• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New NC-X owner

Sloliver9029

Reaction score
Visit site
Took delivery of a 2020 NC750X DCT yesterday (the only positive thing I want to remember about this year). The dealer wouldn’t let me test drive it but I read every review and ½ the YouTube videos and decided it would work for me.

Twenty years of riding after a twenty year lapse; bikes owned: BMW’s 1100RS, 1150RS, 1200RT (wish I still had it), Piagio BV350, Suzuki SV650 “westrom”, BMW G310GS (still have) and Honda Metropolitan (Ditto). Three time Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 rider. Started out on a Yamaha 55 and Suzuki S-6 Hustler.

Love my 310GS but can’t keep up with my ‘Wing rider friend. The NC-X looks perfect for my style of riding and I am falling in love with the DCT. Live in Las Vegas (baby!) and there’s lots of traffic and some really nice/long stretches just out of town. Plan on short tours and riding around town.

I’ve already learned quite a bit from reading this forum for just a few days. Hope to gain much information and make some contributions. The bike is a blank canvas and many farkles await, starting with luggage and center stands. I could use some recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Oliver
Las Vegas, NV
2020 Honda NC750X DCT
2018 BMW G310GS
2016 Honda Metropolitan

I have a similar history to you loads of bikes and loads of miles. I now have a problem with my left leg and foot. I bought my nc750x dct about 3 months ago and noticed straight away that the suspension is awful. I fitted race tech gold emulators and springs to the front and a shock that I had removed from my Ducati to fit Ohlins. Just this change transformed the bike and made it far nicer to ride.
I also reset the DCT so it learns my riding style (slow and wobbly now).

I have a similar history to you loads of bikes and loads of miles. I now have a problem with my left leg and foot. I bought my nc750x dct about 3 months ago and noticed straight away that the suspension is awful. I fitted race tech gold emulators and springs to the front and a shock that I had removed from my Ducati to fit Ohlins. Just this change transformed the bike and made it far nicer to ride.
The ride is a bit harsh. Suspensions are the first thing to go when building to a price.

All I have seen is debate on the ability of the DCT's computer to "learn" shift points. Do you know for a fact that it "learns" or know of literature on this topic?

All I have seen is debate on the ability of the DCT's computer to "learn" shift points. Do you know for a fact that it "learns" or know of literature on this topic?
From what I can tell it does not have a long term memory but anticipates shift points based on throttle input. Originally I thought it was more like one of the Audi systems but it does not appear to learn.

I don’t know for a fact how it learns, but I have read threads about resetting if you are a new owner so that it does. I am also relatively new to the bike.

Last edited:
I don’t now for a fact how it learns, but I have read threads about resetting if you are a new owner so that it does. I am also relatively new to the bike.

I would lean more toward that being someone's recommendation that also doesn't know for a fact if the computer has learning capabilities. I once thought mine did, but I don't believe they do. The DCT reset is most commonly used when it encounters a malfunction.

From what I can tell it does not have a long term memory but anticipates shift points based on throttle input. Originally I thought it was more like one of the Audi systems but it does not appear to learn.
I don’t now for a fact how it learns, but I have read threads about resetting if you are a new owner so that it does. I am also relatively new to the bike.

We've had this discussion before. I don't believe Honda ever stated that the DCT actually learns a rider's riding habits. (And personally, I can't understand how it could because the DCT is the one doing the shifting anyway). However, owners have formulated their own beliefs, perhaps drawn or imagined from Honda's carefully and expertly worded marketing materials. If you believe the DCT "learns" your riding style, and it makes you enjoy the bike more, then so be it. In reality, if you do a DCT calibration or reset procedure, as I understand it, you are recalibrating the clutch engagement parameters, something typically done after a clutch replacement. This has nothing to do with riding style customization or long term shift point learning.

dduelin explains the often misunderstood DCT "learning" very well, and I have pasted his explanation below:

"The adaptive learning of the transmission we sometimes want to ascribe to stored memory and applicable to future rides but it has nothing to do with storing information over time. The programming of the PCM takes in real time information from various sensors at the wheels and in the transmission and alters shift points for the moment. For example if the rider is holding open wide throttle settings and the road speed is increasing appropriately in response to a wide open throttle it holds shift points longer to aid acceleration. If the rear wheel has lost traction on a dirt road and the engine revs up unexpectedly it doesn't blindly upshift at redline - it compares gear selection and engine speed to expected increase in road speed. If it doesn't match up to programmed expected acceleration it holds the current gear based on programming of the selected mode. If I was riding fast on winding roads and repeatedly dialing up WOT out of corners the PCM extends shift and downshift points appropriately. If I suddenly return to a more sedate riding style out of the last curve I'm necessarily asking less of the engine, it's rpm is steady or slowly changing, road speed is more steady and changing less rapidly so the PCM adapts the shift points to a sedate pace.

I think Honda called it "riding conditions monitoring". The Technology site use to have lots of DCT information but not so much anymore: https://global.honda/innovation/technology/motorcycle/DCT-picturebook.html "

I would lean more toward that being someone's recommendation that also doesn't know for a fact if the computer has learning capabilities. I once thought mine did, but I don't believe they do. The DCT reset is most commonly used when it encounters a malfunction.
It doesn’t do any harm to reset it as you don’t now if it has been working correctly in the first place. Some computers now have artificial intelligence, but I doubt the nc has. The only artificial intelligence my bikes got is me.

Last edited:
We've had this discussion before. I don't believe Honda ever stated that the DCT actually learns a rider's riding habits.
OF course it does! Just like the trannie in the Honda FIT does. And actually, since the NC has half a FIT engine in it, it's like, blatantly OBVIOUS why the DCT NC has those AI smarts too ; }

(NOT)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back