• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No more flat tires!!

This is similar to what I use, just in case my previous words doesn't make sense:

1317651341_98469917_2-STANLEY-79-036-TUBELESS-TYRE-TIRE-REPAIR-KIT-Subic.jpg

Casuality? I got my rear tyre punctured today. 10 minutes was the time invested to repair it with that kit. 100 km later, there is no leak, it works really well

Casuality? I got my rear tyre punctured today. 10 minutes was the time invested to repair it with that kit. 100 km later, there is no leak, it works really well

I'm always surprised when others say they don't like them, or have had poor luck using the things. I feel bad about this whenever I hear a problem, as I don't want to be one of "those" people, who brag about: "I'm good, nyaah nyaah! they work for me" lol

But really...after 40 years worth of riding so far, I've never had one repair yet, let me down, or cause a bad thing to happen. (granted I've always done them myself, all bets are off if someone else does it)

My rear tire on my ST, got a giant spike through it 5 km's into my first tour, when brand new. Like less than 1,500 kilometres new. I was up and running again in about 10 minutes, and that tire lasted me for the next three years and over 20,000 kilometres. Also I saw a number that looked suspiciously like "200 KPH" on my GPS, more than a few times over the years. nudge nudge, wink wink.

I wore that tire right down to the cords, literally. I would have never known it ever had a flat and was repaired. Never had to add air to it, other than the routine maintenance of front and rear pressure checking, of course.

I've had plenty of flats over the past year. One thing that I am 100% sure of is that you cannot fix a flat with a repair kit that is made for a car tire. Ask your dealer, they'll agree. You see, the motorcycle tire is rounded and can only take a "mushroom" style plug. This is done at the dealership. They have to remove the tire completely. I've gone to three different tire shops (for cars) and they've put in a standard plug in my punctured tire, but none of them held.

Don't know about the Rhino stuff, but I have this in my tires right now: Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On

I have not yet tested whether or not it will seal a leak yet. Used it on my last bike after getting a screw in my rear tire at work.

I also carry this when I ride: Stop and Go International - Tire Repair and Inflation Products Just in case..

I've had plenty of flats over the past year. One thing that I am 100% sure of is that you cannot fix a flat with a repair kit that is made for a car tire. Ask your dealer, they'll agree. You see, the motorcycle tire is rounded and can only take a "mushroom" style plug. This is done at the dealership. They have to remove the tire completely. I've gone to three different tire shops (for cars) and they've put in a standard plug in my punctured tire, but none of them held.

I'd disagree. I've plugged tires with the sticky rope 'cat turd' style plugs and put 10k+ miles on the tire no issues. When changing the tires I always inspect them closely and they've always looked rock solid.

I'd be nervous plugging a front tire with them long term just because of the huge disaster that would be a front tire blow out, but on the rear... I think they're a safe option.

Just my opinion, your results may vary, etc, etc...

trey

I've never in over 40 years, used a mushroom type plug on any of my motorcycle tires.

I've never had even the slightest leak, let alone failure, with any motorcycle tire I've repaired. These include tires I raced on, going well over 100 mph at the track.

Surely, after all the dozens of flats I've experienced over these decades, there is either something I'm doing right, or all of the dealers you had "fix" yours, had possibly ulterior motives...

... the dealers you had "fix" yours, had possibly ulterior motives...

Dealers with ulterior motives? Perish the thought! Actually, one of their ulterior motives might well be avoiding lawsuits stemming from semi-risky advice, but then again I'm naturally friendly and trusting and still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Mostly. Well, often. Okay, at least sometimes...

Anyway, I had a pair of flats in my pair of bikes last year and fixed both with the string plugs and a liberal coating of rubber cement. The repair from the 3" nail in my Suzuki cruiser is still good, although the tire's about shot. The repair in the Buell's rear tire always leaked a little, even after putting a small bottleful of the Slime "green goo" in it. That tire got an early retirement.

Here's one: Have a flat half-way up the Dempster Highway and 200 miles from the nearest service and you will patch the tire with whatever might stick. I lined up gummy worms four abreast in a wide shale cut and stopped every 15 miles thereafter to add a worm and air it up again. I got off the highway with 6 psi in the rear tire and I was damned proud of all six of them.

I have found the Stop-n-go mushroom plugs (applied from the outside) to work very well on round holes. It is the slits and slashes that defy solution. A simple nail or screw hole, I will patch it and run on for the life of the tire. A slash type cut, or one in the sidewall, and I am going as straight as I can travel for a new tire.

From my service station experience with auto tires, sidewalls do not plug. There isn’t enough material for the plug to bond sufficiently and the sidewalls flex works them loose. Same thing with patching sidewalls from the inside, the flex would loosen the patch. Slashes can be difficult to plug. It is hard to get repair material into the ends of the slash. Working the reamer at the ends of the slash to widen the opening can help. I wondered if slashes tend to travel as a crack in metal will travel and if widening the ends works in a similar way to repairing a metal crack. I’ve used multiple plugs in a single hole many a time. Amazing what will get into a tire….screw drivers, spark plugs, etc…

Quite so fellows, I neglected to stipulate that all of my repairs have been strictly tread locations, and no sidewall punctures or cuts/slices in the tires! I heartily agree that those types of things are not something I would mess around with unless it was an absolutely no alternative scenario.

This Rhino stuff is interesting... reminds me of the run-flat tires that have been advertised for autos... on the plus side, no 'pumping' necessary if the gummy layer does its job... on the subject of plugging tires, one will require the use of a pump amongst other things. Like Beemerphile said, when the chips are down, you do what you gotta do to keep going, using snacks and all if need be.
Just how much is the doggie in the window?

Last edited:
Back