• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need help deciding on luggage for Wifes bike

As for the V35 reflectors- no they're not reflective. They're backed by white paper.

Thanks for that verification. It’s stuff like these fake reflectors and also a light kit that won’t fit correctly that makes me have to downgrade my opinion of Givi products.

Last edited:
Not the poster that you asked, but I saved hundreds by ordering from Motocard.com. Based in Spain if I recall correctly, I was quite a bit nervous because of the shipping to Ohio as well as the language barriers. I was using Google translate to find the product information, but I literally saved hundreds of dollars. Further, I couldn't believe how fast the shipping was.

1004191650.jpg
They are all Monokey, I ordered a set of tumblers to replace all 3 locks and make them 1 key.

15755981503781124193714203374870.jpg
Here's one more shot of the bag detached, with just the top portion open. I mounted little motion sensored rechargeable lights on the underside of the lid so that I can see in them after dark.
In the background you'll see a crummy shot of the sw-motech rack that I use. It's quick detach and you can take it off in less than 30 seconds if you're not using the side cases and wish to clean up the bike.

Thanks for that verification. It’s stuff like these fake reflectors and also a light kit that won’t fit correctly that makes me have to downgrade my opinion of Givi products.

As someone who owns GIVI (via my wife's bike) I would argue that GIVI is popular because it is widely distributed and easily available. There are superior brands out there but they are often harder to find, more expensive, etc. I'm not a big fan of Shad either. We got the Givi V35 cases at a smoking deal when we bought my wife's bike because the dealer really wanted to make a deal on the bike and pretty much gave them to us.

As for side case styles, I'm not a huge fan of any of the bottom hinge side cases from any brand. I looked at all the GIVI, Shad, Touratech, Tusk, Hepco & Becker and a couple other options. I'm very happy with my Hepco & Becker cases but I could suggest a couple improvements to those too.

I much prefer to have a top lid that removes. Unless you have an internal luggage bag its pretty easy to dump the contents of the side case onto the ground. Givi does have a well designed quick release so you can remove the whole case from the bike, but as I wired in lights, even with a quick connect, my wife prefers to just leave the side cases on her bike at all times.

Givi also has a 2 stage lock to make it a bit harder to dump the contents onto the ground, but it can be a bit frustrating to use when the case is tightly packed.

With any brand of side cases that have bottom hinges just plan to buy an internal luggage carry bag. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it. Your's may vary.

Not the poster that you asked, but I saved hundreds by ordering from Motocard.com. Based in Spain if I recall correctly, I was quite a bit nervous because of the shipping to Ohio as well as the language barriers. I was using Google translate to find the product information, but I literally saved hundreds of dollars. Further, I couldn't believe how fast the shipping was.

I got my Hepco & Becker side cases from Germany on close out and saved a bundle. Internet translators are a wonderful thing!

Last edited:
As someone who owns GIVI (via my wife's bike) I would argue that GIVI is popular because it is widely distributed and easily available. There are superior brands out there but they are often harder to find, more expensive, etc. I'm not a big fan of Shad either. We got the Givi V35 cases at a smoking deal when we bought my wife's bike because the dealer really wanted to make a deal on the bike and pretty much gave them to us.

As for side case styles, I'm not a huge fan of any of the bottom hinge side cases from any brand. I looked at all the GIVI, Shad, Touratech, Tusk, Hepco & Becker and a couple other options. I'm very happy with my Hepco & Becker cases but I could suggest a couple improvements to those too.

I much prefer to have a top lid that removes. Unless you have an internal luggage bag its pretty easy to dump the contents of the side case onto the ground. Givi does have a well designed quick release so you can remove the whole case from the bike, but as I wired in lights, even with a quick connect, my wife prefers to just leave the side cases on her bike at all times.

Givi also has a 2 stage lock to make it a bit harder to dump the contents onto the ground, but it can be a bit frustrating to use when the case is tightly packed.

With any brand of side cases that have bottom hinges just plan to buy an internal luggage carry bag. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it. Your's may vary.

I got my Hepco & Becker side cases from Germany on close out and saved a bundle. Internet translators are a wonderful thing!
I am of a different experience. I prefer my motorcycle luggage to be the side-loading configuration. A little planning organization makes them easy to use. I make partitions that fit inside the bottom of the inside half and use the partitions and netting or bungee cord to keep items from falling down and out. Inside these Givi E36's I epoxied small eyes around the inner perimeter to hook and criss-cross small bungee cords or netting and these hold lighter higher loaded items from falling down and out when the case is opened. Use half bag liners and small stuff sacks for multiples of things like clothing, gloves, personal items to cut down on loose items. The outside half makes a shelf when opened and stored items there are easily accessed without rooting around.

It's harder to organize top loading cases with vertical partitions and it seems like what you need always falls down to the bottom of the case and you end up rooting around for it or unloading half the stuff out of the case to find it. Whatever works best for your needs.

Off at a tangent here. My NC was delivered in October. Honda luggage was on a long back order. I opted for givi luggage and a box was fitted and the V37 cases arrived at the dealers but the Givi pannier racks are still on another back order. The rep suggested fitting the kappa equivalent. They did and guess what - the V37's would not clip on. Still waiting............

DSCN5098-L.jpg

I've been happy with the GIVI. These trekker cases allow you to open two ways and I don't think they stick out too far. When not traveling, I put one of the smaller cases on the tail in order to carry small items, maps, jacket liner etc. I just purchased a Royal Enfield Himalayan and put GIVI racks on it so that I can use the cases on either bike. I also purchased the GIVI soft luggage which I can also use on either motorcycle. I don't worry with removing the racks. That doesn't bother me. I probably won't use the big top case in the future. Lots of weight too high. I'll stick with duffles back there.

20160611_073128-L.jpg

Just another option if no one mentioned it already ... GIVI Monokey pannier frames with E360N(?) Top Box/Panniers. You can fit
a shed load of gear and I have found them 100% waterproof. I also have a 46 litre Trekker top box. These were also the cheapest option ... about $1,000 (Australian) for the frames and boxes (not including the Trekker box).
NC750X_Givi_Monokey.jpg

I am of the GIVI persuasion. I have used their stuff for years because it is well engineered and reasonably priced. However I have had had rust problems. Not an insurmountable problem and easily remedied but more nuisance than anything.

One consideration when fitting panniers is keeping the weight on the rear of the bike as low as possible. For that reason, unless I am carrying the Wife and luggage I use small panniers solo and carry as much weight as possible up front, or at least the heaviest items. Givi do a neat pannier (E22) and they are proportionally good with the NCX. This is an old photo from this forum (unable to reproduce the page) albeit the boxes are imho fitted back to front and look better fitted in the opposite direction.
I have a very old set which have a more rounded profile but I have used them on all sorts of bikes for years including my former NC700X. Havent gotten around to fitting panniers on the X-Adv yet but have'nt felt the need.......

1577967416861.png

Check out YouTube. "Honda nc750x dct adventure motorcycle with 160,000 km"
This guy has Shad side cases and has ridden all over SE Asia and China. He gives a break down on what was added for accessories and how they have held up.

Check out YouTube. "Honda nc750x dct adventure motorcycle with 160,000 km"
This guy has Shad side cases and has ridden all over SE Asia and China. He gives a break down on what was added for accessories and how they have held up.
I think that pretty much anyone will make anything work and is a willing advocate for any brand that works for them!

Honestly buy the cases you like the best and don't look back... just make sure your wife is happy with the choice!

I ended up going with Givi mainly because they are much easier for me to get. I started off with just the top case and the side bags will come later when the budget allows.... I ended up getting the case and all the hardware from twisted throttle which is quasi local for me and i like supporting those guys with my business. I went with the v47 topcase with aluminum inserts. I think it looks pretty good on the bike and she is super happy. Overall it want on real easy too. When the time comes for the side cases they will be the v37 cases with the same aluminum inserts.

Here is a pic of it installed, since its winter i didnt feel like dragging the bike out of the shed.....
i-HJmJ9t4-X2.jpg

I like the Shad SH23's, but Shad says the SH23's are not compatible with the NC700/750's. Anyone have the SH23s on their NC?

Last edited:
Here's a comparison pic posted by tjud in the thread Luggage Questions (Givi vs. Shad)

View attachment 39450
Givi on the left, Shad on the right
Thanks for this. I’ve tried to describe how the Givi V35 cases contour fit closer to the bike than other boxes but this really shows it very bell in your comparison photo.

Those Shad cases look like they make the bike width about 5-6” wider overall. Any chance you can run a tape measure to check the overall width of each?

WOW, you could caption that photo with "Do these bags make my rearend look fat?".... AAHHAHAHAHhahahaha Man those look huge on the bike, but i really like the storage capacity. I just ordered the rear rack assy from Mmoto in Kharkov Ukraine and the Kappa 40's for mine. They should be here in about 6 months lol. :{)

I have Givi Outback 37 liter cases on a Monokey mount. About 40,000 miles on them and no issues. I also have 42 liter Outback top case.
Not familiar with the Shad stuff...

I purchased the Givi equipment online and had it shipped from Europe...saved a considerable amount of $$

Here are some pics of the Givi cases and top box on and off the bike. Takes about 20 seconds.

IMG_2516-X2.jpg

IMG_2772-X2.jpg
Really like that tank and crash bar. Do you remember the brand or where the came from??

Nice set up and bike!!

WOW, you could caption that photo with "Do these bags make my rearend look fat?".... AAHHAHAHAHhahahaha Man those look huge on the bike, but i really like the storage capacity. I just ordered the rear rack assy from Mmoto in Kharkov Ukraine and the Kappa 40's for mine. They should be here in about 6 months lol. :{)

The Moto rack arrived earlier this last winter and I finally got it mounted a couple of weeks ago. Man what a fight that was, def not a “bolt right on” rack but I do like it so far. Ive moved twice since my new bags and rack arrived and kinda threw everything together and in boxes/bags. So, I am still looking for the hardware for rack so I can attach the top box and new side luggage. All three boxes just sitting here at my new place waiting for me to find the mounting hardware.

Attachments

• 0CEB503C-1674-4AFB-B5C2-FD0195CD63B0.jpeg
    0CEB503C-1674-4AFB-B5C2-FD0195CD63B0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Back