• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Negative comments from others about DCT

I wonder how many of us have NOT bought a certain bike in the past because it was only available with a heavy clutch?

I remember taking a demo ride on an Indian Scout and several Triumphs (the T100 and the Thruxton) and if they had an available DCT or similar feature I might have bought one, even with the much higher prices. But my aging wrist just isn't up to dealing with a heavy clutch in stop & go traffic, as I ride as much as I can, usually every day.

Never mind what others' say, **** 'em. After riding only manual clutch bikes my whole life, and reading reviews of off-highway riding for the DCT, I found a used one and like it so far. And after trying a manual NC I kept banging into red line, snapping myself forward, so I thought "let Honda do the shifting for me". I've yet to ride in the dirt though. So far, so good. Skid plate is coming soon. I installed center stand last week and today footpegs from MCMOTO, nice machining.

Long thread but I need to make it one post longer. Last year I traded my Versys 1000 for an NC750X DCT and I love this Honda. I'm 67 yo and even though the Versys had a slipper clutch my left wrist developed acute tendonitis so I had to make the change. I do 90% of my riding in manual mode simply because I'm used to being in control of what gear I'm in, I like engine-braking and, most of all, there is no way I could ever shift gears this fast with a manual clutch. I wish every bike I ever had was semi-automatic. I guarantee that the number of future bikes with IC engines and DCT transmissions can only increase dramatically in the next five years. When electric bikes are perfected, those with IC engines will become collector items.

showkey - "perfected" was a poor choice of words. I apologize. In my opinion, electric bike sales will skyrocket once they can run 500 mi at 70 mph on a single charge and can be recharged overnight from a 100 amp circuit.

100 amp circuit? My whole shop is serviced by 100 amps. Sounds like an awful lot.

Standard set up for homes in my area is 200 amp service. I have a separate 100 amp service for my shop.

showkey - "perfected" was a poor choice of words. I apologize. In my opinion, electric bike sales will skyrocket once they can run 500 mi at 70 mph on a single charge and can be recharged overnight from a 100 amp circuit.

I'd say they will probably sell in high numbers when they can make 250 ~ 300 highway miles and be recharged overnight on a 120v/20amp circuit or charged to 80% in 60 minutes on a fast charger. And sell the electric motorcycle at price point that is no more than 10-15% higher than the price of a similarly equipped IC engine motorcycle.

Last edited:
I'd say they will probably sell in high numbers when they can make 250 ~ 300 highway miles and be recharged overnight on a 120v/20amp circuit or charged to 80% in 60 minutes on a fast charger. And sell the electric motorcycle at price point that is no more than 10-15% higher than the price of a similarly equipped IC engine motorcycle.[/QUOTE]

I agree

Electric or no, the motorcycle market is shrinking. The focus should be on keeping two wheeled vehicles “alive”, regardless of the means of powering them.

At each year I continue as a motorcycle rider, I cant help but notice how there are fewer fellow riders out on the road.

I think electric motorcycles are a great idea, but I never buy into new technology when it’s in it’s infancy. When the product is mature and reasonably priced (meaning that early adopters paid for it’s development), I’ll bite. That point in time has not yet come.

Last edited:
You will like the DCT. I have about 16,000 on mine. It would be higher but last year I bought a DCT Goldwing.
131A3D00-18D4-4129-8539-0437205F01DA.jpg

I bought my SD specifically to get DCT because achy joints are making manual gear changing painful during all-day rides.

In the main I like DCT but find some slow speed turning manoeuvres more challenging without a clutch lever to feather. With DCT you need to trail the rear brake and keep the revs on at least 1500rpm or the clutch will disengage. For me that can be difficult because I need to use my right leg to hold the bike up when stopping, my left hip not being what it should be. Coming to a stop when going straight is fine because then using only the front brake at the final stage is OK.

Unlike later models my bike has only D and S auto modes. Generally I use only auto S because the engine feels sweeter when revving more than D often gives. For the smoothest riding I will use MT but only change up manually, letting the DCT do it's thing when slowing.

... For me that can be difficult because I need to use my right leg to hold the bike up when stopping, my left hip not being what it should be. Coming to a stop when going straight is fine because then using only the front brake at the final stage is OK...

You'd need to install, depending on your local regulations, auxiliary or main left hand rear brake caliper. Very useful in slow maneuvering.
Here is a good example:

[video=youtube;HkJoLOooq00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJoLOooq00[/video]

Hey 42, did you get it?

I had a 2016 DCT and nobody could tell mine was auto-shift until I told them. Even when I took the advanced rider class, the instructors were fascinated by my clutch-less wonder. I got a lot of compliments on my bike and plenty of "biker waves".

Unless the "naysayers" are paying for your bike, grow a pair and just don't discuss your bike with them. And how in the world could you possibly even consider the opinion of someone who doesn't even ride? They have NOTHING to add to the conversation. I've learned over the years that "the people close to you" are the ones that do you the most harm. Any self-made millionaire/billionaire will tell you that listening to friends and family will keep you broke and unhappy. Just ask Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

Techrat

You'd need to install, depending on your local regulations, auxiliary or main left hand rear brake caliper. Very useful in slow maneuvering.
Here is a good example:

[video=youtube;HkJoLOooq00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJoLOooq00[/video]

Thanks. Yes, I'd looked at those but so far haven't done it. Definitely a good idea. With DCT the parking brake lever looks like it would be in the way of the finger brake.

Hey 42, did you get it?

I had a 2016 DCT and nobody could tell mine was auto-shift until I told them. Even when I took the advanced rider class, the instructors were fascinated by my clutch-less wonder. I got a lot of compliments on my bike and plenty of "biker waves".

Unless the "naysayers" are paying for your bike, grow a pair and just don't discuss your bike with them. And how in the world could you possibly even consider the opinion of someone who doesn't even ride? They have NOTHING to add to the conversation. I've learned over the years that "the people close to you" are the ones that do you the most harm. Any self-made millionaire/billionaire will tell you that listening to friends and family will keep you broke and unhappy. Just ask Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

Techrat

Not yet. Still waiting for 2020 so I can compare.

Back