• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Never EVER think you know the road.

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I'm getting used to the NC. I have a fairly curvey (not twistie by any means) road out to my parents house. It's about 25 miles away. I've been practicing leaning into the curves, going different speeds, hitting them high or low, just practicing riding. It's something I need a lot of (practicing).

I get to last curve right before my parents house and have been taking it a little faster as I practice. I'm feeling pretty good today, relaxed and confident when I see a little brown on the road. Someone, I have a feeling I know who, but no proof, broke a bag of sand/dirt about half way through the corner and it looks like they kicked it across the lane. I had just enough space to zig zag around it.

If I had hit it (sand) going as fast I was - which wasn't fast, if you know me - I would have had another get off into the other lane. No cars were coming but the point is, always be sure you have more than one option.

If I had gone just a little faster, I wouldn't have been able to avoid the booby trap.

Road hazards pop up where you least expect them.

Is someone trying to sabotage you?

stupid stuff no one cares much about... word study...

As I recall, "Sabot" is the french word for shoe. French workers in the early age of factory work could get a day off work if someone threw a shoe into the machinery....performing an act of "sabotage". (don't know where I know that story from.)

I will be happy to remove this post if it seems inappropriate.

A similar thing happened here recently after heavy rains. Gravel washed out on the roads in places I didn't expect.

Be aware of gravel, sand, and clay patches on roads after heavy rains, and tree branches after storms.

As I recall, "Sabot" is the french word for shoe. French workers in the early age of factory work could get a day off work if someone threw a shoe into the machinery....performing an act of "sabotage". (don't know where I know that story from.)

I will be happy to remove this post if it seems inappropriate.

The vocabulary tip for the day is always welcome!

Last edited:
Good job on the outcome. You reacted and kept it together.

I posted something on here awhile back about a dead cat or dog that fell out from under the vehicle in front of me in the middle of a curve. It slid right into my path. You think you got it going on and then "you never know".

I had to think fast the other day. Seen something in the road and was just able to avoid it,turned out to be a turtle shell some car must have ran over it.

Glad you made it through that situation without any problems.

Road kill and live animals are always a factor. Something else to keep in mind is farming season. I used to live in Central Illinois and I currently live North of Little Rock, AR. In both locations I have back roads I rode everyday. You get to know every bump, every turn, and the most likely places to see an animal. Two times a year you have to be concerned with crops. When they plant and when they harvest. Tractor tires deposit a crap load of dirty on the road. You could have taken a corner just last night but now at 0500 in the mnorning it is covered with dirt and you can't see it. You have to think ahead for these types of things and be prepared. I'm sure there are all kids of stories like this. I remember the story dduelin told a while back about avoiding a wreck. The conversation led quickly into a discussion about practicing for these types of situations. That way when it happens it is almost muscle memory and you react automatically without thinking to much.

The most common problem I'm having whilst riding in London is idiot pedestrians glued to their mobile (Cell phone for our US brethren) phones stepping out in front of me. Each and everyone of them receives a nice verbal scream of 'Look at the F$%king road, you F%^king useless bag of Sh$t!' I doubt it works, but it makes me feel better!

:mad:
ibob

The most common problem I'm having whilst riding in London is idiot pedestrians glued to their mobile (Cell phone for our US brethren) phones stepping out in front of me. Each and everyone of them receives a nice verbal scream of 'Look at the F$%king road, you F%^king useless bag of Sh$t!' I doubt it works, but it makes me feel better!

:mad:
ibob

I think we expect the cagers to be on their phones. I ride as if no one can see me. It's those things on the road that weren't there yesterday that will REALLY keep you on your toes.
A side note, a friend of mine was following an 18 wheeler last night on the interstate. The 18 wheeler swerved real fast. My friend didn't follow suit and ran over a tire with a wheel on it. Blew out both right side tires at 70 mph. He managed to get over with out wrecking. That would have been lights out for us or you would probably be wishing the lights went out!
Be vigilant

iBob- love the mastery of the English language! You guys make it sound so great no matter what comes out of your mouth!

watch everything, pay careful attention to what other motorcycles and semi trucks are doing, they have the advantage of at least some extended drivers training (usually) and a potentially better view of what's in front of them.

I was riding down the road last year and the minivan about 1/4 mile up swerved didn't really know why until I got closer, porcupine on the right side of the lane... Rode past with no problems, but that could have made for a bad day running it over...

Just the other day I slid slightly in a corner... it's a corner I go through every day, and I've never had an issue with it, turns out I was running a few minutes later than usual on a odd numbered day, and the sprinklers for the company on the corner had turned on and dampened the paint for the cross walk... didn't go far before the tire caught pavement again, but it was just enough for me to know that something was wrong, amazing how a small stupid little thing like that can cause issues.

Most of my riding is on back roads in the country. Gravel on blind corners is my greatest fear, and I usually encounter it somewhere on my journey. It's particularly bad after a heavy rainfall, so I adjust my speed accordingly. There are also tractors, deer, bicycles, lawn mowers, etc to make life interesting, not to mention cars/trucks coming the other way! Ride safe!

iBob- love the mastery of the English language! You guys make it sound so great no matter what comes out of your mouth!

Well, my friend, we did invent the English language, but if I'm being 100% honest, I didn't 'luck out' in my English exam!
That's why half of the crap that I write is complete dribble... ;)

Anyway, I'm hoping to test ride the manual version of the NC 750x next week + the 750 Integra soon after. If I end up with one of them you will be hearing more tales of English woe in the coming months! :rolleyes:

ibob bob

Star Trek VI-The undiscovered country

Back