• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OFF ROAD NC's (Pics and Mods)

vman1313

Reaction score
Visit site
In this thread, I would love to see pics of NCs that are used off road AND what mods/farkles you have made to the bike to make it off road capable...if any.

The currently active "NC on the TAT?" thread inspired me to start this thread as there is much discussion of whether the NC can or cant do the TAT is being discussed and argued.

Ill start with my beloved NaTaSha. She is my 2014 NC700XD (yes DCT model).

Mods in order of importance to me for off road:
Shinko 805 Rear / TKC80 Front
Motech Skid Plate
Engine Guards
Hand Guards
Engine Covers
Wider Foot Pegs
RAM Mounts (1 for Phone & 1 for Tablet/GPS)
Rear Rack
Corbin Seat (not necessary for off road)
Puig Windcreen (not necessary for off road)
I also had a Fender Extender which worked GREAT keeping the crap off the radiator but it broke off on a nasty pot hole BUT would recommend something like it OR a home made job.

EDIT::: Forgot to mention and as you see in pictures, I carry a "comprehensive" Tool Bag. Must have for off road.

12087077_1588338164823372_5907633390861542399_o.jpg12132426_1588338254823363_870292238050600411_o.jpg11838519_945322188858889_9204884187564213809_o (1).jpg

Last edited:
I'll play.

2014 manual trans

Mitas E07 rear/ TKC80 Front tires (gonna try a 120/90-17 front tire next)
Motech Skid Plate
Givi Engine Guards
Barkbusters
Altrider radiator guard and sidestand foot
Motech Foot Pegs
RAM Mounts (1 for Phone & 1 for Tablet)
Motech Rear Rack & "luggage plate" adaptor
ermax Windcreen
rox 2" risers (now tusk chub 1-1/8 bars, and soon to be rox 3.5" risers)
diy sheepskin seat
Fender Extender
+3T on the rear sprocket

pics have probably been posted here somewhere already:
SoxmCi0.jpg

IidjzEt.jpg

61CtgF8.jpg

Bmcwvg6.jpg

Last edited:
2012 Manual
Dale Skidplate
Dale rear seat plate
Dale folding shifter
SWMotech crash bars
RaceTech gold valves
1" fork extenders
Nitron fully adjustable shock
Cycle Gear handguards
Had a fender extender but broke it. Need to make a flexible rubber one
Dimotiv radiator protector
Dimotiv foot enlarger
Dimotiv sprocket cover
Homemade fender lift
Seat Concepts
Mosko back country luggage on SWMotech Racks
2 teeth up on rear sprocket to match larger rear tire. Will go 3 teeth next time
1 tooth down on front sprocket
I have ran Shinko 705s
Currently run TKC80 front in stock size. Going to try the 120/80 (or is it 120/90) next
On Rear have run Pirelli Scorpion Rally and Kenda Big Block. Currently run Mitas E07

All of my photos are re-runs. Due to an injury I haven't been able to ride much this year.

11986918_10153630564038653_1259151281158654824_n

Whoops

I have a collection of videos if you want them here.

BAMA Has the priorities right......protection then suspension upgrades near the the top of the list ! ( Tires are an automatic given on the off road upgrade as road tires are not even good for wet grass)

Last edited:
As bamamate has done, also useful to list sprocket changes to compensate for change in rear tire size and to get useful lower gearing.

As bamamate has done, also useful to list sprocket changes to compensate for change in rear tire size and to get useful lower gearing.

Yep, going up 2 teeth on the rear got the spedo very close to correct. With the 150/70 rear, 2 teeth puts things just under stock ratio. 3 teeth is a tad over stock.
The 1 tooth down in front was a blessing in Colorado. Amazing how much power the altitude eats.

yeah, experience with a lot of ratio changes on the WR250R showed me that a 1st gear that already seems low as heck will need to be even lower for any serious off-pavement use, and that lower ratio also tends to put 2nd and 3rd gear in a more useful range.

Getting together a toolkit seems a lot more important for off-pavement excursions too...

I live in the country on 40 acres and sometimes ride on my pastures.
The Dunlops were a little slippery. I am not experienced enough to know about the suspension.
I have crash bars, a skid plate, and a radiator guard, but these are more due to our terrible roads here in Oklahoma. (As well as Acute Farkle Syndrome.)

I have a Suzuki drz 400 for off reading. It is a lot lighter, more nimble, and easier to pick up.

the main purpose of a tool in a toolkit is to ward off events wherein that particular tool is likely to be used. though there are exceptions, in the case of tires especially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now.

SW crash bars
radiator guard
Givi luggage rack
heated grips
three different usb ports
rear tire hugger with a chunk missing
Nitron rear shock
Racetech gold valves for the front (still haven't installed them)
Barkbuster hand guards

currently tkc 80's front/rear but they are toast.
shinko 705's front/rear waiting to be installed.
stock gears

skid plate, bar risers, folding levers, maybe extra led lights are all on my list.

Last edited:
I also have two tool tubes inside the givi racks. I have everything I need to take the tires off, a stop and go plug kit, air pump, zip ties, and a few different sockets and wrench.

Getting into heavy stuff, I will be packing a 17 inch tube...you can't plug a gash.

skid plate, bar risers, folding levers, maybe extra led lights are all on my list.

The eBay shorty adjustable levers I posted about really have worked out well for me, very well made and positive, work well behind full-span hand/lever protectors -- though eventually I might still look at a Righteous Stunt Clutch (lever and perch) to have a wider friction/engagement zone for clutch work. Probably add that to my WR250R first since it really needs it worse than the NC to get good off-road clutching precision for slipping/feathering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have two tool tubes inside the givi racks. I have everything I need to take the tires off, a stop and go plug kit, air pump, zip ties, and a few different sockets and wrench.

Getting into heavy stuff, I will be packing a 17 inch tube...you can't plug a gash.

I keep saying I'm going to get a tube but never have. If its a good sized dash, a tube doesn't do much good. Dirt, gravel etc will quickly get in and pop the tube.

I keep saying I'm going to get a tube but never have. If its a good sized dash, a tube doesn't do much good. Dirt, gravel etc will quickly get in and pop the tube.

I see it as a way just to get out to where I can get real help. A guy at a rally i was at had this problem, he ended up sticking a bunch of plugs in and installing a tube, it worked good enough to limp back to camp.

up to now, buying Mitas tires with the Dakar sidewalls was my strategy for riding out of the wild on a bad tire, or not getting one in the first place. if only Mitas made a front that would fit --

I'm still not thrilled with my tool kit. I tend to have the problem of wanting to take stuff for every what if scenario I come up with.

As someone who tries to be as self-sustaining as I can be, I can relate. However, my buddy (whom, I'm almost always riding with) and I work together so we are not both carrying the same crap. No need for both of us to bring chain lube or a tire repair kit or ...... whatever. I like his spoons more than mine, so he brings his. We still end up with some redundancy in tools (sockets, pliers and allen keys, etc) but we feel that's all stuff worth having a second set. So this allows us to have a wider range of shit we'd like to have.

As someone who tries to be as self-sustaining as I can be, I can relate. However, my buddy (whom, I'm almost always riding with) and I work together so we are not both carrying the same crap. No need for both of us to bring chain lube or a tire repair kit or ...... whatever. I like his spoons more than mine, so he brings his. We still end up with some redundancy in tools (sockets, pliers and allen keys, etc) but we feel that's all stuff worth having a second set. So this allows us to have a wider range of shit we'd like to have.

yeah, that's certainly a good strategy for extended rides (like the TAT ferinstance) with others. i'll bring the coffee bean grinder.

Back