• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member from NY

Bskicrash1

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a new member here and have been directed to this site from internet searching. I purchased a left over 2019 NC750x manual clutch no abs last year from my local Honda dealer. I looked at many other motorcycles, but the Honda won me over in the end.

I have put just over 2500 miles on the motorcycle and have made several changes to tailor the motorcycle to me.

I am 5’7, 189 pounds and the stock windshield caused my head to get beat around, so I replaced it with a Puig touring windscreen, and added 1.5 inch offset handlebar risers. This eliminated any buffeting I had and rain barely hits my face shield.
I added hand guards from Amazon that serve no purpose other than to keep the cold air from directly hitting my hands.
The front forks were soft and had a 3 inch sag. I noticed I was bottoming the fork regularly, so I drained and replaced the fork oil with maxima 15w and set oil height to 120 mm from top at full collapse. I want to add that from the factory, the fork oil in each leg was nearly half of what I used to refill the fork to the proper level. I used schedule 40pvc to create a preload spacer adding 15mm. These changes changed the front end dramatically. I’m undecided on investing In fork springs and adding emulators. I’m a fan of Race tech, but at the moment, the front end doesn’t bother me, so for my needs, that may be sufficient.

I replaced the stock Dunlop trail max d609 tires with Pirelli Angel GT tires. Night and day difference. I was happy with the trail max tires except for in the cold and the lifespan of the tire at stock pressure was just barely 2400 miles.
I was not pleased with the gearing on the NC, and after extensive research, I decided that I’d replace the front sprocket from the 17 tooth stock to a 16 tooth and I am happy I did. The motorcycle no longer feels as if it is struggling in 6th gear at 55mph if I have to accelerate and my low speed maneuverability has reduced my amount of clutch feathering.
I ride at night frequently, so I added a Denali light bar that attached to the frame below the headlight.
I added an aluminum radiator guard to keep debris out of the radiator.
I added a battery tender hookup and a fused USB switch that are mounted inside the frunk. I wired a gps from the battery behind the body panels along the frame up the the gps mount on the windshield.
I used rubber floormat to create a mudflap to protect my shock from rear wheel debris.
Overall, I am pleased with the NC750x. It is not my super sport and it is not my Dual Sport. It fits my stable well for its intended purpose.
I am a back shed mechanic when it comes to my motorcycles, so I tend to post specific and technical questions. I am polite and respect others on forums. I am hoping to gain and to give on this forum.
The picture was how the bike was delivered at purchase.

Update: 1/20/2022
Since the creation of this post, I’ve added rock socks neoprene fork protectors, a front fender extender, replaced the thermal flasher with an electronic flasher, replaced the incandescent bulbs in the turn signals to LED replacements, wired in an extra tail, brake, turn signal light bar and mounted it to the license plate, an adjustable windshield mount, wider platform pegs that attached to the stock pegs, givi crash bars, oem honda center stand, a T-Rex brand skid plate, a dash camera and tank bag.

Update: 7/1/2023
I’ve switched back to 5w fork oil and enjoy the faster stroke of the fork. Removed the neoprene fork protectors and added rubber boot fork protectors. I added aluminum hand guards to better protect from tip overs, I made a plastic guard to cover the rear master cylinder, I’ve added a T. rex racing rear rack to hold my camping gear. I added adjustable lower foot pegs and am pleased. I’m just past 5,000 miles with the continental TKC 80 front tire and shinko e805 adventure rear tire. Still happy with the NC for my riding purpose!

Attachments

• 90622C6F-D092-4070-BF37-9A4BBECA2E0D.jpeg
    90622C6F-D092-4070-BF37-9A4BBECA2E0D.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Nice looking bike & welcome to the group.

If you paint it red it will be faster :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum. I have the same bike, I've put about 4k miles on it this year. I weigh a lot more than you and I have also noticed the front is too soft (go figure). Have you done a write up of your fork mods or do you have a video or anything? My stock Dunlops are about done now and I am looking at a couple tires. The Angel GT and Road 5 are the two tops on my list, I'm glad to hear you like the Pirellis.

Welcome to the forum. I have the same bike, I've put about 4k miles on it this year. I weigh a lot more than you and I have also noticed the front is too soft (go figure). Have you done a write up of your fork mods or do you have a video or anything? My stock Dunlops are about done now and I am looking at a couple tires. The Angel GT and Road 5 are the two tops on my list, I'm glad to hear you like the Pirellis.
Thank you for the welcome! I search and read a lot on this forum, but rarely post. There is a lot of knowledge here. I did not make a video of my fork service. I actually left the forks on the bike, suspended the front end into the air. Removed the fork caps. Removed the stock plastic spacers, washers and springs. I raised the front wheel, so the forks would be fully compressed. I used extra gas line and suctioned all the old fork oil out of each fork leg. Pumped the fork legs several times, pumped the remaining fluid out. With the forks still fully collapsed I added the new fluid until it was the correct height from the top of the forks. I then pumped the fork legs several times to bleed air out of the damping rod and then added more fork fluid to the correct fluid height. I extended the fork legs, reinstalled the stock springs, stock washer, stock spacer and fork cap. I rode the bike like this for 50 miles and then decided the sag was excessive in the front still. I measured my fork sag, and then calculated I needed to add 15 mm of preload. I lifted the front end, removed the fork caps, removed the stock spacers. I measured the length of the stock spacers, then used schedule 40 pvc pipe with the same circumference as the stock spacers. I measured and made them 15 mm longer, used a pvc cutter (similar to what you use to cut copper pipe for home repair). I left the stock spacers out and used my newly cut pvc pipe in the fork legs as spacers. Reinstalled the fork caps. Measured sag and with my weight I was just slightly above 30% total stroke. I said close enough and time to test it. I’ve put about 1500 miles on the motorcycle with the fork in this condition and I am happy with it. I commute with the motorcycle and I will ride fire roads and gravel roads and find this sufficient for my needs.
I would have rode my stock Dunlop’s much longer if I knew how much tread remained on the carcass after the wear bars. The stock tires are deceiving, I was at wear bars at 2400 miles and decided I already had a puncture from a roofing nail that I used a tire rope plug to fix…so time for new tires. The Michelin road 5 were my number one choice, but I couldn’t find a rear tire in the stock size, then I looked for a pilot road 4 set, and couldn’t find a set in stock at my preferred vendor sites. Then I looked for Pirelli and found the angel GT 2 out of stock in the rear size. I was about to use a Michelin pilot road 5 on the front and a Michelin Anakee 2 on the rear, then I found Revzilla had Pirelli angel GT in stock and I ordered a set before they were gone.
Whenever I go to replace a tire, I do the ceremonial burnout as it’s final farewell. It happened to be Fourth of July, so I let my American pride show through. The stock Dunlop tires have a lot of extra rubber after the wear bars. I was actually upset because I could have probably extended the mileage another 1000 if not 1500 miles. I run stock tire pressure in the Pirellis and they grip better in everything compared to stock Dunlop’s. Rain, cold, gravel and worn tarmac… I haven’t felt the tires slip at all. The stock tires would slip when cold or wet. I just adjust my riding style to the tires. The pirellis turn in much faster and make the nc750x feel very agile. If you like the sport bike turn in, the Pirellis transform the motorcycle to feel that way. Please don’t judge, but attached are some pics.

hope this helps.

Attachments

• 279FA757-D298-4DC3-BB60-B2BC93B73843.jpeg
    279FA757-D298-4DC3-BB60-B2BC93B73843.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 9FD809C0-4477-4525-A334-E490565AD18F.jpeg
    9FD809C0-4477-4525-A334-E490565AD18F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 4D65B075-E98D-4FA0-B203-5925F36E29D0.jpeg
    4D65B075-E98D-4FA0-B203-5925F36E29D0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 3D454897-ACD7-4879-862B-609A2408C9F4.jpeg
    3D454897-ACD7-4879-862B-609A2408C9F4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 984ADACD-6EA9-4B82-957A-06227E4108EE.jpeg
    984ADACD-6EA9-4B82-957A-06227E4108EE.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 33
  • F44070B1-E095-4362-A13F-CB4843305C7A.png
    F44070B1-E095-4362-A13F-CB4843305C7A.png
    566.7 KB · Views: 29
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes. I’ve been on several forums over the years and as far as friendliness goes, this forum is the most polite with the ninja250.org coming in second. My humble beginnings were with a ninja 250 and I loved it so much I ended up owning 3 in my riding career.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes. I’ve been on several forums over the years and as far as friendliness goes, this forum is the most polite with the ninja250.org coming in second. My humble beginnings were with a ninja 250 and I loved it so much I ended up owning 3 in my riding career.
My beginnings were not with the Ninja 250, but I did buy one around 2008 or 2009 as a second bike alongside my Goldwing. That was the start of multiple bike ownership for me, and let me tell you that is a slippery slope to get on.

I really enjoyed that ninja250.org forum back when I had the little Ninja.

Welcome to the forum. I really like the blue of your bike. It would be my choice in factory paint.

I'm kind of surprised that you found plastic spacers in the forks when you took them apart the first time. I wonder if a previous owner had already been experimenting with preload. The stock spacers from the factory were steel in earlier bikes, at least mine were in the 2012, 2013, and 2015 models.

Great write up on an oil change and preload change.

Welcome to the forum. I really like the blue of your bike. It would be my choice in factory paint.

I'm kind of surprised that you found plastic spacers in the forks when you took them apart the first time. I wonder if a previous owner had already been experimenting with preload. The stock spacers from the factory were steel in earlier bikes, at least mine were in the 2012, 2013, and 2015 models.

Great write up on an oil change and preload change.
Thank you! I am the first and only owner of the motorcycle. I was expecting to see steel spacers based on YouTube videos of nc700 forks. From what I gathered, the nc750x destined for the States did not receive the same bendy valve update as the European models, however, from research I found that the bendy valve nc750x forks in Europe did contain plastic spacers. I’ve rebuilt several forks in the past, some have full length springs and no spacers, some contain short springs and spacers, some contain plastic spring guides, but this is the first I’ve seen plastic as a spacer. Looking at the parts schematic, it is factory produced with these spacers. The nc700x is factory produced with a steel tube spacer according to the parts schematic. The only thing I can think of would be due to the plastic being molded to fit within the spring as a retainer to guide the spring from running the inner side of the upper stanchion during stroke. When I rebuild the fork and seals, I’ll remove the forks and tear them down. At that point I will determine if it’s the bendy valve at the end of the damper rod or just the basic damper rod with part of the updated forks. Time will tell.

Update: I opened the forks and drained and refilled the oil completely. I adjusted the preload spacer to add more preload since the forks were sagging outside the ideal range with the weight of my gear on the bike.

The stock preload spacers are the dual bending valve preload spacers. From what I can gather from this forum, the Honda website in the US marketed the 750x as dual bending valve but changed the terminology. I can say that the microfiche from Ron Ayer’s, bike bandit, and Rocky Mountain atvmc are not accurate in their pictures for the forks. I changed my VPN to show I was in Germany, and the fork part numbers for the preload spacers change to represent what I found in my fork. To my understanding, just the damper rod part number is different, and that is what houses the dual bending valve.

I am only searching for answers because I can’t determine what the valve is unless I’m looking at both damper rods hand in hand.

I’ll update further if I have more info.

I went with the racetec front springs the heaviest, left the stock fluid and adjusted new spacers with no preload. The front end feal is great for me but the hard bumps without the emulators can turn some off. Installed adjustable links for the rear and lowered about1in and lowered the forks 15mm. Had my stock seat (2012) redone years ago its flat and 2in taller.

Back