• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Negative comments from others about DCT

I'm in the opposite situation from you. I'm going from a maxi-scooter with CVT to a manual transmission NC700. This is not because I especially love shifting. In fact apart from my initial lessons on riding a motorcycle almost 10 years ago, I haven't ridden a manual transmission bike. But if you've been riding a CBR300 and decided that you like motorcycling but not shifting, then by all means get that DCT. I've only heard good things about it.

I'd look into getting one myself, but (I'm also in Ontario) the Kijiji listings for used NC750DCTs are few and far between, and rather expensive. The one you linked to on the previous page looks like a reasonably good deal, for the DCT version loaded wth extras. You could of course save a bit by getting the non-DCT, but why ride a bike that you don't enjoy?

Of course I don't know anything about why your friends or family members care what kind of transmission you use, but I can't really see how it's any of their concern. DCT does give you the option to choose your gears manually, so what's their issue?

Edited to add: I was nothing but happy with my Burgman. Unfortunately it died in a crash and I thought I'd try something new. I'm adding this because I saw that further up the thread there were people suggesting to try a scooter, and I second that. They really are a lot of fun, though you wouldn't have quite the power that you would from the NC750, though a Burgman or BMW 650 might be pretty close. My Burgman 400 was fine on the highways. I used it to ride once to Boston, and twice to Wisconsin. The 2007-2016 Burgman 400 has 62 litres of under-seat storage.

Last edited:
I too was a manual shift purest. My friend dduelin had a NC DCT and let me ride it. I became a DCT fan and bought an NC700. I've tried to convert others without success. I offer to let then ride and they scoff at the idea. Sometimes you just can't help people. I am fortunate to have more than one motorcycle. This allows me stay proficient with manual shifting. I want to have it both ways.

I really like shifting. When I'm stuck in traffic and not moving...I would really appreciate the DCT. I don't get why people need to poo poo what makes another person happy when it comes to the type of machine they ride.

Past rides 3 Vespas and an Aprilia Mana. I am loving my NC750X DCT.
Enjoy your ride! Enjoy your experience!

I too was a manual shift purest. My friend dduelin had a NC DCT and let me ride it. I became a DCT fan and bought an NC700. I've tried to convert others without success. I offer to let then ride and they scoff at the idea. Sometimes you just can't help people. I am fortunate to have more than one motorcycle. This allows me stay proficient with manual shifting. I want to have it both ways.

I never can tell if these comments from DCT riders trying to “help” manual transmission lovers are serious or meant to be humorous.

I own and ride automatic scooters. I’ve ridden all of Honda’s U.S. DCT motorcycle models (all 8?), some of them multiple times. I know how Honda’s DCT works and operates, across their product line. I like automatic CVTs on scooters, but I very much prefer a manual transmission over Honda DCT on motorcycles. Why do some DCT owners look at manual owners as behind the times, or needing help or conversion? Some riders like DCT models, some like manuals. Can’t we just leave it at that?

Last edited:
I love the DCT in MANUAL mode. Easy paddle shifting, I control upshift and downshift, easy. I ride for pleasure - not commuting - so the automatic modes only get occasional use on highways (getting to the mountains). I personally think a lot of true manual transmission guys would really like DCT in manual mode. It’s basically like driving an Audi A8 or Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

)... I personally think a lot of true manual transmission guys would really like DCT in manual mode. It’s basically like driving an Audi A8 or Porsche.
Probably. That’s why I’m tempted to add a Rekluse clutchless system to my new bike eventually. As a bonus you can still use the clutch like normal when desired.

I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around how supposedly freedom loving motorcyclists are so stuck in the mud over who rides what or what they're wearing when they ride. The kind of bike you ride and gear you wear is up to you. Good luck on your purchase of the 2020 model. If you don't like the DCT you should not have too much trouble selling one as they are still somewhat of a rare bird with an excellent reputation.

DCT is good technology....

I am getting only negative comments from other riders and non-riders about my wish to get a DCT bike. They do not ride a DCT bike and have never ridden one. They know what they know and unfortunately are unwilling to expand their knowledge. I do not like shifting. ........

Any thoughts? How have other people responded to negative attitudes towards the DCT bike?

It's not 1950 90%+ of cars are AT even Porsche and mustangs. Not many drivers can out-shift a computer controlled AT.

From 2011 to present a I have been riding a 250cc scooter. The gasoline does all the "work" - "shifting manually" is not "work" - real "work" is riding bike with gears. Yesterday, I looked at a used NC700X and it was the first time I have "shifted" in about 2 years since I road a friends motorcycle. I'm cool with shifting but I think DCT is the way of the future along with electric.

The variator belt drive scooter is much different than DCT -- the variator is superior in some ways as #1 there 0 drive lash - that is what you experience from a chain as you speed up or slow down and when shifting. #2 the variator is provides infinitely variable gear ratios so you are always in or near the exact "gear" to match your driving and transitions between ratios are seamless - even the DCT is limited by available gears with defined ratios.

Final thought - any automation allows the driver to focus on and enjoy driving without the detraction of gears and working the clutch.

It's not 1950 90%+ of cars are AT even Porsche and mustangs. Not many drivers can out-shift a computer controlled AT.

From 2011 to present a I have been riding a 250cc scooter. The gasoline does all the "work" - "shifting manually" is not "work" - real "work" is riding bike with gears. Yesterday, I looked at a used NC700X and it was the first time I have "shifted" in about 2 years since I road a friends motorcycle. I'm cool with shifting but I think DCT is the way of the future along with electric.

The variator belt drive scooter is much different than DCT -- the variator is superior in some ways as #1 there 0 drive lash - that is what you experience from a chain as you speed up or slow down and when shifting. #2 the variator is provides infinitely variable gear ratios so you are always in or near the exact "gear" to match your driving and transitions between ratios are seamless - even the DCT is limited by available gears with defined ratios.

Final thought - any automation allows the driver to focus on and enjoy driving without the detraction of gears and working the clutch.

I agree with your description of the positive aspects of a CVT. Although there is a bit of driveline lash in the final drive gears after the clutch, other than that there are no gears or slop involved. I’ve always liked the tightness of the CVT, but never thought of why it was that way.

In regards to automation allowing the driver to focus on the drive, why don’t we integrate the brakes into one control instead of two? Why don’t we add two more wheels for stability and traction? Oh, wait, that sounds like an automobile. My point is, I like the complexity of manual shift motorcycles. If I want simplicity, I’ll just drive the auto shift car.

In regards to automation allowing the driver to focus on the drive, why don’t we integrate the brakes into one control instead of two? Why don’t we add two more wheels for stability and traction? Oh, wait, that sounds like an automobile. My point is, I like the complexity of manual shift motorcycles.

I feel that way often when certain topics tend to be overanalyzed. I get it, its why we are here, to discuss stuff in our free time, but if some stuff is THAT much of a worry, just get a car - problem solved. Lol

As for CVT, I like gear selection to be an option. Just not a huge fan of CVT in general. Although I never had an issue out of it in the Polaris Ranger I had and beat the crap out of. My mom's 2015 Jeep Patriot also has CVT trans in it. Might start seeing that in more vehicles as time goes by. Not sure of the reliability record of the ones in the Jeeps yet, hers doesn't have many miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey Forty Two,

For whatever it's worth, here's the take from a guy who has bought bikes because I liked the looks and bikes because I thought the functionality was superior to other offerings. I've made my share of mistakes.

IMO, the best looking bike I ever owned was a Harley Road King Classic. Metallic black with white walls, leather side bags and a fair bit of chrome. Man oh man, that bike was a looker. But it didn't fit me well. Not at all, actually.

I owned it at the same time I had a KLR650. A seriously ugly bike. Low HP, only a 5 speed, and questionable brakes. But that bike was the one that introduced me to adventure motorcycles, off road go anywhere traveling, and a totally different mindset when it came to why the heck I even ride these things. It was only purely functional. But really really functional. I loved that bike.

I've had a couple scooters with CVTs and they were a blast. But they weren't motorcycles and certainly not motorcycles with a DCT (though no one was suggesting that). I'm not arguing against trying them for sure. That's great advice. Big fun.

But, like I said, they aren't motorcycles. if you want to be a motorcycle gal, buy a motorcycle. I think your thought process about what and why to buy is absolutely correct. Keep reading the forum. These folks are on your side. Be patient and get what feels right. You'll get there.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Last edited:
Forty Two buy the DCT if you think it is the right bike for you.
No one knows what bike is the right one for you, better than you.
Be true to yourself.

I would recommend the DCT for you. I have one and have had no problems with the DCT. I have ridden as much as 700 miles in one day with no problem (well....I did upgrade to a SHAD seat and fixed the slope). In the mountains, I generally ride in Sport mode and using the paddle sifters, go up or down as I feel is need for the corners. I have ridden in manual mode, but find that the sport mode with manual shifting suites me. And +1 on the Africa Twin and new Goldwing, both are available in DCT and have gotten very good reviews.

I've had my 700XDCT for almost 5 years. Just purchased a Royal Enfield Himalayan to go with my NC. Been riding the Himma around the neighborhood to break it in. Took a long ride Saturday on the NC....I really appreciate the DCT. I think the places where DCT is not better than manual can be counted on one hand...maybe with only a couple of fingers. I purchased the Himma because I wanted a second bike that was smaller and lighter. If they had one with DCT, I would've gotten it.

Good comments from all, but the OP appears to have left the conversation 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Good comments from all, but the OP appears to have left the conversation 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Yup, I noticed the same thing when I saw she had stopped replying.

I hope she finds whatever she is looking for and enjoys it :)

Thank you everyone. I did not leave and I have read every post. I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I appologize for not replying more. It was due to external circumstances.

I have decided to get the NC750x DCT and will do so as soon as it is realistically possible.

That’s nice to hear. Good luck, and come back to tell us how it works out for you!

Back