• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member with one question

K98shooter

Reaction score
Visit site
Good Evening folks,
I just joined this site and thank you for reading my first post! Let me introduce myself in few words before I go to my question: I am a middle age approaching man who learned to ride bike last fall (wish I knew what I was missing all these years, but anyway…) I am currently happy and proud owner of BMW F650CS, a single cylinder thumper. I just wanted to practice when I bought it and meanwhile identified my priorities. I know more or less what my next bike should be. I definitely want upright riding position, reliability, good torque/reasonable power and good fuel economy, as I commute a lot. F650CS and terrific bike but as I am commuting lot, vibration is an issue at highway speeds. So Honda nc700 came up high on my list, along with Suzuki V-strom and Kawasaki Versys. I sat on all three bikes and liked all three. All right, my question is actually addressed to dual clutch transmission-equipped bike owners: I am considering DCT version; I like the concept of DCT, short lag between shifts compared to manual tranny, but I am wondering how do you use DCT tranny in stop-n-go city riding situation. I use lot of “friction zone” to smooth acceleration/deceleration, as opposed to twist on/off and gear shift, as it makes bike less “jerky”. So how do you deal with this without being able to clutch in/out? Also, I use downshift for deceleration, before going into curve and sometimes inside curve, if I feel uncomfortable with stability. Surely no need to use brake to decelerate. How do you decelerate with DCT? Do you just roll off throttle and it downshifts Sorry for long post; I think on highway this is non-issue, but I am concerned in town riding situation I spent hours going through this forum but these questions remain.

Guess you have to test ride one to see what the DCT is all about.
You can run the DCT in the "manual mode" and it gives you the ability to upshift/downshift as you wish, using the "paddle shifters".
Actually you can do this any time, even in the auto mode.
Although I have ridden one I don't have one. Still like manual shifter.
I think you will get all kinds of inputs but until you ride one you really won't know for sure.
Ride one!

The dct is a very good transmission, and clutch system.
1. the motor always has full engine braking
2. shifting is faster and more precise then a manual trans, it will not miss a shift ever.
3. clutch action is better then any manual, clutch, the engage is very smooth, and always the same
4. depending on the mode you have it in, it is always in the correct gear
5. in sport or drive mode you can make it down shift with, throttle or with the paddle shifters at any time
6. in manual mode it will not up shift, but will down shift if engine rpm and speed is to slow, in a panic stop 60 to zero the trans will always be in the correct gear.
7. getting on the freeway in sport mode, you can just twist the throttle to the stop, and never have to look at the tach, and it will shift at red line every gear.
8. if you come to a stop, and lower the side stand, the motor will die, and the transmission will shift to neutral.
9. the transmission will not shift into gear if the motor is running and the wheels are turning. like coasting.
10. most of the time i run in sport mode, and toggle from auto to manual in the sport mode
possible weak links
1. do not load the motor against the brakes, like holding the bike on a hill with throttle instead of the brakes
2. as with the other hydraulic clutches, and electric shifting four wheelers, that honda makes, the oil must always be clean, and must be the correct oil and weight, with no after market friction modifiers.
This is one of my favorite clutch and transmissions, it is so user friendly. Dale

Back