• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need more power

Wy wife wants to ride on back and she is heavy. I'm going to need more power. Anyone know how large the NC 700 motor can be bored out to.
That's allot of work for minimal gains.
When me and my wife combined weighed over 500lb then add riding gear, loaded side cases and the frunk being loaded with tools and electronics there was around 700lb on the NC and the suspension could have been better (more so then usual) but power wise it was the same as 300lb on it.
We've rode over small mountains around town and down the freeway without problems.

Probably can be bored at least from 670cc to 745cc, since Honda did it. The power increase is almost insignificant, though.

I’d think having enough suspension and a decent passenger seat are going to be your first problems.

[Probably can be bored at least from 670cc to 745cc, since Honda did it.]

My guess is that a larger size liner was used for the 750 because they'd still want adequate wall thickness for strength. This also allows thickness for reboring in the future where a 670 bored to 745 will probably be at the limit.

Honestly, I don't think anyone rebores a modern, street bike engine any more....much more practical to buy a bike with a fresh engine or one with more power!

Last edited:
I take my son for rides, I'm 185# and he is heavier. I never wish for more power. I do however use sport mode. There it is perfect.

[Probably can be bored at least from 670cc to 745cc, since Honda did it.]

My guess is that a larger size liner was used for the 750 because they'd still want adequate wall thickness for strength. This also allows thickness for reboring in the future where a 670 bored to 745 will probably be at the limit.

Honestly, I don't think anyone rebores a modern, street bike engine any more....much more practical to buy a bike with a fresh engine or one with more power!

Agreed. I was throwing that out more to show that the small power increase of the 750 over the 700 from a 75cc gain was not worth the trouble, even if it could be bored.

You could do all the boring and pipes and programming chips you want, but in my opinion you simply need a different bike if the one you had was inadequate. Don’t waste your time, unless you’re just “bored”.

In all honesty and I am not being smart here, if more power is required for two up travel or the like, then the cleanest and least troublesome option is to change the bike for a more powerful one. I now have the 750 motor in my X-Adv and to be honest (as is suggested above) the gain over the 670 motor is marginal if at all. That was the impression I also had when I rode the NC750X back to back with the NC700X. At the time I also recall preferring the responsiveness of the smaller motor.

Imho for effective passing power and the ability to haul two folks with luggage, then one needs to look more at the 1000cc + machines. Sure some folks will say the NC is good for them but to be honest for fast two up travel especially on Motorways or the like, the NC is not strong enough. The minimal pillion saddle also makes it clear that the bike wasn't designed with long distance two up travel in mind.

Wy wife wants to ride on back and she is heavy. I'm going to need more power.

Adding Mass (weight) lowers acceleration: A = F/M. The force that an engine produces is Torque. The transmission and final chain drive multiplies torque by decreasing decreasing RPM's of the engine. (works the same way as levers and pullies ) Adding teeth to the rear sprocket will change the overall drive ratio and help maintain acceleration.

Power, as in HP or Watts are scalar quantities and are the ability to do work, not Forces. The work done by vehicle engines is moving the vehicle through a fluid (air). Therefore, to a first order approximation, Torque determines acceleration and HP top speed. Getting anything more than an increase i decibel output from the NC engine is harder and more expensive than it's worth.

I'd consider the pillion on the NC to be for emergency and other temporary use only. Even with my, shall we say, narrow significant other, the NC does not really have the roominess or capacity to make much more than breakfast rides.
The reason I've had a Wing in the garage for the past couple decades is for carrying a passenger. Apart from that use, I don't often ride one.
Big, strong bikes make passenger-toting not just more doably-comfortable, they do it more safely. Within the Honda family, the ST series is capable; among Kawasakis, both Concours series are quite adequate; I used my ZG1000 for years to replace the lightweight R100RT we had, until finally I could no longer resist the call for the Wing(s).

Like all opinions...here is another free one :) Take the wife out for a ride and see how it goes. If you think it doesn't have enough power it is probably best to get a different bike. If you think it has enough power then you get into comfort. My spouse puts up with it but her limit maxes out at a couple of hours.

I once wrote here, NC7 is very good for solo riding.
For 2 up...it is entirely up to the pocket depth of the rider. It can be a Goldwing, a K1600LT or any big tour bikes.

Like all opinions...here is another free one :) Take the wife out for a ride and see how it goes. If you think it doesn't have enough power it is probably best to get a different bike. If you think it has enough power then you get into comfort. My spouse puts up with it but her limit maxes out at a couple of hours.

I think this is some great advice. My wife only weighs 135. She barely made it two hours and I have an aftermarket pillion. If your talking a long trip, with panniers and topbox, things are gonna be tight and little room for her to move around and get comfortable. Especially her legs.

I took my 20 year old daughter 3 hours to her college town. Her legs were so cramped up that she let them hang down (off the foot pegs) to get some relief. Not a very safe way to carry a passenger.

Touring or sport touring bikes are the only classes that adequately accommodate a passenger.
Passenger foot pegs are high and cramped on practically everything else. Not good for the pillion.

Also, a bone stock vehicle holds value best. Money put into accessories/mods are pennies on the dollar at trade in/selling.
Boring the engine makes me cringe to think about it.

My prior ST1300A with Day Long saddle was an easy all day rider. I have nearly 50K miles of very good memories on that beast.

You'll need to get a bigger bike. If you like DCT you've got several options now. The Africa Twin, the Goldwing, VFR1200X...
But probably cheaper to just buy a 2nd bike. Plus you'll get a lot more storage capacity that way.

It all depends on the unique situation. I know for my wife and I, combined weight of ~300 lbs we have done an 8 hour day (saddle time, total time closer to 12 hours) with some complaining from both of us. A 3 hour ride (with a couple butt-breaks) is no problem whatsoever. This is not to say that everyone will find it suitable, there are many different factors that come in to play. All I am saying is that you have to try it yourselves to know if it works or not.

The force that an engine produces is Torque. The transmission and final chain drive multiplies torque by decreasing decreasing RPM's of the engine. (works the same way as levers and pullies ) Adding teeth to the rear sprocket will change the overall drive ratio and help maintain acceleration.

Power, as in HP or Watts are scalar quantities and are the ability to do work, not Forces. The work done by vehicle engines is moving the vehicle through a fluid (air). Therefore, to a first order approximation, Torque determines acceleration and HP top speed. Getting anything more than an increase i decibel output from the NC engine is harder and more expensive than it's worth.

Power is (essentially) the rate at which work is accomplished, or the time it takes to accomplish the work. The _power_ output of an engine is the only thing that matters to performance (acceleration as well as top speed). The transmission's job is to make the exchange between rpm and torque, but the amount of power the engine is making at that particular time is the cap or maximum rate at which work can be accomplished.

He needs more power. The tranny/gearing will translate that into more torque at the rear wheel at any given rpm.

Back