• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

need help with engine bolts

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thank you.

but what is a JIS hex head? is that what i need? will it work with my sockets that i have?

JIS is the Japanese Industry Standard. The original bolts are JIS (B1189) as well. There is no problem using your normal metric tools. A JIS flange bolt may take a different size socket (smaller) than a standard metric or a DIN spec bolt. But once you find the right socket it will work. As a washer head bolt, the one I reference would not need a washer, except as I pointed out if it was necessary in order to take up extra depth. I would try the 90mm first without a washer to see if there was sufficient threaded length for it to work without bottoming out the threads. The mounting bosses in the block are tapped through, and there is no problem with a longer bolt extended past the block so long as there is a thread or two on the inside. If the threads bottom out, add a washer. If not, you are good to go.

EDITED TO ADD: An interesting bit of trivia is that the reason most German bikes have a 13mm wrench (and no 14mm) in the tool kit and most Japanese bikes have 14mm wrench (and no 13mm) is because of the differences between the DIN and JIC standards.

Last edited:
Back