• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X Tyre Wear

Mcress

Reaction score
Visit site
Just clicked over 2000 miles on my 750x DCT and whilst cleaning at the weekend I checked the tyres - surprisingly both the front and rear are down to under 3mm. Tyres are the standard fitment Dunlop Trailmax's. Pressures are spot on...

I reckon before 4000 miles they will be ilegal - seems a very high rate of wear on these tyres - I have done the same commute for the last 15 years and never had less than 10k rear and 14k front on a whole bunch of different bikes and tyre types.

I'll keep an eye on the wear rate but it doesn't look great!

Cheers,

Mike.

Typical Dunlop's is what that sounds like. I work for Harley which have always come with them, they have depressing tire life. I now sell majority Michelin Commander 2 which have shown more than double tire life for people that check their pressures.

Just had an interesting conversation with a nice chap from Dunlop Europe - he confirmed that the Trailmax Tyres fitted to the 750, being a 'semi offroad' tyre, aren't dual compound so for road use only this wear rate is not unusual. He also said that the wear rate probably won't be linear over the next few thousand miles due to the block shape so they should go for around 5k in all.

He is researching what 'road only' dual compound tyres would be suitable in the Dunlop range as the 750 is not yet on their list and will get back to me.

It's not a big issue - after all it's just a set of tyres - but posting this as just an FYI...

Cheers,

Mike.

That's terrible. It had been mentioned before that the 750 was coming with a different tire. I wonder why Honda chose something that would wear out so quickly. Although a few people take the NC offroad I would think a majority keep them on the street. At least thats the feeling I get from this forum.

I have around 14k miles on my dunlop elite III's on my CB750K, still have a lot of tread left on them. Not sure what would be causing your tires to wear out prematurely, other than they sound like an on road off road compromise.

Last edited:
Here in Portugal, we got at least two complaints on our forum:
One guy has a ducati 1199, and the NC750x. He has worn the dunlop tyres by more than half (they are nearly illegal) in 2500kms (which is what? 1500miles?)
The other is a newbie, so very very easy on the throttle, and has worn his tires "very visibly" (in his own words) in 2000kms. (600).

Seems like its super soft rubber, and tears itself to shreads on the road.
Which is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen a major manufacturer do. "An economical bike that spends more on tires than on fuel!"

This is no bullshit. My NC costs 0.06€ per kilometer in fuel.
If these 300€ tires last for 4000kms, it will spend MORE money on tires (0.075) than on fuel (0.065). LOL.

One guy has a ducati 1199, and the NC750x. He has worn the dunlop tyres by more than half (they are nearly illegal) in 2500kms (which is what? 1500miles?)
The other is a newbie, so very very easy on the throttle, and has worn his tires "very visibly" (in his own words) in 2000kms. (600).

Which is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen a major manufacturer do. "An economical bike that spends more on tires than on fuel!"

If these 300€ tires last for 4000kms, it will spend MORE money on tires (0.075) than on fuel (0.065). LOL.

Hello Mr Cager - I very much enjoy your youtube accounts of bike test rides. It was your reviews of the NC which was, in part, the reason why I bought a 750X.

I thought parts of your MT-09 review were hilarious (I nearly bought one but resisted) and your fast run on the freeway on the NC when you thought you'd been busted was another memorable one!

The NC - a slow bike? I think not.

Keep up the good work

The rear on my 750X has virtually had it (almost, if not illegal, 1mm tread) after just 2500 miles, WTF? :mad:

I've never had a Dunlop tyre on a bike before, and I certainly won't be having another!

I was travelling up the A1 (like a freeway) a few days ago and when I looked at the tyre on a break, it looked like Id ragged it around Brands Hatch!

I was only doing a steady 70-75mph. :confused:

Last edited:
poo.

I was at the Hondo dealer yesterday and saw a '13 with the trailmax's on it... sexy LOOKING tire.. glad I read this thread down here at the bottom of the page

Hello
my first post on the forum,I have the same problem with the dunlop tiers 1200km and more than half the treads gone
I think I will go with tourance or anakee the new tourance is more road biased than the old one the michelin anakee is a very good tire in the wet my experience is that the tourance last a little longer than the anakee,but you have to give something for better grip.
have 50 years experience driving my first honda in 62 and bmw from 75 (all models up to 2013) bought the nc 750x with standard gearbox this year to try something new.
sofar I like it 75%,will order a new seat,the engine well I think honda could have done a better balancing job,in fourth gear or higher it feels like a underpowerd HD under accseleration.

hello biker brothers, in Italy we have the same problem. to me after 1400km tires were smooth. honda Italy shall replace the tires dunlop with pirelli scorpion

I'm running Pirelli Scorpions, I have ridden about 6000km and they have around 1.5mm left before I reach tread depth indicator. I don't have the lightest right wrist so that doesn't seem too bad in comparison.

I've never had a Dunlop tyre on a bike before, and I certainly won't be having another!

I don't think there's any need to write off the whole of Dunlop, it sounds like it's just a problem with the Trailmax. I believe the latest Sportsmart and Roadsmart tyres are as great as other makes.

I don't think there's any need to write off the whole of Dunlop, it sounds like it's just a problem with the Trailmax. I believe the latest Sportsmart and Roadsmart tyres are as great as other makes.

First impressions last.

What is the tread depth on the Dunlop tires? I want to monitor my tire progression wear.

I didn't measure the depth from the start as I had no idea they'd become an issue. But I've read on here and the UK forum that from new there's around 4mm to the minimum tread depth indicator.

I measured the new Pirellis when they were fitted last Monday and I reckon there's about 7 or 8mm available. Plus, it's constructed differently so that will aid long term wear.

Back