• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Mirrors, Anybody ?!? Let's see em'...

WOULD YOU CHANGE YOUR MIRRORS ?!?

• YES, PLEASE GET RID OF THESE THINGS !!!

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • NO, I LOVE THE MIRRORS !!!

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • MAYBE…. IF I FOUND A COOL SET….

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters
Those look the same than the originals…. I actually like the originals better that those.

"but thanks for your post..."

;)

I saw a Harley dude riding today with mirrors that appeared identical to the very first ones you posted here, but he had an altogether different concept of what looks hilarious versus cool, to me, lol

He had them cranked pointy end straight up so they were like horns or bat ears, hee hee hee! :eek::D:D He had Mr. Serious Cruiser Face going. I think I might have injured myself from laughing :eek:

Everybody is different. The totally ironic thing is, the NCX mirrors are the first and only bar mounted mirrors that I actually really like the look of, *and* I can use them without hunching my shoulders or contorting myself too much. Ordinarily I would have leapt at the first opportunity to fling OEM bar mount mirrors, so I am annoyed that I can't park at home with them installed.

Way back in the mists of time, I plagued the board here with my angst regarding this issue, soliciting ideas, and scheming complicated ways to retain them, yet make them quick release or quick adjustable. I came up with a clever method, but unfortunately the final result just didn't quite pan out the way I wanted, so it was back to the drawing board. :( (ie the LBS closet of unfinished things, lol)

The Double Take mirrors would actually be perfect for my needs, but I find them, so far, too unpalatable looks-wise to go that route unless I'm desperate. I suck for wanting something that looks good over something that works. Sigh. KTM 990 or 1190 mirrors are a wee bit closer to being a compromise for me looks/function, but still I resist.

Arrgh lol :rolleyes:

I for one want to see what those bad boys look like installed - the reviews on Amazon are very mixed when it comes to build quality, but I'd love to know your experience, Jay.

Does anyone have a link to ones with LED signals in them? I'd like to get rid of the3 stalks on the front fairing and run different mirrors with the signals in them, like some crotch rockets. I think it would give a different look to it.

-Jesse

That's a great idea. I have been waiting to buy a set of front signals that maych my micro rear flashers. But they are another 200 bucks...lol
They would pretty much eliminate the big orange bug eyes from my sleek black bike...

I love the rear ones and how they got rid of the huge stock signals

My mirrors have 2 nuts. I can't budge either of them. These separate right? any tips anyone?IMG_20140604_130602571[1].jpg

They would pretty much eliminate the big orange bug eyes from my sleek black bike...

I'm surprised you never went for the smoked lens and orange bulb mod, Jay? They make the signals blend in a lot, compared the the big ol' orange popsicles ;)

That was the very first thing I negotiated before even buying my bike lol, was the throwing in of 4 CBR1000R smoked lenses. :)

I know what you mean about wanting to match small fronts with your small rear signals now, though.

My mirrors have 2 nuts. I can't budge either of them. These separate right? any tips anyone?View attachment 17992

If that's the right side mirror, the thread you are trying to separate is a left hand thread. Try righty loosey instead of lefty loosey.

Last edited:
My mirrors have 2 nuts. I can't budge either of them. These separate right? any tips anyone?View attachment 17992

Put a wrench on the top (smaller) jamb nut, and hold it in place firmly. Put a wrench on the bottom large flange nut, and undo in normal counter clock-wise fashion.

If it's still a real bugger, do you have access to a vice? Put something like a couple pieces of thin wood or soft plastic between the jaws of the vice, and clamp the mirror stem upper jamb nut in between them (so not to mar the surface of it), with the larger flange nut sticking out the side. Then go at it with a wrench.

I was wondering if the bottom flange nut is just a spacer? Then, could it be removed to lower the mirror profile? Thanks JS

If that's the right side mirror, the thread you are trying to separate is a left hand thread. Try righty loosey instead of lefty loosey.

Really? Go figure! I haven't had to loosen the jamb nuts on my mirrors, but do take them off/on at least twice a day.

My Yamahas had the right hand mirrors with opposite hand threads as you describe, and you had to undo them "backwards", but my Honda mirrors have always been the same- a normal threaded stem with jamb nuts, both left and right.

I'm having dificulty picturing how the stem could undo normally, but the jamb nut have left hand threads?

JS,

As long as it's the same 10mm diameter, I don't see why not. But I can't remember if it is….

The threading will be opposite though. So back to righty-tighty again….lol

JS,

As long as it's the same 10mm diameter, I don't see why not. But I can't remember if it is….

The threading will be opposite though. So back to righty-tighty again….lol

Still doesn't make sense to me, lol. The whole point of a left hand threaded right mirror stem, is to, in theory, allow the mirror to loosen and pivot instead of breaking, if the bike falls over on the right side.

Having a right side mirror undo in the "normal" fashion, it just wouldn't make sense to have a left hand jamb nut. In fact I don't think it would work at all. My brain hurts.

Really? Go figure! I haven't had to loosen the jamb nuts on my mirrors, but do take them off/on at least twice a day.

My Yamahas had the right hand mirrors with opposite hand threads as you describe, and you had to undo them "backwards", but my Honda mirrors have always been the same- a normal threaded stem with jamb nuts, both left and right.

I'm having dificulty picturing how the stem could undo normally, but the jamb nut have left hand threads?

Speaking about the right side mirror only, since I don't recall which way the left side goes: The mirror itself screws into an adapter/spacer. The mirror and it's jamb nut are left hand thread. The adapter screws into the front brake master with right hand threads. Why, I don't know.

You are just removing the whole assembly. That is right hand thread. But in the post I was answering, the question was how to separate the mirror stalk from the adapter. That thread is left hand. Go try it.

Last edited:
Ok now we are getting somewhere. That said, Could I remove the spacer (flange nut) and still use the mirror by just screwing it in lefty? Whatchya think---JS

Speaking about the right side mirror only, since I don't recall which way the left side goes: The mirror itself screws into an adapter/spacer. The mirror and it's jamb nut are left hand thread. The adapter screws into the front brake master with right hand threads. Why, I don't know.

You are just removing the whole assembly. That is right hand thread. But in the post I was answering, the question was how to separate the mirror stalk from the adapter. That thread is left hand. Go try it.

! So the threads at the bottom of the mirror stems aren't actually the threads of the mirror stem itself, but threads on adaptors, which are then threaded *onto* the mirror stems, which use left hand threads?? Good lord, I never knew that! :eek:

And, ya I'll happily take your word for it, my friend! I'm blissfully unaware of all that crap going on in there when I undo and do up my mirrors, so...:eek:

Since mine are brand new and (probably) over tightened by the dealer my blissful unawareness disappears and becomes a cauldron of alertness with a dash of confusion! :confused:

Back