• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member welcome thread..

Hi, I just bought a used NC700X DCT ABS. I pick it up Tuesday. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I got my endorsement about 12 years ago. But I own a vintage Lambretta scooter that I ride. Actually, I discovered that my M endorsement didn't transfer during my last move between states, so that's something I get to sort out tomorrow.

I'm looking to add a center stand, USB power and some luggage. I'm going to use this for commuting mainly with some weekend trips.

Cheers!

Hi, I just bought a used NC700X DCT ABS. I pick it up Tuesday. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I got my endorsement about 12 years ago. But I own a vintage Lambretta scooter that I ride. Actually, I discovered that my M endorsement didn't transfer during my last move between states, so that's something I get to sort out tomorrow.

I'm looking to add a center stand, USB power and some luggage. I'm going to use this for commuting mainly with some weekend trips.

Cheers!

Welcome Steve! This is a great bike for commuting. I have commuted over 20,000 miles on it since I bought my 2015 new May of '18. You have a lot in common with me as I had not been on a motorcycle in 15 years before I picked this one up. I also live in the Valley of the Sun and have commuted home when it's over 110 outside.

Get a good vented helmet, light summer gloves (I recommend a color other than black) and a light cover if you are going to leave it outside at work. Not covering the hand grips and the seat is a rookie mistake that I made the first day I rode in to work in June. Now that it's August and the monsoon is weak this year, you don't want to come out to hand grips that are so hot that the gloves won't matter.

Thanks. I am looking for better gloves and ordered a Klim jacket. What do you do about your pants when you commute? Just wear trousers?

I saw a bike at Chase Field with a neat cover that went from the handlebars to the seat, I'll get one of those. Any advice on side luggage? I don't like the looks of top boxes. Cheers.

Thanks. I am looking for better gloves and ordered a Klim jacket. What do you do about your pants when you commute? Just wear trousers?

I saw a bike at Chase Field with a neat cover that went from the handlebars to the seat, I'll get one of those. Any advice on side luggage? I don't like the looks of top boxes. Cheers.
Congratulations on the NC and welcome to the forum.

I live in central California and it gets almost as hot around here (108f° a few days ago) but I leave for work between 0100 and 0200 so most if the time I'm still wearing riding pants over my jeans for the warmth, in the morning the added safety is a bonus.

I recently purchased a Tourmaster air intake 5.0 jacket on the recommendation of another rider here that owns a previous model 3.0/4.0 either way I'm very satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone living in an area that gets hot.

I ordered Klim Dakar pro gloves and they're supposed to arrive tomorrow, after some use I'll report back if I'd recommend them

As for the hot seat, it was recommended that I install a sit-n-fly seat cover on my NC (more common on dirt bikes) I can easily say it's the best thing I've done for comfort, it separates you from what would be a hot seat, once your riding it allows air flow under your butt and it even adds a small degree of extra cushion, all for around $10

Last edited:
Hey Steve, a hearty welcome from north Idaho! There are a lot of choices for side cases, bags etc, and there is even a thread about it on here and most of the guys posted pictures of theirs. :{)

Hi, Matt from Cleveland, Ohio checking in.
First of all, I want to thank so many of you who have already taught me so much over the last 5 months of ownership. I purchased a new 2015 manual in the spring, and have put on about 3,500 miles thus far. I'm commuting most days, with a couple of longer pleasure rides on the weekends when I can sneak away.
It has been almost 20 years since I had been on a motorcycle, a 1978 Honda CB750K, though I have messed around on dirt bikes, quads, and love mountain biking more than this aging body does.
I had no idea how much I was going to drop in time and money in various little farkles to my bike, but I've been loving the heck out of making her mine.
My wife is even on board and wanting to pick up a helmet so we can do some 2 up riding, which I think will be awesome.
Last couple farkles that I am looking at right now include lights, and potentially a fuse block, for later additions like heated grips and potentially a seat as well.
I love the fuel efficiency of the ncx, and the fact that it can do so much quite well for me is a lot of fun. I feel like she's the perfect match for me, a jack of all but not necessarily a master.
I went with a huge top box, and although it does take away from her sexy factor, it's practicality is too much for me to say no to. My Frunk is well-packed with a very carefully planned assortment to get me through just about anything.
Thanks again 4 having a wonderful community to patch into.

Attachments

• 0611192226a.jpg
    0611192226a.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 51
Hi Matt,
Welcome. Interesting paint scheme in the picture. Is that all black accented with reflective strips?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It is black reflective tape, really quite subdued during the day, but I hope that it's enough to catch some eyes at night. I also took some scraps of industrial reflective adhesive tape that are used on some of the trucks at work, to accent my helmet and a couple small spots on the back of the bike.

Attachments

• 0702191517c.jpg
    0702191517c.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 0611191905.jpg
    0611191905.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 50

I love my Klim gear. Apex Air jacket owner here, love it. I don't commute so no recommendation on over-pants.

My wife has Givi brand V35 boxes. Good locks, but I don't like how the clamshell opening can dump things out onto the ground when you open the cases ... this complaint applies to all side cases that open with a hinge on the bottom.

I have Hepco & Becker GOBI side cases. I love them. Double wall plastic that can take a beating (I ran one into a brick pillar :mad:) and it barely scratched, no dents, still 100% watertight, etc. Highly recommend H&B products.

Just bought an '18 DCT with 2,500 miles on it from a Triumph Yamaha dealer that gets the trade-ins from local Harley dealers. Really nice shape. Givi crash bars, monokey luggage racks with power outlet and mini tool box, rear rack, touring windshield. Plus led aux lights, akrapovic muffler, hand guards, center stand. Other than the muffler, pretty much all stuff I would have added anyhow.

Need to change OEM pegs, get side cases, figure out highway pegs location, maybe get a little heavier duty bash plate, add some radiator protection and throttle lock (figuring cruise control probably not available) but other than that it's pretty much finished. Any product/vendor suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Nice size for me now and looking forward to the DCT. Past bikes have included KLR 650, a Harley Road King, Triumph Explorer 1200, BMW R1200GSA, and even a couple touring scooters. Iron Butt member but maybe not with this bike. I imagine the bike could handle it but not sure about my knees with the somewhat sport bike-like peg position. We'll see how I travel with it. Maybe it will be a more comfortable long distance bike than I expect. Meanwhile, most of my riding is local and day trips. It's been awhile since I looked forward to a new (to me) bike as much as I am this one.

Dealer pics are pretty good, so here a few.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I actually wear dark clothes at work mostly because driving a truck is a little grimy. So, yes it gets HOT on my way home wearing black jeans and a dark workshirt but when I get home and get into the A/C it feels so good. But no, I don't change for work because it just takes extra time and hassle.

Welcome SteveADV. Nice looking bike. You might want to get a bash plate first to have more options for highway peg locations.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Sweet bike! Already got all the goodies, and saved you the labor of installing it all.

I am left leg below knee amputee and said knee will not bend past 90 degrees, thus the need for a highway peg on the left side of my DCT nc700x. The Kuryakyn (forget the part number) offset highway pegs with clasps for 1.35" tubes is what I ordered, and several other members here use them as well. Their location provides a very natural foot location, and you can move the clasp up and down the tubular section of the frame rail and swing the offset around to get just the right leg angles. Highly recommend this method, as highway pegs mounted on crash bars will put your legs outward a little farther on each side.

My only issue is I could not get the one mounted on the right side. The frame rail curves a bit at the bottom as compared to the left side, and the clasp is already really tight as seen in first pic below, however they must be tight like that to prevent them from spinning. I may could have worked at it longer and got it to work, other members here mounted them on both sides without issue. I just don't really need one on that side so once I saw it was gonna be trouble, I said screw it and moved on to the next modification.

Some pics.

fccb52ff941cdc593b953ee90a5776df.jpg

11a764246053df467c7376fbe998df5b.jpg

2eb6908ae397ac03d87934a385a85510.jpg

43113cc935995e5ad035a2e03efba8df.jpg

cc078d419880635090babaa876dafa61.jpg

764cde3d27abdeecbaf703170a512d57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the highway peg ideas. As you can see from my "Join Date" I've been lurking around here for quite awhile. Probably since I first heard about the NC700 coupled with a DCT. Lots of good stuff here.

Obligatory new member post. Already used this forum to evaluate whether I should purchase this bike so thank you all!

2015 NC700X manual - new old stock. Picked it up out of state so my first ride was 250 miles covering three states!

day_one.jpg

Last bike was a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 450 that I sold 20 years ago after my son was born. Wife was not thrilled with the purchase but her 'single mother raising kids' argument lost its teeth after our youngest moved out. She tried to trip me up the second day I rode it to work by asking me to pick up some Chinese food on the way home... FRUNK to the rescue!!!

frunk_chinese.jpg

Obligatory new member post. Already used this forum to evaluate whether I should purchase this bike so thank you all!

2015 NC700X manual - new old stock. Picked it up out of state so my first ride was 250 miles covering three states!

View attachment 38973

Last bike was a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 450 that I sold 20 years ago after my son was born. Wife was not thrilled with the purchase but her 'single mother raising kids' argument lost its teeth after our youngest moved out. She tried to trip me up the second day I rode it to work by asking me to pick up some Chinese food on the way home... FRUNK to the rescue!!!

View attachment 38974

Some darn good riding country down around you. Enjoy the bike!

Back