• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member from SW Ohio

probably true, but I know when I first got my CB with the buttons in different locations than my other bikes, someone would pull out in front of my and I'd instantly hit the turn signal switch with the new switch layout. Additionally I'd also go to turn in someplace and blow the horn at the person turning in, in front of me (oops sorry hand wave). When I put the 13 switch on the CB that matched all my other bikes at the time it was never an issue again. So if I stick the 14 switch back on the CB so both the CB and NC have the same switch layout, my brain will re-learn which button to stab in an emergency and it won't be an issue no matter which bike I am riding. I won't have to think oh I'm on the NC, horn in the middle, or oh I'm on the CB, horn on the bottom.

remember, I'm an old dog lol

Folks say things like this but our brains have nearly unlimited power to learn new muscle movements with practice and sufficient repetition. I know Ferret rides everyday he can and would have no trouble learning where the horn, turn signal, and downshift button are on any machine. I ride three bikes now all with different control button configurations. Key is riding often and using each control every ride.
my situation is different , i suffered brain trauma in the military and my reactions are still fast but my thinking has slowed. I can and have trained myself to use the different locations of the horn buttons on my new and old Honda's and can go down a road mashing the new button every time with no problem however in an emergency i always counsel the turn signal . now i have a choice with 2 buttons on my new bikes

my situation is different , i suffered brain trauma in the military and my reactions are still fast but my thinking has slowed. I can and have trained myself to use the different locations of the horn buttons on my new and old Honda's and can go down a road mashing the new button every time with no problem however in an emergency i always counsel the turn signal . now i have a choice with 2 buttons on my new bikes
I don’t know the specifics of your condition but you should be able to learn new things and that’s all this is. No bike or car has the exact same buttons or switches in exactly the same place nor do the brakes on different machines work exactly the same as far as lever feel and effectiveness. It’s the brakes and/or swerve maneuver that we need to work in an emergency not the horn. If you can think fast enough to make those decisions a horn/turn signal should be secondary. Just my opinion.

I've had my NC almost 9 years and even so, I hit the horn instead of the turn signal several times this week. Going back and forth between different switch layouts is hard on the ol' brain . At least I have no problems with the more important operational controls.

If someone starts to pull out, or look like they might pull out, they get the horn, if they do pull out, then I am in braking/evasive maneuver mode as required.

When I drive my wife's Toyota Highlander I'm always either turning on the wipers or turning off the lights because they are on the opposite side of the steering wheel from my Honda Ridgeline. Muscle memory.

Just rather eliminate another thing to think about.

Btw that's the reason motorcycles now have a common transmission shift pattern on the left side and brakes on the right side, because it was goverment mandated in 1974. My first Sportster and my BSA Rocket 3 both shifted on the right and braked on the left. Probably also why they dont put the rear brake on the left handlebar on the DCT model bikes.

I used my NC to travel from Ohio to Oregon and back. It never let me down but did leave me wanting more. Two examples are, make sure you have enough road to complete your passes and be aware that, at least on mine, the NC's fantastic fuel mileage will drop to the lower 50's if sustained rpm's are over 4K.
Wait What? How fast your traffic moving? I can get to 100 mph easily. If traffic is any faster than that I think I will get off at the first exit

Folks say things like this but our brains have nearly unlimited power to learn new muscle movements with practice and sufficient repetition. I know Ferret rides everyday he can and would have no trouble learning where the horn, turn signal, and downshift button are on any machine. I ride three bikes now all with different control button configurations. Key is riding often and using each control every ride.
OK - enough . good luck Ferret

Back