Does that sound good?

flap by rear shock is far better for off-pavement riding.

seeing the mud begs the question, 2brnut2b: which tires? ; }

Besides some of the other things mentioned for low/mid-displacement (450-650 or thereabouts) ADV/dualsport, would be minimal bodywork that comes off easily like the better dualsports and can take a lot of hits and is easily replaced. It would be great to have easier access to all the guts for maintenance like filter changes, air box access etc, as well as trail-side fixes. I'd trade fancier plastics for enduro type in spite of the look. And there should be a duct tape dispenser and a zip tie holder BUILT RIGHT IN!

On my son Max's CB500X once the seat is off everything is pretty easy to get to including the air cleaner which is just forward of the battery. The side panels are flexible plastic held on with 3 bolts each side. The only major problem I see is getting to the shim and bucket valves every 30,000 miles, his bike at 32,000 miles will be a little overdue for a valve check when we get the bike back on the road next Spring.

So far. 1" fork extensions, hepco Becker crash bars and skid plate, hand warmers, 12v accessory bar mount, 15tooth front sprocket, trash can rear mud guard mod, front fender lift mod, Shinko 705's, wps hand guards, sylvania headlight. Danmoto carbon gp exhaust on order. More to come I'm sure. I did all these mods in the last week. I've only owned it 3 weeks and put 1200 miles on it.
IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0050.jpgIMG_0052.jpgIMG_0053.jpg

On my son Max's CB500X once the seat is off everything is pretty easy to get to including the air cleaner which is just forward of the battery. The side panels are flexible plastic held on with 3 bolts each side. The only major problem I see is getting to the shim and bucket valves every 30,000 miles, his bike at 32,000 miles will be a little overdue for a valve check when we get the bike back on the road next Spring.

The valve inspection for the cb500x is every 16000 miles not 30000.

Back