• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X mounting problems

Beduin

Reaction score
Visit site
I am having trouble getting on and off my NC750X with both side panniers fitted. I was hoping to employ the 'Cavalry' style of mounting/dismounting but the side stand does not appear stable enough ie it moves and also the bike needs to be almost vertical in order to use the footpeg. Has anyone got any experience or tips to help me with this?

I have Givi Outback Trekker panniers, and yes, it IS tough to mount easily. I have barked my knee on the left one getting on, and had a sore knee all week long.
Since I am 6'1", ( 34-35" inseam), I end up REALLY lifting my right leg to get it over the panniers. Sometimes, it is more like i just straighten out my right leg, and slide it over the seat, avoiding the panniers altogether. About a quarter of the time, I end up hitting the R/H side pannier, and get that one second of " Holy Cow! I'm not gonna make it!"

There was a long time member on the forum who had bad knees and was height challenged. He had a cool method of mounting the NC (and later, an Africa Twin) that worked for him. Stand on the left side of the bike, with your back to the seat. Hold the left handgrip with your right hand. Lift your right leg backwards, all the way up, bending at the hip joint and knee, and extend it over the seat behind you. Then lean the body backwards towards the bike and rotate towards the front as you slide your butt onto the seat.

As far as the sidestand integrity, they are pretty strong. They are usually sloppy, wobbly fit from the factory. I had to shim mine at the pivot with a washer to get a nice solid fit.

Last edited:
I use the 'Charlie Boorman long way round' mounting technique. You put your boot heel on the seat, grab the handlebar and take two hops towards the bike. As practical as it is elegant (Not!).

There was a long time member on the forum who had bad knees and was height challenged. He had a cool method of mounting the NC (and later, an Africa Twin) that worked for him. Stand on the left side of the bike, with your back to the seat. Hold the left handgrip with your right hand. Lift your right leg backwards, all the way up, bending at the hip joint and knee, and extend it over the seat behind you. Then lean the body backwards towards the bike and rotate towards the front as you slide your butt onto the seat.

As far as the sidestand integrity, they are pretty strong. They are usually sloppy, wobbly fit from the factory. I had to shim mine at the pivot with a washer to get a nice solid fit.
I was with you up to the point of holding the left grip but after that I could imaging a weird version of a hoky-koki but thanks. I think I will investigate shimming the side-stand hinge

I have Givi Outback Trekker panniers, and yes, it IS tough to mount easily. I have barked my knee on the left one getting on, and had a sore knee all week long.
Since I am 6'1", ( 34-35" inseam), I end up REALLY lifting my right leg to get it over the panniers. Sometimes, it is more like i just straighten out my right leg, and slide it over the seat, avoiding the panniers altogether. About a quarter of the time, I end up hitting the R/H side pannier, and get that one second of " Holy Cow! I'm not gonna make it!"
I am having much the same problem. I am a mature rider and things don't bend the way they used to. I can just scrape over with only the right pannier but have no chance of getting there over the left one. I saw a Youtube video of a guy showing the cavalry method and he made it look so effortless but the reality is quite different and more than a little hairy.

Back