• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member from Tampa needs help on modifications

paul haugan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello
I need advice on possible modifications to a NC 700 or maybe a CTX 700. Myself and wife Claudia have owned motorcycles for 45 years. I have a 1992 Suzuki GSX 1100 g and a 1975 Norton 850.Claudia has a 2002 Suzuki 600 Bandit and a 2007 Suzuki 1250 Bandit. Claudia also has rheumatoid arthritis and is now having trouble with clutch and brake levers. I want to build a new modified motorcycle for her. The DCT will get rid of the need to use a clutch. I would also like to move the brake lever to the left side. this will make best use of her hands. We are looking for the best wind and hand protection we can find as well as the best heating options.
Thanks
Paul Haugan

Hello
I need advice on possible modifications to a NC 700 or maybe a CTX 700. Myself and wife Claudia have owned motorcycles for 45 years. I have a 1992 Suzuki GSX 1100 g and a 1975 Norton 850.Claudia has a 2002 Suzuki 600 Bandit and a 2007 Suzuki 1250 Bandit. Claudia also has rheumatoid arthritis and is now having trouble with clutch and brake levers. I want to build a new modified motorcycle for her. The DCT will get rid of the need to use a clutch. I would also like to move the brake lever to the left side. this will make best use of her hands. We are looking for the best wind and hand protection we can find as well as the best heating options.
Thanks
Paul Haugan

7.jpgHowdy from Texas.

Accessories:

Rox Riser “2”

J&M Drink Holder

Trackside Aluminum Hand Guard Kit with Shields

Mirror Extenders

Bike Master Power Outlet

Kuryakyn Iphone Handlebar Mount

Universal Vista Cruise Control

Cramp Buster

Utopia Back Rest

AMS Comfort Max Sheepskin Gel Pad Large

Rivco 7/8” Highway Peg mounts for GL1800

Rivco Anti Vibration Pegs Black Powder Coat

Givi Engine Guards

Givi Trekker Fog Lights

Givi Trekker 33 liter Saddlebags

Givi Trekker 54 liter Trunk

Givi Trekker truck and saddlebag mount

Koplin 1 ½ gal Fuel Pack Jr with Mount

¾ Square tube Homemade Gas tank mounts

2 Tooltubes mounted Inside Givi Racks

Honda Center Stand

Hepco & Becker Skid Plate

First gear DC Coax Jack Panel Mount w/ 8in Coax Plug Cable

F-4 Interphone Head Set

Iphone

First Gear Laguna Mini Hard Tank Bag

Copland Seat - If riding two up get a Russell Day Long Seat

National Cycle Vsteam Touring Tall Clear Windshield

Shark Man 001.jpg

Smileynoevil.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Hello
Thanks
Paul Haugan

I have the DCT and put PowerMadd handguards on. They help a little, but from what I've seen the Barkbusters are bigger, stronger and look to offer more protection.
Heating options vary depending on what you wanna warm...I have found heated grips to work well in chilly temps to help keep your hands warm. For cold weather there's nothing better than heated gear. I bought Tourmaster and don't use the pant liners much, but the heated jacket along with glove liners on a dual controller works well for me.
I think forum member HONDABIKEPRO is working on converting the parking brake to a hand operated lever...I bet he could help you fabricate something to work for Claudia...he's an amazing craftsman.

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few threads on handguards and several different brands to choose from. Here area couple of the links.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4154-barkbuster-storm-handguards.html

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4076-hippo-hands.html

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/1427-hand-guards.html

I chose the OEM heated grips. The controller has a large switch that is easy to operate with thick gloves. There is much cheaper option but a plus with the OEM is you'll need the Accessory harness which will have a free plug to add something later on a switched circuit.

You may also want to think about a set of Rox Risers. That will bring the handlebars back closer to her and she won't feel like she is slightly leaning forward or reaching. Although, as you know the riding position is pretty good anyway.

LOL, I was there yesterday. I live about 2 blocks from Performance Honda. They are pretty good and have a a bunch of NC700X, NC500 and CTX700 on the floor right now.

Goodness - Old Can Ride made a Goldwing out of his NC700X. jk Your bike is awesome. :)

I live in Clearwater Paul, welcome to the forum. I have several bike too Paul..Here are some pics of my bikes - on is in work though, gotta put that engine in it if I ever get the valve seals in. :(

bikes2.jpg

left.jpg

vn engine.jpg

First, I live near you in the Wesley Chapel area. I guess really close to Big Thump. Two blocks from Performance Honda? I think that is the Waffle House or Sonny's BBQ! :). I shouldn't joke. I eat at Sonny's once a week.

I think wind protection is where this bike suffers. One person on this forum switched from the NC to the Deauville just for the extra protection. No DCT there, though. The Bark Busters have gotten great reviews for the hands. I wish I had them the last couple of weeks.

I really like my Madstad adjustable windshield. Others the National Cycle. The Madstad is made north of us in Dade City so I got to try it out before buying.

I have yet to see anything good for the lower half. Nobody has raved about the Honda wind deflectors. Beemerphile even attached some clear acrylic to his Givi engine guards. But he joked that it made his bike look a little like the Pope-mobile. If you find something good, please let me know.

Good luck with the brake adjustments.

Hello
Thanks
Paul Haugan

I installed the Barkbuster Storm hand guards on my DCT. I did not pull out the internal weights but instead used the stock bar end weights. You just need longer bolts. M6 by 80 mm work fine. I got them online but be sure they are threaded all the way. If you go this direction I can send you a pair of these bolts as I have extras. I also had to clip off one wire tie and re tie the wire bundle lower for the handle bar bracket- easy.

Also I installed the Oxford heated grips and that was a major undertaking. Long story. But it has a great controller that is easy to use with gloves on and has status lights for 25%, 40%, 75%, and 100 % settings.

First, I live near you in the Wesley Chapel area. I guess really close to Big Thump. Two blocks from Performance Honda? I think that is the Waffle House or Sonny's BBQ! :). I shouldn't joke. I eat at Sonny's once a week.
Closer to the Applebees! I am pretty sure I saw you on the bike last year. More Honda NC700X owners nearby than I thought.

Hi Paul

Moving the brake lever tot the left is no problem. I ride a700 x where brake lever andere throttle are moved to the left. Was carried out by Lukens tuning in the netherlands. I will post some pictures later on this week.

Michel

Back