• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nitron shock installation procedures for novices like me

Pipsqueak

Reaction score
Visit site
Nitron R1 shock installation into NC750X 2016 model (shock is the same as the 700x model)

Apologies if covered elsewhere but i find it useful if people post simple guides to doing things so here goes:

Shock arrived cheaper than originally thought thanks to Brexit and the pound collapsing. Shock is the same length and dimensions as the original but the spring seemed much shorter which concerned me but needn't have. I don't have a center stand so I had to put the bike in a bike grab so the bike was level and upright (bike grab is a front wheel stand which pinches the front tyre). Then I used the bike lever stand for the rear wheel, which is usually used to lube the chain, to lift the rear wheel and wedge a piece of wood under the two attachment points for the center stand being careful not to pinch the exhaust pipe. Lower it down and now we have a bike which is upright and ready for the procedure.

The right hand side plastic panel has an obvious screw which when removed allows the plastic panel to be carefully lifted to expose a hole in the frame to gain access to the top bolt for the shock. Apply a 17mm bolt and all's well there. Repeat for the bottom and we are in business. Shock now free but I can't get it out. Remove the bolt on the triangular frame thingy onto which the bottom shock bolt attaches and it can be swung down out of the way and the shock can be wiggled out. New shock to go in needs some sticky tape to stop the top and bottom bracket spacers falling out. Then wiggle it in from underneath, remove tape without spacers falling out (good luck) attach top bolt and then bottom, and partially tighten.

Reattach all other bolts and torque all to 44nm. Only hassle is the top bolt spins and so you need to remove the left hand side plastic panel screw, lift it up and then push a long 10mm allen key into the allen key hole on the top bolt so you can torque it from the other side. Requires some interesting yoga positions but works. Reattach plastic side panels, remove wedge and you are done.

I had to wind the compression and rebound down a few stops to get the magic carpet comfort ride I was looking for but it is an improvement over the original and I am more confident and comfortable on the bike now. Cost me GBP340 plus 50 for delivery to Sydney. I bought it through Nitron.

I have a HyperPro rear shock and it too has a short spring but it works fine. And since the spring is solid steel, think of all the weight saved by having a shorter spring!

A good friend has a Nitron shock on his CB500F and it looks almost identical to my HyperPro.

I went ahead and pulled apart the linkage to grease all of the bearings. Then while I was that far in I went ahead and dropped the swingarm to grease those bearings. It all needed greasing badly.

So how do you like the Nitron R1? Is there any advantage to going to the R2 or the R3 or is all that dampening and rebound adjustability overkill on the NC?

I'm considering getting some Cogent Dynamics inserts and springs for the front (considered the Race Tech but don't want to remove/drill the pistons...)

To complement that, I think I want a preload adjustable Nitron (or other) in the rear. I did a ride / camp rally last summer and the stock rear shock was showing its limitation with a full load of camping gear. I can only imagine it would be worse 2 up.

Back