• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New LCD- now have fuel sending unit issue!

Flaferalcat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[I saw an older thread relating to fuel sender unit issues on an earlier NCX- but I started this as mine is a 2014. Obviously mods can move it if needed.]

So after debating about replacing the LCD on my 2014 NCX (manual clutch), the dealer helped me make my mind up when I got new tires after burning out the OEM's in less than 6 months. I didn't have to have it done but was somewhat strong armed into it AND NOW.... after letting myself get stranded twice and relying on the kindness of strangers... I definitely found the fuel gauge to read 2 bars with a bone dry tank.
Ride Now Gainesville has had my bike since Wednesday and Honda USA has had them doing all kinds of experiments to find out why it's doing what it's doing. I was informed that Honda USA has never heard of this and as my bike is under warranty till July, apparently it's being used as the lab rat.
I have no idea when I'll be getting the NCX back so my Vic-Vision is doing commuting duty as well now.
Is there anyone else having similar trouble/issues with their 2014's?
Eric:)
PS: I'm now really thinking of trading this thing for a FZ-09 or a Triumph Street Triple R now... GRRRRRrrrr....

If Honda is ordering more testing, you can assume that they don't view this as a one-off incident. "Honda USA never heard of it" is the standard line to avoid any admission of responsibility, but since they are interested in finding the root cause, I'd guess they've heard of it plenty. Good luck! And if it drags on too long, ask for a loaner.

Is this intermittent or repeatable ?

If this a fuel gauge it really should not be that difficult. The dash unit, the sending unit and wiring. The dealer can replace the needed parts until it's fixed. You debating the dash unit because of the mileage reset ?????
Assuming they replaced the easy part the sending unit ?????? With no change ?????

I mention this because it important:
Is the bike really empty of fuel when it stops ? or Is there still fuel in the tank but the pump can "reach it" or pump it ?
Bone dry ........then it is back to the three parts involved in the gauge operation.

If there still fuel in the tank then it is not fuel gauge issue but then fuel pickup, pump, plumbing or tank issue. Guessing when you get to the gas station it takes the full capacity to fill the tank.

Last edited:
OK... The dash was replaced last January.
I did, (do) mean 'dry tank'- as in add fuel, prime pump (twice) and then start.
The techs have definitely repeated the exact symptoms and readings I was (am) experiencing by changing the fuel level in the tank and comparing it to the gauge. Honda is also, (so I've been told) asking for exact tank measurements and gauge readings.
I'll quit typing now, as my ISP is fighting with this website again... :(
Eric

Is this intermittent or repeatable ?

If this a fuel gauge it really should not be that difficult. The dash unit, the sending unit and wiring. The dealer can replace the needed parts until it's fixed. You debating the dash unit because of the mileage reset ?????
Assuming they replaced the easy part the sending unit ?????? With no change ?????

I mention this because it important:
Is the bike really empty of fuel when it stops ? or Is there still fuel in the tank but the pump can "reach it" or pump it ?
Bone dry ........then it is back to the three parts involved in the gauge operation.

If there still fuel in the tank then it is not fuel gauge issue but then fuel pickup, pump, plumbing or tank issue. Guessing when you get to the gas station it takes the full capacity to fill the tank.

I received a bit more info today:

Honda authorized that a new fuel pump/sending unit be installed in my bike. The service rep tod me it's a $746.?? part! The sending unit and pump are a single unit. Then Honda is asking for some more tests to be done. Once again I was told that HOnda hasn't heard of this, and so they are trying to gather all the info about they can. With soe luck, my bike may ber ready by Friday. If not....then it may be awhile before I get it back as I'll be busy helping my spouse convalesce from surgery.

I received a bit more info today:

Honda authorized that a new fuel pump/sending unit be installed in my bike. The service rep tod me it's a $746.?? part! The sending unit and pump are a single unit. Then Honda is asking for some more tests to be done. Once again I was told that HOnda hasn't heard of this, and so they are trying to gather all the info about they can. With soe luck, my bike may ber ready by Friday. If not....then it may be awhile before I get it back as I'll be busy helping my spouse convalesce from surgery.

Procaliber.com sells it for $354.80.

PUMP ASSY., FUEL 16700-MGS-D33
$354.80 (List $537.58)

Link to illustration: 2014 Honda NC700X A FUEL TANK / FUEL PUMP | Pro Caliber

The fuel sender float is possibly the item above the number 4 in the illustration. If it was mine and outside any warranties, I'd probably just lift it out of the tank and see if it was getting stuck and not lowering all the way.

Last edited:
Picked uo my bike yesterday. They put in a full tank and an apology from Honda.
List price for the whole fuel pump assy. was $591.73 and $36.94 for gasket(s).
There's a lot of notes on the sheets regarding Resistance specs (Ohms) measurements for the fuel level indicator, and testing procedures.
I saw the old part and was surprised how simple it looked, unless the newer part had something extra on it, or they pulled a rheostat cover form the old part, the rheostat portion is just exposed there to the fuel. The actual part doesn't look like what's on Pro caliber's site. It's more the old style toilet floats with a couple extra bends in float wire. I was told Honda definitely wanted the part back, because they haven't heard of this and definitely wanted to know why it failed.
Things seemed to be working normal, on the way home It dropped one bar. I'll know more in time.
Eric:)

Man that stinks. I hate to hear that you're having issues.

I've had this problem with several cars. They would run out of gas with a quarter tank indicated on the gauge. The mechanic said it was caused by "dirty gas." I started using the trip odometer and have never had another problem. I don't know if it would be the same on your NC, but it's possible that you may have just been the recipient of a bad tank of gas.

If all else fails, fill it up all the way, take it to the dealer and trade it in for something else. I hope all is resolved though.

What's even sillier is that with fuel injection, the ECU is capable of logging exactly how much fuel has been used and thus, how much is left. Honda appears to not be using that data though.

I suspect that Honda somehow goofed and put a BMW resistor strip, when I had my 2012 GSA, I felt lucky I only had to have it replaced once (maybe cuz I didn't own it long enough), whereas other guys were getting it replaced every few months.

What's even sillier is that with fuel injection, the ECU is capable of logging exactly how much fuel has been used and thus, how much is left. Honda appears to not be using that data though.

Suspect there must be a good reason ^^^^^^^^^^this ^^^^^^^^^ is not done.

Even the the most sophisticated expensive fuel systems still use a float in the tank.
They use the fuel used for trip and MPG calculations but it still comes back to the float in the tank.

Other manufactures have had in tank sensor failures due to ethanol contamination.

Last edited:
Back