• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

The AT also has tube tires. I dunno if y’all have ever tried to patch a tube on a “modern” bike, but the one’s I’ve fooled with are NOT easy. The tries are for the most part “tubeless” (with tubes) mounted of typical “safety” type rims. As a result the old tire spoon tricks do NOT work well or at all. I had a new Bonnieville a few years ago with “tube” tires. Pick up a screw in the rear tire at 189 miles. No way in this world I could break the bead to do a roadside repair. That’s a dealbreaker for me. I’m typically riding alone in very rural areas. The ability to make emergency roadside tire repairs is the difference between a fee minute delay and being “stuck” for a protracted period. The latter is not an option. I’ll never again own any new bike with tube tires. (Just an aside, a Yamaha Super Tenere has tubeless tires and spoke wheels, so it “can” be done)
Africa Twin can be had with tubeless tires. See quote from Honda site below.

"And best of all, there are four different Africa Twins to choose from. Our standard Africa Twin is a great choice for serious off-road enthusiasts. For long-distance adventure touring, check out our two Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES models: They offer special features like electronically controlled suspension, an adjustable windscreen, larger fuel tank, heated grips, tubeless tires, and more. Plus, both are available with either a manual transmission or Honda’s automatic DCT transmission, one of the best technical-riding advantages ever."

Africa Twin can be had with tubeless tires. See quote from Honda site below.

"And best of all, there are four different Africa Twins to choose from. Our standard Africa Twin is a great choice for serious off-road enthusiasts. For long-distance adventure touring, check out our two Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES models: They offer special features like electronically controlled suspension, an adjustable windscreen, larger fuel tank, heated grips, tubeless tires, and more. Plus, both are available with either a manual transmission or Honda’s automatic DCT transmission, one of the best technical-riding advantages ever."
That’s a big improvement imho. i used to be able to pull a tube,patch, reinstall and be on my way in 1/2 hour. When the Bonnie had a flat I was Stuck! Buddy who owns a shop finally came and got me. Hauled it to the shop and his guys had a heck of a time even with a tire machine☹️

That’s a big improvement imho. i used to be able to pull a tube,patch, reinstall and be on my way in 1/2 hour. When the Bonnie had a flat I was Stuck! Buddy who owns a shop finally came and got me. Hauled it to the shop and his guys had a heck of a time even with a tire machine☹️
Tube tires on the AT would be reason for me not to buy one. I have tubes on my CRF250 Rally and one bike with tube headaches is enough for me.

The AT also has tube tires. I dunno if y’all have ever tried to patch a tube on a “modern” bike, but the one’s I’ve fooled with are NOT easy. The tries are for the most part “tubeless” (with tubes) mounted of typical “safety” type rims. As a result the old tire spoon tricks do NOT work well or at all. I had a new Bonnieville a few years ago with “tube” tires. Pick up a screw in the rear tire at 189 miles. No way in this world I could break the bead to do a roadside repair. That’s a dealbreaker for me. I’m typically riding alone in very rural areas. The ability to make emergency roadside tire repairs is the difference between a fee minute delay and being “stuck” for a protracted period. The latter is not an option. I’ll never again own any new bike with tube tires. (Just an aside, a Yamaha Super Tenere has tubeless tires and spoke wheels, so it “can” be done)
The new Adventure Sports Africa Twin has tubeless wheels :cool:

Edit, didn't see other's posts about this.

Dave,

What other model has tubeless wheels than the Adventure Sports? I thought there was just a base model, which still has tube wheels, and the Adventure Sports model that has tubeless wheels?

The new Adventure Sports Africa Twin has tubeless wheels :cool:

Edit, didn't see other's posts about this.

Dave,

What other model has tubeless wheels than the Adventure Sports? I thought there was just a base model, which still has tube wheels, and the Adventure Sports model that has tubeless wheels?
Honda considers the AT ES DCT and AT ES Manual as two different models.

Well I'm 71, so I guess I'm an older guy?. My first street bike at 15 in 1965 was a 50cc 2 stroke Italian Aermacchi badged by HD called an M-50. It had a whopping 3.5 HP, and ran 45-50 mph wife open, so in comparison the NC 750X is a rocket. But over the years and 32 motorcycles that followed, the bikes got more powerful, and my last was a 2018 Yamaha FJR with 145 hp. Compared to that, the NC 750X is a slug.

Like I've said it's doing everything I want it to do so far, but I do miss the limitless torque and hp of the liter plus I4's. Whoever said riding a slow bike fast is more fun .... has never ridden a big bike fast.

I can tell you this, if Honda brings out a low 500 pound DCT type bike with 85-100 hp and 65-75 ft lb torque, cruise control, ABS, TC, heated grips etc in a bike with a seat height similar to the 2021 NC 750X, I'm afraid my 2021 750X would be traded in or up for sale here, post haste.

I like my NC 750X, but I'd like it more if it had more, if you get my drift
Honda came close with the VFR800X Crossrunner. I have wished several times it was for sale here in the USA. 530lbs wet, 100hp, style and feel just like the NC750X. I have never seen if it was offered with a DCT, but I guess it's all moot now, since it was dropped from all Honda lines in 2021.

talking of bigger bike why not try out the crosstour the 1200cc and DCT but heavy beast.
Honda can't please every body.
want a bigger bike well buy one then.
folks whinged its not powerful enough? then why did you buy it then.

I have to admit that I have a bit of apprehension concerning the power of my soon to acquire NC 750. By way of explanation I have ridden liter bikes pretty exclusively since 1977, except for 3 bikes, a 2000 750 Nighthawk, a 2003 Triumph Bonneville 863 and a CB 500x all of which I felt were underpowered and under braked, particularly the CB 500x, but my needs have changed lately and I'm hoping the NC has enough power and brakes to satisfy my current needs.
My old CB500X felt quicker than my current NC750X.

I expected to be underwhelmed by power when I got mine. I knew the previous bikes had twice as much power so I didn't expect to get that acceleration rush I loved so much. What my worry was that I couldn't accelerate enough to get hole shots at lights and freeway onramps and not be able to cruise at the high speeds needed on superhighways out here in CA. But my fears were put aside on my first ride home when I learned that there is absolutely no issue pulling away from any light, where I can easily blast away from cars. I can easily cruise at 80+ as well, which I do every single time I commute to work. This is why I don't get the crazy high gas mileage that others do, so I'm closer to 58 mpg. I don't get the rush of acceleration that my FJR or Tiger did, but I'm still riding and I'm going fast enough. If I was 30 or 40 something, this absolutely would not work for me. But I'm pushing 60 and the bike feels just fine. I wish I had a few more HP and I really do like the new Tiger 900s, but I also like the other things the NC offers and I'm not feeling like I'm ready to sell just yet. As I grow older, I think the bike will feel like a better fit for me anyway.

I ride my NC750X hard enough that the stock rear tire (2020 model) lasted less than 2000 miles. I have an app that tracks all my rides, and surprisingly I ride at the highest average speed on my NC. My other two bikes weigh 300 pounds more and have more than twice the power of the NC. The DCT NC is just so well balanced and easy to ride that I just naturally go a little faster.

My NC is the slowest bike I’ve owned since 1972 when I traded my 500 Suzuki Titan (48 horse) for my 750 H2 Kawasaki (74 horse). With that said I traveled all over the place on those old 2 strokes, and in fact owned Two of the 500 Suzuki’s (first ont totally by a car running a stop sign). They were one of my all time favorite motorcycles are carried two up with luggage everywhere, including LONG cross country tours. The NC is a great light tourer. Does everything well (not the best at anything, but “good” at pretty much anything). Frankly if the DCT “D mode” was the only option I’d have not bought one. In “Sport 3” or “M” it’s a fun little bike

if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) .... without being in manual mode on the DCT equipped NC's, you will never feel the true potential horsepower of the NC, because there is no auto mode where will it hit peak hp revs of 6300 rpms. It will always shift before that. However, you will feel peak torque which comes in at 4400 rpms.

if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) .... without being in manual mode on the DCT equipped NC's, you will never feel the true potential horsepower of the NC, because there is no auto mode where will it hit peak hp revs of 6300 rpms. It will always shift before that. However, you will feel peak torque which comes in at 4400 rpms.
You make a good point. Question: during acceleration in manual mode on the 750 DCT, at what RPM will the transmission automatically upshift to protect the engine, or does it not upshift and instead just let the engine hit the rev limiter? I can’t recall from my test rides experiences how it behaves.

I can't say because honestly, I have only ridden maybe 8 miles in manual mode and I shift way before 6000 rpms. Maybe someone who rides in manual mode a lot and more aggressively than I can answer that question.

Back