• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

I can't say because honestly, I have only ridden maybe 8 miles in manual mode and I shift way before 6000 rpms. Maybe someone who rides in manual mode a lot and more aggressively than I can answer that question.
Ah. You sometimes say you would like the NC to have more horsepower, but by your description, you don’t even use all the available horsepower that it has. (I’m not being serious; just poking at you a little).

It's a conundrum I tell you, and I'll explain it like this, I have never liked riding bikes at high rpms. I don't like riding that way, so I never get to use all the power available from any of my motorcycles. But when you ride a 125-145 hp 4 cyl liter class bike and shift at say 3200 rpms you are getting/using more horsepower and torque than you get from a 58 hp 750 at 6000 rpms. ie I want more horsepower/torque at the 3000-3500 rpm ranges I normally ride in, without having to stress the engine so much. It's why I have ridden liter class bikes since 1977. They pull like freight trains at low rpms. They are easy to ride without a bunch of revving and shifting. Somehow, I convinced myself that I didn't need 630 pounds and 145 horsepower for my daily rides and traded my FJR for my NC 750. So now, I miss the power of the FJR. Like I have said, the NC is getting the job done for me, I just wish it had more power/torque. I do enjoy the light weight, the DCT and the gas mileage. But I miss the low rev power. Another 25 or so horsepower would make the NC a lot more fun to ride FOR ME.

Some guys are revvers, some guys are luggers lol. I'm a lugger. (not ACTUALLY lugging, just not riding at higher rpms). It's also why I have never enjoyed riding European bikes much, as they all seem to prefer being revved and ridden above 4,000 rpms. Just not how I enjoy riding.

That's too bad. You are essentially riding a 30 hp motorcycle because you won't use what you have. Most 750's rev well past 10,000 rpm. 6000 rpm is not stressing the engine in a bad way at all.

It's a conundrum I tell you, and I'll explain it like this, I have never liked riding bikes at high rpms. I don't like riding that way, so I never get to use all the power available from any of my motorcycles. But when you ride a 125-145 hp 4 cyl liter class bike and shift at say 3200 rpms you are getting/using more horsepower and torque than you get from a 58 hp 750 at 6000 rpms. ie I want more horsepower/torque at the 3000-3500 rpm ranges I normally ride in, without having to stress the engine so much. It's why I have ridden liter class bikes since 1977. They pull like freight trains at low rpms. They are easy to ride without a bunch of revving and shifting. Somehow, I convinced myself that I didn't need 630 pounds and 145 horsepower for my daily rides and traded my FJR for my NC 750. So now, I miss the power of the FJR. Like I have said, the NC is getting the job done for me, I just wish it had more power/torque. I do enjoy the light weight, the DCT and the gas mileage. But I miss the low rev power. Another 25 or so horsepower would make the NC a lot more fun to ride FOR ME.

Some guys are revvers, some guys are luggers lol. I'm a lugger. (not ACTUALLY lugging, just not riding at higher rpms). It's also why I have never enjoyed riding European bikes much, as they all seem to prefer being revved and ridden above 4,000 rpms. Just not how I enjoy riding.
I hear what you’re saying. The way I ride my NC, it may as well be a 30 hp motorcycle, but I am totally content with that. I don’t wish for more. I probably ride my 250 and rarely extract more than 15 hp from it. The only bike I have that I ride WOT is my Ruckus, but then it’s probably putting out all of 4 hp.

The problem with getting a large motorcycle and only using 50% of it is that you have to carry the extra weight and bulk of a frame and power train that is capable of the full power output that is never used. Better to have a light, lean and mean bike and use all of it when needed. That, for me, is the appeal of small motorcycles.

I hear what you’re saying. The way I ride my NC, it may as well be a 30 hp motorcycle, but I am totally content with that. I don’t wish for more.
I'm getting there, it's only been 7 months. Rode liter class bikes for 44 years. Taking a while to adjust that's all.

if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) .... without being in manual mode on the DCT equipped NC's, you will never feel the true potential horsepower of the NC, because there is no auto mode where will it hit peak hp revs of 6300 rpms. It will always shift before that. However, you will feel peak torque which comes in at 4400 rpms.
Mickey,

I would be surprised if the 750 does not change up at the same rpm in all auto modes when accelerating with the throttle held wide open, which is right before what would be the rev limiter kicking in. The 700X is like this in both D and S modes. Whack the gas open and hold it open and it shifts at the 700's red line of 6500 rpm in at least the first 3 or 4 gears no matter which auto mode is selected. When you need maximum acceleration you get it no matter what mode.

Of course the "sportier" the auto mode that is selected, the higher the upshift and downshift points are at less than WOT.

You make a good point. Question: during acceleration in manual mode on the 750 DCT, at what RPM will the transmission automatically upshift to protect the engine, or does it not upshift and instead just let the engine hit the rev limiter? I can’t recall from my test rides experiences how it behaves.
The 700/750s manual mode allows the engine to hit the rev limiter at the rider's will. It only downshifts automatically to prevent lugging or stalling the engine.

Interesting. I can't say that I've ever held it wide open, but when I've ridden it pretty aggressively it seems like it shifted about 4500 rpms. When it gets warm again, I'll do a little experimenting but really I'm not a hold it wide open kinda guy. Just my nature.

I know guys that say they bang their bikes off redline on every ride. That just isn't me.

Interesting. I can't say that I've ever held it wide open, but when I've ridden it pretty aggressively it seems like it shifted about 4500 rpms. When it gets warm again, I'll do a little experimenting but really I'm not a hold it wide open kinda guy. Just my nature.

I know guys that say they bang their bikes off redline on every ride. That just isn't me.
I really only know about the DCT 700X WOT shift behavior because someone years ago asked or posted something about it and I wanted to see if it was true. I'm predisposed to relatively low revving motorcycles but I like to run them out at times. It's what they are made for after all. A good old Italian tune-up never hurt a thing except maybe one's drivers license. I think it was Peter Egan that wrote "some moths like to fly a little closer to the flame."

Power was not a thought when I purchased in 2012. I was 52 and looking at something to get me retirement at 62. After checking all options and humbling myself that the 02 ZRX1200R I had was everything I always liked but was not going to get me there. Reading all about this new concept I was reminded about my old 81 CB900F. It was also under square and comparing it to the CBX was a much better street bike. Was never a fan of twins (we are talking bike engines) always loved a 180 deg cranked 4cylinder. But this bikes power plant concept with 270deg crank, under square B/S, single balance shaft, screw adjusters was adding up. Honda has always done what other manufacturers are afraid of making. We all want more power less weight better brakes and suspension but for a do everything bike I finally made a intelligent motorcycle purchase. Now if I can just retire I can ride off into the sunset.

LOL in 2003 I was 53 and bought the bike I thought would take me to my retirement. Even told my wife it was my last bike purchase. I think that was 8 or 10 bikes ago. I will be 72 in May and still not sure if my last purchase will indeed be my last purchase.

I was 70 when I bought mine. I’d sold my Goldwing and Triumph Tiger a few months before. I rode an FJR for a few years and frankly it was “too fast”. The Ducati i had at the time was likely faster, BUT on the FJR I found myself cruising at 90 when I thought I was running 60 (on the Duc you knew you were running 90). The Feejer was sneaky fast, speed would creep up without knowing it. I’ve found the NC a nice all rounder. I’d like another 15 or 20 ponies “just cause” but don’t actually “need” them..

I was 70 when I bought mine. I’d sold my Goldwing and Triumph Tiger a few months before. I rode an FJR for a few years and frankly it was “too fast”. The Ducati i had at the time was likely faster, BUT on the FJR I found myself cruising at 90 when I thought I was running 60 (on the Duc you knew you were running 90). The Feejer was sneaky fast, speed would creep up without knowing it. I’ve found the NC a nice all rounder. I’d like another 15 or 20 ponies “just cause” but don’t actually “need” them..
Exactly why I used the CC on the FJR all of the time. The speed on straight roads would creep up on me and and I was soon in the "lose your license bracket".

LOL in 2003 I was 53 and bought the bike I thought would take me to my retirement. Even told my wife it was my last bike purchase. I think that was 8 or 10 bikes ago. I will be 72 in May and still not sure if my last purchase will indeed be my last purchase.
I don’t quite understand this bike that would take you into retirement concept, but in any case, retirement is when bike ownership explodes. You have the time to tinker and much more time to ride, and possibly have more spending money than you had while you were raising a family and paying for the house, college expenses, etc.

Exactly why I used the CC on the FJR all of the time. The speed on straight roads would creep up on me and and I was soon in the "lose your license bracket".
Mine was an 07 with no CC, I was always creeping up with speed. From the rider’s perspective there was no noticeable difference between 60 and 90, bike just loafed along. Figured I’d either lose my license or crash out (or both) if I stayed on it any longer. My “perfect“ bike would have about 75 horses, shaft drive, decent weather protection, tubeless tires, and an ADV/standard riding position and weigh 450 or so. If anybody builds one I’ll buy it

Mine was an 07 with no CC, I was always creeping up with speed. From the rider’s perspective there was no noticeable difference between 60 and 90, bike just loafed along. Figured I’d either lose my license or crash out (or both) if I stayed on it any longer. My “perfect“ bike would have about 75 horses, shaft drive, decent weather protection, tubeless tires, and an ADV/standard riding position and weigh 450 or so. If anybody builds one I’ll buy it
You may want to look at the new Triumph Tiger 660. It is not shaft drive but seems to tick the other boxes.

Ferret, Oldbear, 670cc are we not suppose to be down sizing as we get older? I know motorcycles shouldn't count but they do. I was so self absorbed in the 80's that everything I had went into bikes. Be it working at a Honda dealership spending most of my money on parts, trips,good times and for the most part I survived. At the same time all the older guys would tell me about how a 650 twin will do anything you need a bike to do. Of course I knew it all and had every reason why they were wrong. One of the best parts of having this NC now is it has allowed me to have a second chance to experience motorcycles. Less is more nowadays but I still want more just happy to have this bike now. Ride In Peace brothers as apposed to R.I.P.

Way back when the 650 WAS the “big bike” (unless you rode a slow and heavy old Harley) and 50-55 hp was plenty. Now a 50 horse bike is a “beginner bike” ‘cause real motorcyclists have to have at least 100 hp. I’m truly enjoying my little bike as much as I did the hp monsters. Once in a while when I’m merging on the slab or doing a pass on a two lane I’d like a tad more go, but 95% of the time the available power is fine.

Mickey,

I would be surprised if the 750 does not change up at the same rpm in all auto modes when accelerating with the throttle held wide open, which is right before what would be the rev limiter kicking in. The 700X is like this in both D and S modes. Whack the gas open and hold it open and it shifts at the 700's red line of 6500 rpm in at least the first 3 or 4 gears no matter which auto mode is selected. When you need maximum acceleration you get it no matter what mode.

Of course the "sportier" the auto mode that is selected, the higher the upshift and downshift points are at less than WOT.
ok it warmed up to 25 lol, so on this morning's ride, I saw in STANDARD MODE just riding it shifted at about 3000 rpms. At WOT in STANDARD MODE it shifts at about 5000 rpms and in SPORT MODE at WOT it shifts about 6000 rpms. I'm thinking to get to redline you'd have to be in manual mode.

Back