• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member welcome thread..

New member here, been lurking awhile. I got a deal on a NC700x I couldn't refuse and I've really learned to like this little bike. I've put a set of Conti. TKC80s on it and have been hitting a lot of trails and am really impressed with the offroad capabilities of the bike.
Anyway, just saying howdy and I'm off to the tech section.

New member here, been lurking awhile. I got a deal on a NC700x I couldn't refuse and I've really learned to like this little bike. I've put a set of Conti. TKC80s on it and have been hitting a lot of trails and am really impressed with the offroad capabilities of the bike.
Anyway, just saying howdy and I'm off to the tech section.

Howdy from Texas! When in the off road mode, take it slow. The TKC 80s do a very good job off road, keep the air pressure down to about 25lbs, otherwise will get the bouncy, bouncies when off road. I carry a air pump in the frunk to change the air psi settings. The steering stops on the front yoke will hit the yoke when doing a quick turn, hard front wheel breaking, or hitting a pot hole, and that will but you on the ground. That is the reason for slow when off road. Also only about 5 1/2 inches of fork travel. Other than weight, those are your off road delimiters.

Here is an example of the bouncy, bouncies using TKC 80's when you do not let the air pressure down to 25 lbs. Check out the windshield!

[video=youtube;F1zbtWll3nU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1zbtWll3nU[/video]

Last edited:
Howdy from Texas! When in the off road mode, take it slow. The TKC 80s do a very good job off road, keep the air pressure down to about 25lbs, otherwise will get the bouncy, bouncies when off road. I carry a air pump in the frunk to change the air psi settings. The steering stops on the front yoke will hit the yoke when doing a quick turn, hard front wheel breaking, or hitting a pot hole, and that will but you on the ground. That is the reason for slow when off road. Also only about 5 1/2 inches of fork travel. Other than weight, those are your off road delimiters.

Here is an example of the bouncy, bouncies using TKC 80's when you do not let the air pressure down to 25 lbs. Check out the windshield!

[video=youtube;F1zbtWll3nU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1zbtWll3nU[/video]

I carry a little Kobalt 12v compressor with me to air up. I cracked a GIVI windscreen riding to fast on hard tires.
As you can tell its time for some new treads, pic is from Sunday's ride. Great website, been reading half the day.

From seeing the pictures I guessed you were in Alabama. Then I saw you are on Alabama back roads. I road many an Alabama back road in between 1967 to 1970. I was in the Army at Ft. Rucker. Erosion was a big problem back then. A road could be here today, but washed out and gone tomorrow.

The only windshield I have found that holds up well off road is the National V-steam, because it is hard coated polycarbonate.

What are the Benefits of Hard coated Polycarbonate?
Outstanding impact strength! Nothing else comes close to matching the impact strength of polycarbonate, making it the ideal material for adventure motorcycle windscreens. It is 10X stronger than H.I.A. and 20X more impact resistant than acrylic plastic (Lucite®). Real world testimonials, like the one from a customer who met a ball peen hammer at 75MPH attest to the outstanding impact strength of polycarbonate.

Picture of Windshield: http://nc700-forum.com/gallery/nc700-modifications/p1011-national-cycle-vstream-touring-tall-clear-windshield.html

Last edited:
Thanks I'll look into the National V windscreen. How is the wind protection at hi-way speeds? The GIVI didnt make 2 trail rides.

Last edited:
Another new guy - to the forum and the NC700X, not to motorcycling.
Never mind how old I am, but I've been a licensed motorcyclist for over 50 years, plus a couple riding in the dirt or covertly before that. Started out on British singles, and have been through about 20 bikes since then.
I pounced on a used 2014 NC700X at the first of the year, and have ridden it a total of 15 miles, mostly in a snow squall, to get it registered and inspected. I think it's everything I was hoping for, but talk to me again next summer.
Glad to be here. Some time I'll write about the mods done so far and planned, and ask your advice about luggage and the like.
The user name is in honor of Bugsy (Dick) Mann, my hero when I first started riding. He still is, for that matter.

The user name is in honor of Bugsy (Dick) Mann, my hero when I first started riding. He still is, for that matter.

No doubt that Bugsy is the greatest motorcycle man ever. Only he has his own room at the hall of fame. Bugsy's straw hat in the pits became a trademark.

During the Nobby Clark controversy, Bugsy sent the hall of fame his membership back, and removed himself from the hall. It was not long before Nobby was a member.

Howdy from Texas!

The only "close" connection I had to him was when he came east to contest the Grand National in the midwest events. The cycle shop (shack?) where I hung out as a kid had a couple of Goldie riders, so I was updated on his progress every time I was there. The thing that impressed them most was he did everything; he tuned his bikes, he rode his bikes in every kind of event, he even did his own pin-striping! I also have notebooks full of photographic negatives from his road races in the mid-60's.
I lived in Texas for five years in the service - Wichita Falls; I trust the part of Texas you're in is better. I have a daughter living in Houston, so I might be in the neighborhood sometime.
Cheers,
Bugsy - Ride more, worry less.

The only "close" connection I had to him was when he came east to contest the Grand National in the midwest events. The cycle shop (shack?) where I hung out as a kid had a couple of Goldie riders, so I was updated on his progress every time I was there. The thing that impressed them most was he did everything; he tuned his bikes, he rode his bikes in every kind of event, he even did his own pin-striping! I also have notebooks full of photographic negatives from his road races in the mid-60's.
I lived in Texas for five years in the service - Wichita Falls; I trust the part of Texas you're in is better. I have a daughter living in Houston, so I might be in the neighborhood sometime.
Cheers,
Bugsy - Ride more, worry less.

I live in Webster, Texas that is just outside of Houston near NASA. If you get near, send me a PM and we will RIDE. In April I will be near you, as a few of us NC700 riders are going to the Horizons Unlimited 1st Virginia Travelers Meeting - Holiday Lake 4-H Center and Camp, near Appomattox, Thursday, April 9 to Sunday, April 12, 2015.

Horizons Unlimited Travellers Meeting Virginia 2015 | Horizons Unlimited

Back