• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Laam seat

ScottHump

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone - new seats are a common topic of discussion so I thought I'd add to it. Melensdad just did a great review on his new Corbin so I'll copy his format and try to do justice to my new seat.

I recently had it custom made with Laam Seats in Redding , CA. I live near enough that I was able to do a ride in and he built it while I waited, which was awesome because he told me he was booked up through August with mail -in seat orders.

The seat is fantastic, I'm quite pleased with the results. It's a wider seat as you can see, and the weight distribution is so much better. After a couple of slight mods to the foam I was able to cure the forward slope as well. I also managed to maintain adequate room for my, uh... juevos rancheros, which is always a consideration.

We ended up making it a little higher than stock, so it's not quite as easy to get my feet down (5" 7", 30 inch inseam) but I also appreciate a little less knee bend, so it's a trade I was willing to make. We discussed it as he was building it and I tried it both ways, I went for a little more padding so it's probably half an inch or so higher than stock.

It's definitely not a hard seat, it's firm enough to support you yet cushioned, so it's firm, and cushioned, at the same time. I had a Sargent on another bike and it was brutal. Great shape so very comfortable that way, but hard. Hitting a bump was like getting disciplined with a board. Not this seat. Bumps don't even phase me.

The material I chose is a leather-look vinyl, and I'm pleased to report it's not slippery, unlike my Sargent. The shape of the cover does produce a seam under my leg that after a while I notice, but it doesn't bother me. That's about the only slight ding I would give the seat. Other than that, it's just freaking great.

On the stock seat I could go about an hour, maybe a little more, before I needed to get off. I rode off from Seth's and didn't stop for two hours, and that's because I needed gas. My butt was ready for more. (alright, that sounded weird...) I'm planning on some longer trips pretty soon and I know I'll be comfortable now.

So, overall, I'm thrilled. Seat comfort is very subjective and there's not one seat that's ideal for everyone, but if you're considering upgrading yours, I would highly recommend Laam Seats.

Sorry about the pics being sideways, not sure what's up with that.

IMG_3875.JPGIMG_3874.JPGIMG_3872.JPG

Very nice seat, I am envious! It might send my seat next winter. What is the cost? What is your weight if you don't mind.

Looks nice! I’m too far away for a ride-in custom build, unfortunately. Report back on how it does with trips that are 2000+ miles, if you ever do that.

Kudos, i have never heard of Laam seats though i have been to Redding several times over the years. Good to know as another resource.

I have about 5k on my RDL now and am still enjoying the comfort of that seat. I have several trips on it already, a 2600, 1630, several day trips of 200-500 miles. :{P

Looks nice! I’m too far away for a ride-in custom build, unfortunately. Report back on how it does with trips that are 2000+ miles, if you ever do that.

Will do. It may be a while before I can plan on that far but I've got a few rides planned that will be around 1,000 or so. That should provide some pretty good feedback for how well it does.

Kudos, i have never heard of Laam seats though i have been to Redding several times over the years. Good to know as another resource.

I have about 5k on my RDL now and am still enjoying the comfort of that seat. I have several trips on it already, a 2600, 1630, several day trips of 200-500 miles. :{P

I hear RDL is a great seat too and oddly enough, they're located about an hour north of Redding in. Must be the custom seat go-to destination of the west coast.

I do like the profile of your new seat. I am finding a seat choice very hard and don't want to fork out several hundred dollars to end up not satisfied. There are lots of options, and without the choice of trying it first, it's a roll of the dice at best. Decisions, decisions !

That looks more like a touring saddle shape than my Corbin. While my Corbin is dramatically more comfortable than the stock seat, your seat looks like it would be an even better seat for long distance riding. My Corbin doesn't quite have the wide support that a saddle shape seat offers. Not that I'm complaining about my Corbin, but honestly I think there could be a lot more comfort from a saddle shape.

At the time I purchased my Corbin the only true saddle shape seat I could find was the Russell Day Long seat, and that one seems to be an exaggerated saddle that would probably be incredibly comfortable for long distance touring but also more of an inconvenient seat for short commutes where you are in towns and traffic where you have to stand and hold the bike at stops unless you have really long legs. I can comfortable Flat Foot my bike with the Corbin but doubt I could do that with the Russell Day Long giving its shape.

Your Laam seat's shape looks a bit more like the Russell in the rear of the front seat but closer to the Corbin shape in the front of the seat. I like the looks of the Laam!

Just wondering - does the shape at the wide to narrow interfere with your legs when coming to a stop?

Just wondering - does the shape at the wide to narrow interfere with your legs when coming to a stop?
I'd like to hear that answer too. And by "coming to a stop" I presume you mean putting your legs down to the ground to balance the bike at the stop.

I would bet the answer is either "no" or "not much" for the Laam
For the Corbin seat the answer is "no"
For the Sargent seat the answer is "no"
For the Russell Day Long the answer would be "yes"

Hey Scott, any updates on your opinion of this seat? This stock seat sucks and can't wait to find a good alternative. Thanks

I just sent my seat and pillion to Seth Lamb. My production date is 9/8. I’ll post results when I get them back.
This is the seat that I find very interesting. It seems like it might have the advantages of the Russell's Day Long seat without the wide front bolsters that can be problematic for some riders when holding their bike at a stop. Very curious to hear your review and see your photos. I could see switching from my Corbin, which is a pretty darn comfy seat, to a Laam. Besides, my wife has been eyeing my Corbin with lust.

I suppose my plush seat on my '83 GL650 has me spoilt. I am saving up for a NC750 for touring. From looking around here, it seems like the best way to go is a low mileage used bike that already has the windshield and seat replaced.
Ahh, those seats from the ‘80s were so nice.

Fast forward to today’s NC, the problem with aftermarket seats is that they are not all good for all riders. One person might love a certain seat, while someone else hates it. Buying used with an aftermarket seat is certainly no guarantee you are going to like it. I’ve sold off or returned 5 aftermarket seats that didn’t fit me.

I suppose my plush seat on my '83 GL650 has me spoilt. I am saving up for a NC750 for touring. From looking around here, it seems like the best way to go is a low mileage used bike that already has the windshield and seat replaced.
Plenty of good used NC deals around but you need to look for them and may have to travel to get one.

Just make sure you get a red one. It is the fastest color. Also, all the other colors are ugly*. Just sayin!

* And my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

A 700 tours just fine. i have proof. Might find some better deals on a 700.

Back