• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM hand guards

NCX19

Reaction score
Visit site
Being fall, I'm looking to add hand guards.

I see lots of posts re BarkBusters, Givi etc, but no mention of Honda's OEM guards 08P70-MKA-D80

Looking to see if anyone actually has 'em, and pros/cons of them, and installed pics?

I dont want to remove the OEM bar weights, or make mods that take away from the stock setup, except to add guards.
From what little I can see of the Honda guards, it appears they are a simple install.

Not a cost issue for me, as I can get Chinese ones cheap. More about wanting the OEM for straightforward fit and 'meant to be there' look vs tacked on.

thanks in advance :)

I liked the idea of a metal frame or spine to protect my fingers or knuckles in case a bumped into something, also something with a metal frame can protect your controls in case of laying it down (as happened to me) my Barkbusters protected my controls, if I hadn't already bought Barkbusters I'd look at something like this

JFG-RACING Black Handguards Hand Guards - Universal for 7/8" and 1 1/8" Brush Bar For off Road ATV Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki For Honda Motorcycle Pit Dirt Bike Motocross https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073LZ4L4H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xs-HDbJ7SS0QS

Last edited:
Being fall, I'm looking to add hand guards.

I see lots of posts re BarkBusters, Givi etc, but no mention of Honda's OEM guards 08P70-MKA-D80

Looking to see if anyone actually has 'em, and pros/cons of them, and installed pics?

I dont want to remove the OEM bar weights, or make mods that take away from the stock setup, except to add guards.
From what little I can see of the Honda guards, it appears they are a simple install.

Not a cost issue for me, as I can get Chinese ones cheap. More about wanting the OEM for straightforward fit and 'meant to be there' look vs tacked on.

thanks in advance :)
Just to clarify in case of misconception, Barkbusters don't require any modification from stock. You can even use the existing bar end weights and don't have to remove them, making the BBs an easy and straight forward install.

Just to clarify in case of misconception, Barkbusters don't require any modification from stock. You can even use the existing bar end weights and don't have to remove them, making the BBs an easy and straight forward install.

Ive been looking at BB for 2 reasons. I know the original post is asking specifically about Honda OEM.

But...
  • BB makes a direct fit kit for the NC7..x series
  • BB makes and LED light kit to add to their hand guards for added visibility.
I like that they have a specific kit for the NC series (they also have a universal kit that apparently fits the NC7..x). But I love the fact that they have the option for factory fit LED lights. If I buy any hand guards, and I'm not sure I will add them, it will be a set of BBs specifically so I can add the lights for greater conspicuity to try to prevent distracted drivers from hitting me.

I first installed the Givi’s to save a few bucks. Mistake. Just get the BB’s - as Dave said they install easily with no mods, you do not have to remove the bar weights, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the honda factory handguards, I bought them mainly because I knew they would fit. Turns out, plenty of others would fit too.

About the only thing I don't like about them is they have a mounting bracket about an inch wide that attaches to the handlebar that takes up space where you might want to mount something else, like a heated grip controller, auxiliary light switch mount, ram phone holder, etc. The handguards are made of an abs, plastic type of material that do a pretty good job of keeping the wind off your hands, but don't have any metal in them to offer any protection in a crash scenario. They have a bit of flex, they're not as brittle as the GIVI handguards, so they may not break if you dropped your bike.

The GIVI handguards I almost bought have a bracket that mounts onto the base of the mirror mount. I had them on my last bike. I would say the wind protection is better than the Honda OEM. They seem a little more brittle than the OEM's. They come with brackets that will work with the DCT or manual shift, as they're slightly different on the one side, since the DCT has a parking brake and the configuration is a little different.

As others have said, barkbusters will work. I'm not sure about all of the models but you can get them with a metal bar/frame that will protect your hands in a crash, and you can also remove the wind protector in the summer if you want without having to remove the mount. Pretty slick.

thanks Scott,
great info :)

also good info dduelin.
Video of the BB's being installed on a 700? showed internal bar weights and factory weights being removed.
Which model are you referring to? looking on their site the 750 single and 2 point versions also seem to require removal for the 4 i 'read more' on.

appreciate all the replies. I'll have to research BBs more for metal brace. Not sure I want to look at it behind
the guard, but the practicality of protection is a plus.

will see if dealer has the OEMs in stock so I can get a feel for 'em. tough choice,

Last edited:
The BB instructions do say to remove the OEM bar weights - I’m not sure why because it is NOT required and has no effect on installation or performance. It’s a very easy install on the 700.

The Givi mirror mount scheme is not that durable. The right hand bracket I had cracked after about a year. And they would be of no use in a drop or slow speed fall.

I have the SW-M Kobra's, used the OEM/existing weights etc. that came on the bike. No issues. I liked the styling better, the metal spine, and the available LED insert to provide another set of DRL & indicator lights. Install was prettytr straight forward.

The BB instructions do say to remove the OEM bar weights - I’m not sure why because it is NOT required and has no effect on installation or performance. It’s a very easy install on the 700.

The Givi mirror mount scheme is not that durable. The right hand bracket I had cracked after about a year. And they would be of no use in a drop or slow speed fall.

Good info, I'm also using the BB with the stock weights and no problems

I have the SW-M Kobra's, used the OEM/existing weights etc. that came on the bike. No issues. I liked the styling better, the metal spine, and the available LED insert to provide another set of DRL & indicator lights. Install was prettytr straight forward.
Those look great, the frame portion looks very similar to the BB but the plastic portion looks even sleeker, but dang they cost even more then the BB, just so you know BB also sells a LED insert you can wire up as turn signals or running lights

thanks Scott,
great info :)

also good info dduelin.
Video of the BB's being installed on a 700? showed internal bar weights and factory weights being removed.
Which model are you referring to? looking on their site the 750 single and 2 point versions also seem to require removal for the 4 i 'read more' on.

appreciate all the replies. I'll have to research BBs more for metal brace. Not sure I want to look at it behind
the guard, but the practicality of protection is a plus.

will see if dealer has the OEMs in stock so I can get a feel for 'em. tough choice,
I ordered the 2 point ones with Storm plastics for the NC700X DCT from Twisted Throttle. Removing the OEM bar weights isn’t easy so got some slightly longer screws and installed them using the OEM bar weights. I wanted the protection of the metal skeleton. Like noted, I remove the plastic cover in the warmer months and still have hand and lever protection.

I ordered the 2 point ones with Storm plastics for the NC700X DCT from Twisted Throttle. Removing the OEM bar weights isn’t easy so got some slightly longer screws and installed them using the OEM bar weights. I wanted the protection of the metal skeleton. Like noted, I remove the plastic cover in the warmer months and still have hand and lever protection.
Where did you get the longer bolts? I had a hard time locating any the same size, I ended up using the Barkbusters internals but keeping stock weights.

I got the VPS instead of the Storm model and regret that, the VPS doesn't block enough wind and if I want to let more wind through I just take the plastic off as others have mentioned

Where did you get the longer bolts? I had a hard time locating any the same size, I ended up using the Barkbusters internals but keeping stock weights.

I got the VPS instead of the Storm model and regret that, the VPS doesn't block enough wind and if I want to let more wind through I just take the plastic off as others have mentioned
I don't remember for sure as it was three years ago. I think I went to Fastenal.

I too am looking to install hand guards on my 2018 with DCT. I was going to start a new thread but I'll just add to this one instead. I'd prefer BB's but my issue is with clearance for a 20" Madstad. I had to install a 1" handle bar riser to stop the mirror stems from contacting the screen at full L or R lock so there's very little room for hand guards. Have any of you guys with Madstads run into this problem?

PS. I have the 2" risers but installing them creates the dreaded brake-cable-length problems.

I had my dealer install the Honda Handguards on my 2018 750 DCT. I didn't like the idea of losing the heavy bar end weights, but they were a direct fit, unlike BarkBusters, which will likely not work without a few runs to the hardware store.

Do they look like they are pointed down too far? Or is that how they're supposed to be?

Attachments

• 20200619_125427.jpg
    20200619_125427.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
I have the OEM guards. I don't plan on riding single track so no need for bark busters.

The install was quick and easy. The parts fit as if they were designed for each other. Wind reduction is quite good, temperatures in the low 40s (°F) are much more tolerable. Goes very well with the OEM heated grips.

I originally had Givi guards but I also wanted to use the stock bar end weights and wanted the exact fit. I don't have any regrets

The Kaoko throttle stabiliser and SW-Motech handguards, which I installed last week, seem to play well together with the OEM internal weights and Hondaline heated grips. The handguard frame is rigidly mounted and the Kaoko works easily. I used the original bar end weight screws.

update - I got the Honda ones. Original weights come off, but they have replacement weights with an added machined bit to accept the guard leg. Also came with longer weight screws - BUT mine didnt have enough thread and wouldnt screw in far enough to secure the guard and new weights. Fortunately I had a die and cut the threads longer. A lot longer. Guessing they got a new supplier for bolts. Old bolts are countersunk, and dont work well with the supplied washers for securing the guard to the bar end. Dunno if a one-off error, or more wide-spread problem, Impression looking down at the guards is the tops are too low. However with someone else on the bike, and me looking at it from the side, they seem fine. Otherwise, so far so good.
No fit issues or interference etc.

what model year did you put these on?

Back