• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No more pilot road 4 for the NC.

Pilot Power are sport tires (meant for sport bikes / sporty riding) and won't last long (got two sets of Power 3 myself on another bike). For the NC that would be a mismatch, the Pilot Roads are the touring category for Michelin.

Got Road Smart 3 (after T30) on the NC and really like them. No idea about mileage, only 1000 miles in them.

Last edited:
Darn... I was hoping the "power" were meant to compete at the price low end with the "motions". Need something that's good for Interstate riding.
I like anything Michelin, but they're pricey.

I don't like the way Michelin Pilot Roads handle and no longer buy them but I will say that on my first NC700 I had a set of PR3s on when the rear wore out the front was still in very good shape. I installed a Pilot Power on the rear to go get maybe 5000 or 6000 miles on the set and was surprised that I did like this combo very much. There is something about the cross section of the rear Pilot Road 3 that I did not like. I found this tire mixing worked on the much heavier ST1300 with a PR3 front and a PR2 rear. If I wasn't so happy with T30s I might still be running a Pilot Road front and a Power rear on the NC700X.

I have had a couple of nice rides on the 5 rear, one two up.
Honestly I am not good or experienced enough to be a judge, but it feels good, smooth and quiet.
It is possible it feels a little less secure accelerating out of turns.

The best price I can find on a set of Road Pilot 5s is $335 shipped. Anyone find anything better? I'm thinking about making the purchase in the very near future.

The best price I can find on a set of Road Pilot 5s is $335 shipped. Anyone find anything better? I'm thinking about making the purchase in the very near future.

$328.14 shipped from americanmototire.com

They call it simply Road 5, but suggest it’s the replacement for the Pilot Road 4. I guess Road 5 and Pilot Road 5 is the same thing?

Last edited:
From a Revzilla product information page.

Building upon the success of the Pilot Road 4, the 5th generation of the popular Road series drops the "Pilot" prefix and takes on more of an all-purpose approach to an all weather sport and sport touring tire.

$328.14 shipped from americanmototire.com

They call it simply Road 5, but suggest it’s the replacement for the Pilot Road 4. I guess Road 5 and Pilot Road 5 is the same thing?

I saw that on a couple different sites so I am assuming the same. Thanks for the site. A 7 dollars savings buys me a tank of gas and a lottery ticket. LOL

I just checked Rocky Mountain ATV $327.81. Not much of a difference but I like their $6.56 in cash back for the next order...that's how they usually get me :)

I just got a Pilot Road 2 installed from Cycle Gear. The tire was ~$155 USD. $30 cheaper than the 5. Installation was $30.

The 5 is probably incrementally better than the 2, but I'm not a good enough rider to know the difference. This is a good time to get a deal on one of the older versions.

I just got a Pilot Road 2 installed from Cycle Gear. The tire was ~$155 USD. $30 cheaper than the 5. Installation was $30.

The 5 is probably incrementally better than the 2, but I'm not a good enough rider to know the difference. This is a good time to get a deal on one of the older versions.
How old is that PR2? IIRC the 2 was discontinued in 2012.

How old is that PR2? IIRC the 2 was discontinued in 2012.

Date code is 3217.

I know that tires degrade with time and that it occurs both on the bike and in the warehouse, but the degradation in the warehouse has to be at a much slower rate. Even if these tires were 5 or 6 years old or older, I have no doubt that they would still be safe.

That being said, I am a geologist and tires are not made of rocks.

Date code is 3217.

I know that tires degrade with time and that it occurs both on the bike and in the warehouse, but the degradation in the warehouse has to be at a much slower rate. Even if these tires were 5 or 6 years old or older, I have no doubt that they would still be safe.

That being said, I am a geologist and tires are not made of rocks.
A tire manufactured the 32nd week of 2017 is very fresh, no worries. I'm amazed they still made the Pilot Road 2 that recently but I looked it up and the 160/60-17 size we need is still a current part number.

After a few more miles I am not completely happy with the road 5. To me it seems to have less traction accelerating out of turns.
But it might just be in my mind. I am really not a skilled enough rider to have an expert opinion.

After a few more miles I am not completely happy with the road 5. To me it seems to have less traction accelerating out of turns.
But it might just be in my mind. I am really not a skilled enough rider to have an expert opinion.

I have about 300 miles on my set of Road 5s so I have not fully developed an opinion. I have not ridden in the rain either so can't speak for grip in wet conditions but I have zero complaints so far. I still think the front PR tire has a quicker cut-in or tipping point (don't know the technical term) than the others I have used. That might bother some people. I also feel I have less road noise coming through the forks than I did with the last set of Conti's which only made it 9000 miles.

I was being chased by a Harley this morning and decided to give him a run for his money so it was the hardest ride since the new tires. Pushed it hard on several turns and they held very well. I will start pushing them much harder in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I have about 300 miles on my set of Road 5s so I have not fully developed an option. I have not ridden in the rain either so can't speak for grip in wet conditions but I have zero complaints so far. I still think the front PR tire has a quicker cut-in or tipping point (don't know the technical term) than the others I have used. That might bother some people. I also feel I have less road noise coming through the forks than I did with the last set of Conti's which only made it 9000 miles.

I was being chased by a Harley this morning and decided to give him a run for his money so it was the hardest ride since the new tires. Pushed it hard on several turns and they held very well. I will start pushing them much harder in the coming weeks.

3000 miles and counting on my PR5’s. They’ve been outstanding for me in every condition. A lot of those miles were through the mountains - twisting, leaning, power in and power out... never felt an issue. Pricey but I luv ‘em.

Back