• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Observations and Questions after 7270 miles

skiphunt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm wrapping up my last posts for my travel blog here: Moto-Southwest 2013

The trip was a little over 4000 miles and the ncx preformed well for the most part.

Some observations:

Off-road performance was better than I expected. Did some VERY rough washboard, mixed with erosion and large patches of soft powerdery sand. This was going the 32miles in/out of Chaco Canyon, NM. And, I did 34 miles in/out of rough dirt, gravel, mixed with large rocks getting to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon national forest camping. The rocks there thrown up to my boots, but nothing ever hit up at the engine or radiator on any of my off-road excusions at all. Just a little dirt. I did about 15 miles of the Valley of the Gods that's mostly dirt mixed with some gravel. No problem. I have no skid plate or extra guards other than the handguards on my bike. The bike also held up well for a fair amount of abuse. I lost one bolt during one of the worst washboard roads, but that was on my hand guard that I hadn't tightened enough. Nothing came loose on the ncx.

My best gas milage was going from the North Rim down to the valley in the North heading toward Las Vegas. It was going from higher altitude to lower, and mostly downhill... but I went about 65mph and still got 88mpg!!!

My worst milage was going uphill in New Mexico fighting fairly violent crosswinds the entire way, or heading directly into it. The tank only got me 52mpg. Not too bad considering how bad the conditions were. Mostly I got around 74mpg.

The bike was a bit of work on the interstate highways where the trucks were all going around 80mph. If I had headwinds, I just had to resign myself to riding in the slow land. Keeping pace at 75-80 dropped my milage to about 60mpg. I knew the ncx wouldn't be up to high speed interstate travel and avoided interstates when I could, but once I just resigned myself to being in the slow lane... it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

My Alaskan leather butt pad and yoga matt were not enough to combat the seat for long distance. I was good for about 3.5hrs. At 4hrs uncomfortable, and at 5hrs+ having to stop for an extended rest. I tossed the yoga matt layer and bought a cheap stadium air mattress at Walmart for $6 and slipped it under the sheepskin. Worked surprisingly well! It got me to about 5hrs of riding until pain ensued. It's got a leak now, but I definitely got my money out of it.

On the straightaways in the middle of nowhere, I wanted to see how fast I could go fully loaded and how bad it effected the gas milage. I was able to get to 100mph but that was about it. For that tank I varied from 85mph up to a max of 100mph and the gas milage was still 53mpg.

Now for a few questions:

The bike doesn't feel like it's shifting as smoothly as before. I kept the chain lubed the whole time, and cleaned dirt out of the chain at least a couple times during the trip. I thought maybe the chain needed to be tightened, but it still feels about right all the way around. The shifting also feels a bit slippy. I thought maybe the clutch level needed to be adjusted, but the play is about what the manual says. I obviously could use a fresh oil change very soon, but do you think fresh oil will get my shifting smoothness back where it was prior to the trip?

The bike doesn't feel quite as peppy as it did before the trip, but that just might be related to my getting used to it, or possibly whatever is causing the clutch to feel slippy. Any ideas?

When I first got this bike, I bought it out of state and rode it home. The very first tank, I ran out of gas. I wrote this off to lack of sleep, unfamiliar bike, not paying attention... but I could have sworn it showed 2 bars on the gauge when it ran out and left me pushing it to a gas station. Well, it happened again when I was in Las Vegas. I went to start up the bike and it seemed rough... like it was about to run out of gas, but showed 2 bars. I rode it about a mile or so still showing 2 bars when it ran completely out of gas and I had to push it at night in Las Vegas to a gas station. It was only about half a mile, but not fun in Vegas evening traffic. I'm certain there's something wrong with my gauge and will be taking that too the dealer. But, it's curious that I'd only have the problem on the first tank, then be fine for 6000 miles before doing it again. I've read other's have had the exact same problem and got it fixed at the dealer. Did they replace the digital dash or do something related to the sensors? Or, is there something that had to be reset that I could do myself?

Last edited:
Ahh, the marriage bliss is over, eh?

Not sure what slippy shifting is as opposed to sticky shifting. For sticky shifting, have you checked that the shifter lever linkage is lubed, and that it doesn't need some adjustment? I recall a post on here where the linkage pivots had dried up and got sticky. For slippy shifting, is the clutch lever pivot hanging up, or is the cable sticky?

Some will say their bike shifts better after an oil change but I've always thought that was just a psychological thing. Worth a try.

The stuck fuel gauge thing has been reported here before, but I don't know if a solution was ever found or reported.

Greg

Last edited:
Ahh, the marriage bliss is over, eh?

Not sure what slippy shifting is as opposed to sticky shifting. For sticky shifting, have you checked that the shifter lever linkage is lubed, and that it doesn't need some adjustment? I recall a post on here where the linkage pivots had dried up and got sticky. For slippy shifting, is the clutch lever pivot hanging up, or is the cable sticky?

Some will say their bike shifts better after an oil change but I've always thought that was just a psychological thing. Worth a try.

The stuck fuel gauge thing has been reported here before, but I don't know if a solution was ever found or reported.

Greg

No way! Marriage bliss is not over at all! LOVE the bike and it's perfect for my use, ie. mostly riding around town, but holding it's own on a few long distance tours with occasional off-road if I need to get to a campsite. Would buy another one.

Slippy wasn't quite the right word I guess. It feels like the clutch isn't disengaging quite enough on shifting and it's just not as smooth and quiet when shifting in general as it was before the trip. Shifting linkage sounds like a very good suggestion, but I haven't a clue how it should be adjusted. Will check that it's not dry. Upon oil changes, I've been able to tell a change in shifting with my KLR and Vstrom... but it was always marginal. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
I've had the same fuel gauge issue you speak off. My fix was to carry extra fuel. It only happened to me once, and since I now carry extra fuel it has never happened again. I didn't bother to take it to the dealer since it has not been repeatable, and I'm not paying for shop time for them to tell me nothings wrong, we can't make it fail like it did for you sir, we can change it out for you if you like for $$$$. So now I carry two 30oz MSR fuel bottles, everywhere I go just incase.

As for the shifting, you are close to the 8k mile service so maybe get an oil change and see how it feels. Or do the full 8k mile service and if the oil change fixes the shifting problem, maybe a valve adjustment will help the lack of pep.

I've had the same fuel gauge issue you speak off. My fix was to carry extra fuel. It only happened to me once, and since I now carry extra fuel it has never happened again. I didn't bother to take it to the dealer since it has not been repeatable, and I'm not paying for shop time for them to tell me nothings wrong, we can't make it fail like it did for you sir, we can change it out for you if you like for $$$$. So now I carry two 30oz MSR fuel bottles, everywhere I go just incase.

As for the shifting, you are close to the 8k mile service so maybe get an oil change and see how it feels. Or do the full 8k mile service and if the oil change fixes the shifting problem, maybe a valve adjustment will help the lack of pep.

Those bottles are a good idea. Wish I could get something similar to them that collapsed like the Platypus water bags... I'd just have them packed rolled in the front tank, and only use when I've got a long stretch coming.

What I did was just not go past around 165 miles without filling up. Both times it happened, it was basically a case if the red bar not coming on. Since I now know the absolute worse possible milage I can get with hard winds and top speed, I can just fill up before it gets there.

I remember one mechanic I used on my KLR asked if I wanted my shifting linkage lubed at one point. I told him sure I guess.... Afterward, it shifted waaaay better. I think Greg is on target with the shifting linkage needing to be lubed. While I was gone and had done a lot more dirt than I'd planned on, I went to car washes to wash all the mud a grit off the bike. I likely got overzealous with the high pressure cleaning and washed all the linkage lube away. Going to try that and see if it makes a difference.

Are people finding in general that their valves need to be adjusted within the first 8000 miles?

Regarding the gauge, I think it's likely more wide spread than it seems based on many of the posts I've read. If you don't run it down to the red very often, you'll likely never have the problem. When it did it in Vegas, I remember thinking, "Gee, it's at 189 miles after a hard interstate ride at high interstate speed coming through the edge of death valley... should have gone red already. Heck, should have run out already..." But, I trusted the 2 bars and started it up. Started like it was running on fumes too. I even thought, "I should likely hit that station right there just in case the gauge isn't reliable... Nah, I'll fill up on my way back from the strip when there's less traffic. Less than 5 minutes later, just as I suspected... it ran out of gas in traffic, still with 2 bars showing.

Last edited:
Looks like you had a great trip!

My best gas milage was going from the North Rim down to the valley in the North heading toward Las Vegas. It was going from higher altitude to lower, and mostly downhill... but I went about 65mph and still got 88mpg!!!

My worst milage was going uphill in New Mexico fighting fairly violent crosswinds the entire way, or heading directly into it. The tank only got me 52mpg. Not too bad considering how bad the conditions were. Mostly I got around 74mpg.

The bike was a bit of work on the interstate highways where the trucks were all going around 80mph. If I had headwinds, I just had to resign myself to riding in the slow land. Keeping pace at 75-80 dropped my milage to about 60mpg.

On the straightaways in the middle of nowhere, I wanted to see how fast I could go fully loaded and how bad it effected the gas milage. I was able to get to 100mph but that was about it. For that tank I varied from 85mph up to a max of 100mph and the gas milage was still 53mpg.

Very good fuel mileage, even with the 85-100 mph run!

I knew the ncx wouldn't be up to high speed interstate travel and avoided interstates when I could, but once I just resigned myself to being in the slow lane... it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

How fast was the traffic going, if the NC couldn't keep up after running 85-100? Wow!!

I'm one of those that can tell a difference in shifting after a oil change. I change oil at 5,000 miles or under though. I could tell a difference on my old GL1200 also.
I also carry MSR fuel bottles and watch my trip. When I get 170 miles on trip-A I know I have 70 miles or less to find fuel.

Thanks for the report!

Looks like you had a great trip!

Very good fuel mileage, even with the 85-100 mph run!

How fast was the traffic going, if the NC couldn't keep up after running 85-100? Wow!!

I'm one of those that can tell a difference in shifting after a oil change. I change oil at 5,000 miles or under though. I could tell a difference on my old GL1200 also.
I also carry MSR fuel bottles and watch my trip. When I get 170 miles on trip-A I know I have 70 miles or less to find fuel.

Thanks for the report!

I only did the 85-100mph way out in West Texas with mild wind. Oil country... flat... often no one out there but you. I don't need to go that fast but I wanted to see what it would do. With a headwind on the interstate, it'd be tough to break 85mph. In Texas, there are highways with an 85mph speed limit. That means that people go 90-100 on those highways.

Just checked the shifter linkage and both joints were bone dry. Just lubed them and will take it for a ride later to see if that did it. Will change the oil/filter soon before I take another 3-4week trip (hopefully within the next month or so). The lack of pep might be a perception thing. When it's not shifting smooth... I think it effects your overall perception of the ride.

Thanks for checking out the blog! I got behind on it, but didn't want to spend time writing/editing while on the trip so I'm catching it up now. Just updated the second to last leg yesterday and will post the final leg this weekend I think. More photos coming too. :)

Last edited:
I could always tell when my ST was due for an oil change as it did shift much smoother with new oil. I change the oil and lube the shifter and see if that makes a difference.
Mike

I could always tell when my ST was due for an oil change as it did shift much smoother with new oil. I change the oil and lube the shifter and see if that makes a difference.
Mike

Just got back from a ride after lubing the shifter linkage. Big difference... Greg was right. Thanks!

Am going to change the oil too for that last little bit of smoothness, but I think I accidentally ended up blasting all the lube off the linkage in one of my car wash visits. In fact, I think I can remember exactly when I did it. There's was a lot of mud caked on it and it took awhile of high pressure water to get it off. Guess it took off the lube too. ;)

Regarding pep... I'm thinking it has more to do with an evolution over nearly a month of touring travel. When I left, I was leaving it in a lower gear for most of my in town, stop-n-go riding. While traveling, I did almost no stop-n-go and was mostly just getting up to cruising speed... stopping just to get gas or when I got to my destination. Thus, I developed a habit of getting up into top gear quickly. As soon as I got back I was back in stop-n-go commuter type traffic, but was still shifting for highway cruising. In short, I think it's fine. All I need is an oil/filter change and I'll be ready for another trip. :)

Back