• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Power harness - relay - and accessory drop

MalcolmReynolds

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I ordered the Honda wiring harness, relay, and 12v accessory kit. I figure it is time to get some power on the bike for basic stuff I need. It is really annoying to take off on the bike and look at your phone to see that you have been out of cell range and the phone is eating up the battery at a fast rate and no power on the bike to recharge it. Also as I posted in another thread I would really like to get a dedicated GPS mounted on the bike just to simplify things a great deal.

So I have a couple of questions about how to connect into that wiring harness and be able to provide basic power for things on the bike. At the very least a usable power drop in the truck for keeping the phone topped up, and a power drop for a GPS. Possibly add some LED spots and some heated grips later. I am an electrical illiterate so I was hoping the OEM wiring would make this a little easier for me since I am the guy they wrote the "for dummies" series of books for.

I know from what I can read that the OEM harness is limited to 7.5 amps which doesn't mean a lot of power. So I know I can't expect to run heavier loads from it and is why I will end up putting a direct drop to the battery so that I can use the battery tender and run a compressor, or jump the bike. So at least know to keep my expectations in check here as far as what can be powered.

So I found the thread on 3 pin and 4 pin 110 connectors. But I have no idea how that should be wired and it appears that with picture hosting site removing external hosting unless you pay the pictures are not there anymore. So I am trying to understand if I want to tap use that OEM wiring harness how does that get wired? Do I need a relay per plug I want to connect on the harness? So if I want to run a USB up to the bars/dash for a GPS I need a relay, and a 110 plug to connect it into the harness? And how do you know positive/negative how to wire it in the plug?

Also I understand the 12v Honda accessory plug has a 1amp fuse. Is 1amp enough to charge a cell phone or do I need to look at a larger fuse or replace that end of the kit with something else so that I can charge a phone?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Like I said when it comes to the electrical stuff I always had a shop do it in the past so I don't know anything about it for the most part. Be gentle with me. LOL

The relay you buy along with the accessory harness plugs into the bike’s fuse block. The accessory harness plugs into an existing 6 pin connector under the left side cover at the back corner of the frunk box. The four power connectors on the harness go live anytime the bike key is on. No more relays are required. The 110 connectors are a tidy, “right” way to connect your accessories to the harness sockets, but you can butt splice, solder, use your own connectors or whatever.

For the Honda 12 volt socket, they instruct you to route the 1 amp fuse holder under the left side cover. Don’t do that as it will not be accessible. Locate it in the battery compartment or else low behind the side cover so you can reach up and grab it.

Thanks for the feedback on the relay, and the fuse. What kind of fuse is this? Something I can pick up a any local automotive place? Is there any instruction here on the forum how to use and wire up those 110 connectors? Thanks again!

A USB adapter or GPS doesn't draw enough current to warrant the use of a relay. They usually include a fuse and that is enough protection. Before I bought a Garnim Zumo, I got a RAM mount and adapter to hold my automotive GPS and powered it using a USB adapter and the mini USB to USB cable the GPS came with:

Dual USB.jpg

The Zumo comes with a RAM quick release mount and a 12v to 5v converter. This is handy since it only takes a couple of seconds to pop off the GPS:

Garmin.jpg

On the 2014 (maybe other years too) there is an unused connector near the front, left turn signal that becomes a switched, hot line when the fuse and relay is added to the fuse box. I used that line to power both the USB adapter & the 12v to 5v converter. Being old school, I cut, soldered & shrink wrapped into the line. If I were to add lights I would use a switch to activate a relay that controls the light's power from a fused, direct connection to the battery.

On the 2014 (maybe other years too) there is an unused connector near the front, left turn signal that becomes a switched, hot line when the fuse and relay is added to the fuse box. I used that line to power both the USB adapter & the 12v to 5v converter. Being old school, I cut, soldered & shrink wrapped into the line. If I were to add lights I would use a switch to activate a relay that controls the light's power from a fused, direct connection to the battery.

So there is a connector just sitting there to be used near the turn signal? Do you know what kind of connector is on it? Is this one of the 3pin 110 type connectors? I wasn't aware of this unused circuit.

Thanks for the pics and the description of how you have this setup. :)

It's a two pin connector and there's a blank mating plug in the end. I just cut it off and spliced wires into the ends. There's a few plastic panels that have to come off to get to it. I had dropped the bike and broke the LF turn signal and had to remove them to replace it, so I did the wiring while I was in there.

Thanks for the details on that connector. If anyone knows what kind of connector that is and where to order them that would be great. Would be nice to have some place to tie into switched power already in place.

Back