• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need help in St. Louis are

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on my Route 66 trip, started in Chicago on Friday. Tonight I'm sleeping in Edwardsville, IL.
My front wheel is wobbling A LOT! Not exactly tank slapper, but close. Even when I'm in a curve, at the speed about 35 mph I would feel it in my hands.
Everything started when I installed my Shinko 705 (the thread here).
When I checked on Saturday the balance wheel weights are all gone.
I'm not going home until next weekend so if somebody can recommend a dealer/service in St. Louis area (or along Route 66 in IL and MO) to re-balance my front tire?

Thanks for any help,
Afan

Hey Afan, if you have not already done so put your bike up on it's center stand and spin the front tire by hand watching to see if you can detect the problem. Hopefully it is something simple.
:{)

I did it when the tire was installed, a year ago or so.
It's good idea, worth checking the tire and the rim, just in case.

Thanks.

Sorry for not replying earlier, had next 3 hotels with really bad internet connections...

The problem was with the cupping. The front tire was really bad. Wasting time with adding the wheel weight wouldn't help much. So I just continued. :D

Here are the pics of the front tire.

Now, I'm back home and planning to replace the both tires. When I left home the rear tire was in decent condition. But braking hard for days when missing an exit and/or attraction along the road, as well as riding 75-85 mph on the roads that are rough like sandpaper, it took the toll on the rear tire. Here is the link of the tire now :D It's Shinko 705.
When I realized in what a bad condition the tire is, about 500 miles from home, the rest of the trip I was riding no more than 65mph, taking really slow acceleration and deceleration... And it worked :D

How heavy of a load are you carrying? any way to shift weight forward?

I'm the heaviest lead, and landing my gut on the frunk would definitely help...

My toolbag as the heaviest part is in the frunk, then the next heaviest stuff ar in the side cases, than next in the drybag on the pillion seat and the lightest stuff in the top case. I think I did it well with the "weight distribution".

Thanks.

I got 8544 miles out of my first one, 7180 miles out of my second one and the third one was still on it then i traded it to MyCroft with about 5k-6k on it...now it's all his!
:{)

Shinko 705 at 8544 miles May to Sept .JPG

Back