• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New to me ‘12 NC700X

skills4lou

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings all. I just today picked up my NC. It has 25k miles, is the manual trans/non abs version. It came with some hand guards, fender extender, throttle lock, Givi pannier racks and a cool rear rack/back rest that was apparently made by a forum member, and a nice set of Nelson Rigg soft panniers. Tires, chain and sprockets have less than a hundred miles.
The rear rack and Givi racks aren’t compatible, so I’ll have to sort something out there. Anyway, I’m excited to be back on the road again after about 18 months hiatus.
700AEED3-C504-4026-8F25-C5FD7F29AED3.jpegBE9F6094-7C10-4DE3-9E3D-65D88AF8C573.jpeg67D7B5E5-1C5D-477A-9E72-F0C742F4378E.jpegC5E25E1F-B584-4427-8B07-90AFA89CBF1B.jpeg89C50EF5-0B18-4757-846E-D482AE87D8C0.jpeg05A30208-57BE-4C5E-B971-952A028B3286.jpeg4CB5979D-ACDB-4A0F-A974-E7CD2C72B87F.jpeg31774286-F6AD-4DCF-8E12-BB4C682EB45B.jpeg134CB93A-99FE-4136-B830-5C575A563484.jpeg

I decided during my trial ride that this bike reminds me of the NX250 I had for a number of years. I loved that bike, but ended up trading it for an Interceptor. I’ve always wished I had kept the NX, so it was an easy yes for me to go ahead and buy the NC.

Very nice!
Looks like Jonakay’s rear rack & backrest.
I believe you’re correct.
I’m back home now, and the bike is in the shop ready for a thorough going over. Once I’ve done that maybe it’ll be warm enough to ride!
DDDEEFDD-EB73-4947-A5A5-9532F9C28F27.jpeg
That was over one of the passes on my way home. Not the kind of weather I want to ride in on a new bike.
C0309B1A-9087-4B8F-AF65-318651CCF662.jpeg684026E1-11A2-4BA7-B318-09FF05A8E2F1.jpeg
And home ready for a good maintenance refresh.

I just finished checking a few things over. The clutch lever pivot was loose, I removed/cleaned/lubed that, and adjusted the clutch cable. The triple tree bearings have no slop, but move freely. All wheel bearings are good, as are the brakes. I'll still flush out the brake fluids, but no problems there just maintenance. I need to pull the lower cowl off to better inspect the lower end, but I'm going to wait on that until I get the center stand installed. (I should have waited on the triple tree/wheel bearings for that too!). The coolant in the radiator is down just a hair, but clean. I'll have to clean off the catch can and see what is in there, but it's not really important because that's all getting flushed/replaced. The engine oil is nice and clean and right at the full mark. That'll be changed as well, and I am NOT starting any flame wars on what I use. It works for me and my bikes, so we'll just leave that there. (Yes, I've been on other vehicle forums a few times, the oil wars are not worth wading into and I'm sure it's been hashed out on here too). Anyhoo, no red flags at all so far. We are supposed to be getting snow for the next couple of days, but I expect I'll be ready to ride by the time that clears up. Wahoo!

I have a tender on the battery, but need to install a SAE cable so I can just plug that in without removing the access cover. Does anyone have a location they've found that works well?
I'm also seriously considering removing the rear rack/backrest and just going with the Givi pannier racks for now.

The new Givi 1111kit arrived today. And I started assembly with the correct components. I’ll likely have to do some cutting and welding on the backrest/rack to make it work with the Givi setup, but for now at least the panniers will be solidly mounted. I’m waiting for the center stand and a couple small odds and ends to arrive, notably the small spacers that go inside the left grab rail to prevent crushing that. Once I have that, I’ll finish the Givi kit assembly.
318F65CA-6E4B-494B-9068-6940253A1529.jpegC9CDEC64-AAC2-4394-9AD4-A72EE4A31002.jpeg

A wet paste of Bar Keeper’s Friend for 2 minutes on the muffler will remove most or all of the oxidation that turns it brownish gold. No rubbing necessary.

Check the valves. It’s not a huge job. It may never have been done. I put it off for far too long and the gaps were too small. This was choking the engine. It felt like it gained 10 hp after resetting to spec.

Check the valves. It’s not a huge job. It may never have been done. I put it off for far too long and the gaps were too small. This was choking the engine. It felt like it gained 10 hp after resetting to spec.
Checking the valves is never bad advice or practice. However, I think your logic is wrong. If the gaps (rocker arm to tappet clearances) are small, it means the valve lift will be higher and the valve duration longer. This is beacause the rocker will engage the tappet farther and for longer, since the slack is less. The tight valve clearances you found would be result in a more free breathing engine, although excess overlap could cause idling issues. The engine gets "choked" when the valve clearances are too large/loose. I have to say if you felt like it gained 10 HP after adjustment, logic says that was more in your mind than in the engine.

Quick update: I got some service records from the dealer that the PO used.
21,537 miles: (June 2016)
- adjusted valves
-replaced coolant
-replaced front/rear brake fluids
-replaced spark plugs
-replaced engine oil/filter
-lubed/adjusted chain
-serviced air filter
-check suspension bearings for play
-check cam chain tensioner

21,951 miles (July 2016)
-new chain/sprockets
-replaced front/rear brake pads

24,086 miles (July 2020)
-new Shinko tires, with Ride-on
And a little surprise that wasn't previously mentioned: $2500 worth of new plastics because the bike was near his motorhome that burned to the ground. :mad:

That valve adjustment weighed heavily into my choice of the NC over the V-strom. I've never been a fan of the shim/bucket arrangement. I've done plenty of those, but the Honda version with the screw/locknut makes it much easier.

I removed the throttle lock today (any one want that one?), and adjusted the handlebars/controls better for me. I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting risers soon.
8434E6DD-72A7-4392-ADD8-4E41A135876A.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like I can't post any pics for some reason, but I do have an update. After work this evening I got the rear rack brackets all installed, and started putting the Nelson_Rigg panniers and Fox tank bag on. I'm planning to make a flat plate for the rear so I can strap a bag on when needed, and include a rear backrest just in case the boss decides she wants to go for a ride. I bought the Givi rack brackets from Mya on here because they bolt right up with the pannier racks the bike came with. I still need to install the center stand, and I've got some of the wiring harness to add heated grips. We had 3" of snow this morning, and rain this evening that melted the snow. Someday I'll get another ride in... :)

Back