• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

now i know why

kjang

Reaction score
Visit site
Now I know why people install hand guards and or heated grips.
I was riding early this morning (3:00am) my finger tips were numb. Even though I wore gloves.

The jacket I wore(first gear - jaunt) has a liner and kept me very warm.

Now, I may get either hand guards or heated grips.

Ken

Last edited:
I was riding early thus morning (3:00am) my finger tips were numb. Even though I wire gloves.

Ken

Just got my heated grips installed yesterday. I have never had them before. I'm very happy I did this. It was only 53F riding home so I set them on the lowest setting and it was a very nice feeling. I had the dealer do it so it cost me a total $475 for parts and labor. I'm sure I could have done it myself but not allow to work on vehicles in my temporary living location.

Already had hand guards and they do make a difference.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Heated grips are on the short list for me. Hand guards are a strong maybe if I can find ones I like. My left hand took a good sized rock back in July off an oncoming truck & boat trailer, we were both doing about 65mph. Sure was glad my gloves have good, solid knuckles on them otherwise I'd have been dealing with broken bones for sure. If I get hand guards, it would be to prevent stuff like that.

I've been debating on getting hand guards too. I never rode with them before, but it seems with the NC I am prone to taking bugs (like a bumble bee) to the knuckles more often than my other honda. And it hurts like hell, doing 55mph and taking a hit to the knuckle.

Far as the cold, I usually wear a thick set of snowmobile gloves so the wind / cold isn't much of an issue.

I've been riding my wife's CB this week, with no handguards (and a low screen) as her parts haven't arrived yet.
I really notice the difference, on my NC I have used the heated grips twice, normally just the handguards do the trick.

Heated grips like heated clothing allow use of lighter weight apparel to stay comfortable and in the case of gloves still operate buttons or touch screen on GPS, audio, etc..

Once you use them it's hard to go back to bulky thick winter gear. Another benefit is if the weather is variable you are always prepared without having to carry different weight clothing items.

I was riding early this morning (3:00am) my finger tips were numb. Even though I wore gloves.

Ken

Here Here. I couldn't agree more. Tis the time for cold weather riding. Those are the tops on my xmas list.

Heated grips like heated clothing allow use of lighter weight apparel to stay comfortable and in the case of gloves still operate buttons or touch screen on GPS, audio, etc..

Once you use them it's hard to go back to bulky thick winter gear. Another benefit is if the weather is variable you are always prepared without having to carry different weight clothing items.

Great advice dduelin. The First Gear juant jacket I have has an inner liner which is removable. On those early morning rides, it vital that I must insert the liner.
Really does keep me nice and warm. During the daytime, I usually unzip the liner and store in my givi or frunk.

Usually my early morning rides are not to long, but this past weekend I rode much longer. If I continue this, I will for sure get the heated grips. Still thinking on which brand to get in terms of hand guards. Some fellas get the cycle gear version while other guys brand name gear.

Ken

Heated Honda grips with barkbusters storm guards are working really well so far for me. Coldest was a 35 degree morning a few days ago and it wasn't too bad at all

Those Moose handguards are serious kit ! Not very aerodynamic but no doubt effective. I use the same Barbuster frames but use their smaller plastic hand protectors mounted on the frames. Even they are very effective. If you are going quickly enough through a rain shower the plastic guards will actually keep the rain off of your gloves. In Wintertime (here in Ireland we can ride all year) I take off the plastic handguards and mount Givi Handlebar muffs over the Barkbuster frames. I would like heated grips but I have small hands and combining that with thick winter gloves I can have discomfort on a long journey.

Heated gloves. This way I control the temperature.

I just purcashed some the other day but I went with battery operated for now. The heated grips are great but when it gets down on the 30s my thumb and pinkie finger just are not staying warm. Next cold day I'm going to put these new gloves to the test.

I wouldn't like the wind deflectors only because of the fact that they make the bike look like an elephant! Go with the heated gloves option :) If not, the handlebars will do but thats added installation which can be a huge drag. If its freezing out there, I would definitely recommend heated gloves... I saw some cheap gloves on Motorcycle House | Leather Biker Jackets, Gear, Clothing and Apparel if you want to go that route. It'll save you installation cost.

Back