• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Heated Grips Problem

sezme

Reaction score
Visit site
I somehow doubt anyone will have an answer to this question, but here goes: My Honda heated grips have always worked fine, but this fall, whenever I turn them on, they turn off after five minutes. Always five minutes. I can turn them on again and continue doing so as long as I ride, so in a sense, they still work. But obviously this is a pain.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening? My best guess is "something... something... electricity". Could it be as simple as that my bike's battery is getting old and not holding enough power?

Just to say that I've the OEM heated grips too ...but this isn't something I've ever experienced. I don't think that helps, but it's an odd thing to experience ...following this post in case it's something on my 2013 700X I've got to look forward to in the future

I don’t know if this will be helpful. I’m presuming Honda repurposes tech across product categories. I know that on their quads heated grips shut down with low voltage by design. I guess it could be the same for bikes? Guessing but trying to provide a starting point for you to consider.

I would first investigate this as a possible low voltage problem. What is the condition of your battery? Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it? We could offer advice on how to determine if your battery has a low capacity or is in a low state of charge. Age itself is one factor, but age alone cannot tell us how well the battery is performing.

Besides the heated grips, do you have any other added high current loads running on the motorcycle?

...My best guess is "something... something... electricity". ...
There must be a temperature setting controller and, I suppose, thermostatic overload protection for the circuit.
You don't say if something like that is with your heated grips.
It's hard o speculate if you don't know the details.

Besides the heated grips, do you have any other added high current loads running on the motorcycle?
Nothing beyond the ordinary.

I have a multimeter, but I haven't tested the battery so far. I know it's a 12V battery in theory, but I don't know what is considered too low when measuring the voltage.

There must be a temperature setting controller and, I suppose, thermostatic overload protection for the circuit.
You don't say if something like that is with your heated grips.
It's hard o speculate if you don't know the details.
There is a temperature setting... The unit has one button. Press it once for full power, press it again for medium, and a third time for low. A fourth time will shut it off. And it does work that way. It's just that it turns off after five minutes, no matter which temp it's set to.

If this happens when the engine is running, the main power source is an alternator which will surely provide enough energy.
The heater may only be turned off by the controller, a safety device or a connection defect. There is a high probability that one of them is faulty. But nowadays, when everything is modular, it is rather difficult to repair.

The OEM heated grips have a dedicated controller box and it might well be worth checking how well the wiring loom connector is attached to the controller box plug. I'd suppose that the plug might be loose or corroded or have some kind of bad connection.

Instructions for installing the OEM grips can be found at https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T70-MKW-D00.pdf The controller box is item #3

Thank you very much, everyone for your suggestions. I did end up buying a new batter for the bike, as there were other issues that indicated that it was starting to give up the ghost. I was hoping that that would fix the heated grip issue... but it didn't. It's too cold out now for me to try to disassemble the wiring and find the problem, so that job will wait for spring. Actually, it's finally too cold now to ride. But if I'm lucky I'll have a few good days yet before I have to put it away for the winter.

Looked at my 2012 Honda installation instructions and Operation manual I see this in the operation manual...1. When the ignition switch is ON and the motorcycle,s battery voltage is low, the indicator flashes. Charge the battery or troubleshoot the charging system. If the flashing continues,replace the heated grip because it may be damaged. 2. If the battery voltage becomes low during heated grip use, the heated grip will switch OFF and the indicator flashes. The indicator will continue to flash even when the battery voltage recovers after riding. To re-activate the heated grip, press the switch once to turn the heated grip OFF, and then press it again. After the battery voltage has recovered, the heated grip can be used. 3. Do not use the heated grip for a long time with the engine stopped or idling. This can discharge the battery. 4. If the heated grip performs abnormally, please consult with your Honda motorcycle dealer. And in the Install guide under troubleshooting. Symptom Heated grip does not operate: Faulty heated grip, Faulty heated grip coil, Blown fuse, Open or short circuit in heater harness, Faulty heater switch. Check 1. Check whether wires and cables are connected securely. 2. heated grip inspection Check for resistance between the terminals. Right & Left 2.2 ohms +/- 10percent. 3. Heater harness inspection: check for continuity. 4. If no abnormality is found after the above checks 1,2,3 but the heated grip still does not operate properly, replace the heater switch with a new one. * It is hard to check the switch with ordinary inspection methods (for continuity, voltage, etc) because it contains an integrated circuit. Hope this helps I would check the charging system and all the connectors first then the resistance of the grips. The controller is easy to replace I would do that next and then the switch last. Good luck

I have the accessory heated grips, with install instructions, I took off a 2013 but decided not to put them on my current 2017.
I wear coarse knit cotton Asian gloves, that have good dexterity inside a pair of oversized XXXL mittens. While riding I can put my left mitten in my crotch and easily pull my gloved hand out for anything needing dexterity.
In the nastiest conditions, my hands stay completely comfortable; better than heated grips.

They worked perfectly when removed 4 years ago. 1 wire to ground, hot single strand garage opener wire slid into handlebar brake switch, no soldering or wire cutting.
The 3-way switch (LED Fog Lights mounted on Givi Engine Guards) and 12V Charging Plug mounted in Frunk.
Will sell on site.

Attachments

• 4E22299B-EA63-49F7-AC3D-9A86D14EA77C.jpeg
    4E22299B-EA63-49F7-AC3D-9A86D14EA77C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 5E2521E3-D88C-43BE-90C6-0CA084B9CE61.jpeg
    5E2521E3-D88C-43BE-90C6-0CA084B9CE61.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • A963BB08-2AD7-4FDF-A683-A83217E86801_1_201_a.jpeg
    A963BB08-2AD7-4FDF-A683-A83217E86801_1_201_a.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited: