• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New DCTs?

Any new DCTs on the horizon??
That‘s a broad question. Do you mean on vehicles or motorcycles in general, on Honda motorcycles, or specifically within the NC product line?

Last edited:
The motorcycle biz is really in the dumps partially because of covid-19 and partially because it has been going down-down-down for many years. Even Harley has decided to pull back on some (all?) new models and stick with their tried-and-true cruisers and Road Kings.

That being the case, I can't imagine any maker introducing new models although some will have makeovers of existing models.

It doesn't really matter, since dealers have no idea how to sell motorcycles.
Look in Cycletrader for a new NC and almost all the ads only show stock photos, with no pics of the actual bike. And NEVER any bikes with needed accessories, like centerstands, power ports, heated grips, tailracks, etc... And even with a depression coming... no discounts!

It doesn't really matter, since dealers have no idea how to sell motorcycles.
Look in Cycletrader for a new NC and almost all the ads only show stock photos, with no pics of the actual bike. And NEVER any bikes with needed accessories, like centerstands, power ports, heated grips, tailracks, etc... And even with a depression coming... no discounts!
I agree. How can you well something when you know less than the buyer! The salesman, if you want to call him that had zero knowledege. If he was paid hourly or salary he sure wasn't worth what the dealer was paying.

And now they, and the auto dealerships, are more interested in finding salesmen to sell over the phone or Internet! So vehicle knowledge is probably going to be optional. They want to pay as little as possible... so that's what they get.

I notice they removed the dual clutches in that patent app (from 2017 in Japan). As the ADVRider press piece indicates, it appears at first blush to be more similar to a quick-shifter than the current DCT. That said, I think the patent app indicates or at least leaves open the option to have much more broad control of the clutch. If they could make this shifting mechanism operate the clutch at very low speeds as well as the current DCT does (such as in the Africa Twin), they could reduce production cost quite a bit, by largely just adding this system on to their manually-operated gearboxes. They may not be able to do quite that, but nevertheless I'm thinking this is intended as a way to increase parts commonality and reduce system cost.

This simplified auto clutch could semi automate some small bikes at lower cost than DCT. This could open up options for semi auto shifting on lower cost bikes like the 250s and 500s, where the weight, bulkiness, and cost of DCT is not feasible for bikes at those price points. It would also be more easily adapted to existing models without major redesign.

If the system features the ability to have full manual use of the clutch at any time, that, to me, would be better than DCT, where the operator has no control over the clutch.

I notice they removed the dual clutches in that patent app (from 2017 in Japan). As the ADVRider press piece indicates, it appears at first blush to be more similar to a quick-shifter than the current DCT. That said, I think the patent app indicates or at least leaves open the option to have much more broad control of the clutch. If they could make this shifting mechanism operate the clutch at very low speeds as well as the current DCT does (such as in the Africa Twin), they could reduce production cost quite a bit, by largely just adding this system on to their manually-operated gearboxes. They may not be able to do quite that, but nevertheless I'm thinking this is intended as a way to increase parts commonality and reduce system cost.
Reduced cost = wider model use
Wider model use = more attractive to new riders
New riders = more bikes sold
More bikes sold = bigger bike community

I see all the forms of shift assist through DCT as a way to expand the riding community, which is a good thing in my mind.

I may not want a Harley myself, but I want to see the company which is responsible for half of all motorcycle sales survive. More folks on two wheels is always good.

I may not want a DCT for another 40 years or so, but I'm excited to see the developments of this technology!

As a former NCx guy, manual, now Africa DCT-- Never looked back. It's got very little to find issue with, if anything. Especially liking bulky protective footwear and a size 15. Always loved shifting as much as the next guy, and wouldn't have thought I'd love it as I do. All my focus is now on the ride, if I don't like the gear, my left hand sorts it out without a conscious thought really. if there's any downside it's burning more fuel for how it incites my riding, and smoked it's original flea market tires in 2k. There is plenty to take issue with, honda, the AT, assembly, features, omissions, design, parts quality, anti seize apparently not in the Honda factory, exhaust weighing twice my avg fuel load.... DCT doesn't make the list, just makes an all things considered, great bike, that much better. if it lasts. Honda is not the honda we grew up with any more, IMO.

I enjoy my 2019 DCT much more than I thought I would. It really makes fun riding FUN!

How did "very little" grow into "plenty" of room for complaint, in your experience?

The only immediate complaint I had was with the flip-up rear seat for the gas filler; it interferes with the variable-speed vibrator I've gotten into the habit of installing in all my bikes' rear seats.

I enjoy my 2019 DCT much more than I thought I would. It really makes fun riding FUN!

You have all the benefits of manual up shifting w/the bike doing all the down shifting for you.
The engine will 'last forever' because it will never allow you to lug it, which ages overheated bearings.
Also, by pulling on the R/H grab rail w/the left hand, right hand on the throttle it can be 'walked' out of mud or similar w/ease; try that w/a hand lever clutch bike.
DCT.........I'm sold. I had a 2013 DCT and moved all the 20 upgrades to a new 2017......DCT, of course.

Back