• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

If everyone understood this I think the NC would sell much better. Instead too many folks try to compare this to a 100+ hp sport bike and walk away disappointed.
Well they might not sell anymore, but if buyers understood that, maybe they wouldn't be disappointed after buying one.

I'm 2 days in on a 2021 DCT. I read/watched many reviews and tempered my expectations about power. I'm coming from bikes making about 130 hp for the last 15+ years. I think I am not surprised by the power I have and I feel it is adequate. My other bikes had power that was much more than adequate. Exhilarating is a better word. The NC's power is not exhilarating, but it is ok for the type of riding I do, mostly commuting on LA freeways, where many of the cars come to a stop and we motorcyclists do not. Great for filtering. Cruises at 75 easily. It's fine.

Overall, so far I am enjoying the bike, but I must say I'm disappointed about the front suspension. Wow is it harsh on even the smallest of potholes at speed. I'm a bit heavy, deuce and a half, so that factors in I'm sure. On my last bike, a 2017 Tiger 1200, I never even had to look down and could ride right over any road irregularity. On the NC, I need to really watch the road surface at least enough to prepare myself for the shock as a few times it has really startled me, especially if I'm looking over my shoulder making a lane change at the time.

So, I'm on the lookout for an upgrade for the front forks hoping we can dampen that effect a little bit. If not, or if after some breaking in it doesn't get better (or I don't adapt), this shiny new bike will be up for sale and I might be looking at a Tiger 660. I hope it doesn't come to that because I really want to like this bike.

One other thing. I hear the older bikes had very uncomfortable seats and the 2021 seat is much improved. I can't imagine how bad the older ones are if this is an improvement. It's not horrible but definitely not great. I might be looking for an aftermarket seat as well.
The NC suspension was delivered to a budget for sure. I’m light at 150 lbs and a set of cartridge emulators and a change to a lighter fork oil makes a huge difference in the forks. A heavier rider needs to add stiffer springs to the emulators but for less than $400 the forks can be made much better.

Like I said in my post, the power is in line with my expectations. However, there's no excuse for a shitty seat. But I am not bothered that much by the seat as many stock seats are not great and that's why so many are available in aftermarket. The front forks are just not good at all. By the way, in the USA, this is a $12K motorcycle out the door. MSRP is $9,300. We could do with some better front forks in that range. Cartridges would cost $500 more, not thousands. I don't believe anyone with any riding experience at all thinks this is a serious sport bike.
$12,000? I paid retail plus frt & set up, and title fees = $9578 + $670.00 in state taxes. Total $10,278

By the way, in the USA, this is a $12K motorcycle out the door. MSRP is $9,300.
How times have changed, with you saying this is a now a $12K motorcycle. Back in 2012, USA Honda Powerhouse dealers were selling the 2012 manual version for $6399 plus tax, title, and license. No freight, no setup cost.

There's always that useful buying tool called the test ride.
A lot of dealers in this area dont allow test rides. Plus with no inventory on the floor and waiting lists for bikes coming in, getting a test ride on a new bike can be virtually impossible. I've bought my last 4 new bikes without the benefit of test rides.

So I feel pretty lucky that I stumbled into my NC750X. I retired January 2020 and got the itch to return to motorcycling. I had not been on a bike in 35 years. As a total impulse buyer I walked into a Honda dealership in March looked at a couple bikes sat on a brand new 2014 NC750XS liked the feel of it talked to the sales girl and paid the sticker price 7199.00 Canadian plus tax. Walked over picked a helmet and a jacket and that was it. No research, no test ride, didn’t even start it up. I really had no idea of what I had just purchased. Came back with an enclosed bike trailer in a snowstorm and took it home. The first time I fired it up was in my garage. I must admit that I had bought it because it was brand new, a Honda and could not believe the price. Looking back now I had hit the jackpot. It now has 12,000 km on it and I find it fits me perfectly. A very few farkles I now understand what I have. As for the power issue it has plenty for me!!! Beautiful 8DB5FBB6-BC4E-48AE-AF64-1EF13F40A81A.jpeg8DB5FBB6-BC4E-48AE-AF64-1EF13F40A81A.jpeg

You found a brand new 2014 750 in a dealership in 2020? That cant be right. A 2014 would have been a 700 wouldn't it? Maybe a 2018?

You found a brand new 2014 750 in a dealership in 2020? That cant be right. A 2014 would have been a 700 wouldn't it?
I’m in Canada so it is a 750. Also I was back in the dealership last week and they have another NC750XS brand new. Exact same price $7199 as of August 2021.

They only have the three motorcycles left at the dealership due to Covid. CB 300, Goldwing and the NC 750. The NC is not very popular in my area.

You found a brand new 2014 750 in a dealership in 2020? That cant be right. A 2014 would have been a 700 wouldn't it? Maybe a 2018?
The bike in the photo has 2012-2015 vintage bodywork. The decal says NC750X. Remember that outside the US, the 750 was introduced earlier than in the US. Also note that it has ABS and it has a manual transmission, something not sold in the US until 2021.CAB19EED-02BE-4E7D-BB18-3D88BC36BF7B.jpegCAB19EED-02BE-4E7D-BB18-3D88BC36BF7B.jpeg

The 2021s have the Dual Bending Forks which are supposedly superior to the old forks, but I too find them harsh. I find the rear suspension harsh too, but it does corner well, without running wide, and transitions side to side easily.

The seat for me is neither great nor awful. I can live with it.

As for power I am just about 3000 miles in on my 2021, and coming from an FJR, and an ST 1300 before that, I still feel the power of the NC is adequate, but nothing more. There certainly aren't a gob of ponies waiting in reserve waiting to be unleashed lol. The upside to that is the great gas mileage, and what should translate into low tire and chain wear.

It's not a sport bike, it's a budget commuter. Better suspension, seat and power can be had with a different bike, but would cost thousands more.
I can't wait for someone to open up a 2021's front fork. The parts diagram for the shows the "pipe seat" or to look identical to NC forks back to 2012. The part number is slightly different.

The NC suspension was delivered to a budget for sure. I’m light at 150 lbs and a set of cartridge emulators and a change to a lighter fork oil makes a huge difference in the forks. A heavier rider needs to add stiffer springs to the emulators but for less than $400 the forks can be made much better.
Thanks for this. Can I ask where you have seen the emulators on sale?

Last edited:
$12,000? I paid retail plus frt & set up, and title fees = $9578 + $670.00 in state taxes. Total $10,278
I exaggerated a bit. Mine was $8,999 ($300 below MSRP sale) + $400 destination + $987 dealership markup + $229 license + $916 sales tax + $33 other tax = $11,650. I was quoted over $12K by other dealers so this was the best deal I could find. I'm in Kalifornia, so that's part of the problem.

Sorry to all for straying off-topic. This was supposed to be a thread about power and I unintentionally hijacked it to talk about suspension. Again, I'm actually ok with the power. It meets or maybe slightly exceeds my expectations, which I did carefully set. In California, no dealer lets you test ride a bike if they don't have a demo unit. Very popular bikes usually have demo units to ride. Today, dealer showrooms are nearly empty and the NC750X is not so popular in the USA so I had to guess right. I've watched many reviews and I think I had it pegged as far as power goes. I was only taken aback by the suspension harshness. I have never heard anyone testify about that so it was unexpected. I guess while I was on a rant, I added the seat trash talk too. I will do better about sticking to the topic in the future. And, I am going to stick with this bike and try my hardest to make it work because it was really made for someone like me (city commuter and occasional medium distance tourer). I mean, money doesn't grow on trees so I'm highly motivated to make it work and don't want to throw away the extra couple thousand I laid out to buy it on a trade for another bike.

I traded a FJR for my '21 NC750XA. The power difference is huge, yet it really isn't when you think about riding style. I am not a street racer so I really don't need or use all of the available power on the FJR. I got lazy with the FJR because being in the 'right' gear was not so important due to the torque available.

The NC does just fine and knowing I do not have excess power available makes me think harder about making safe passes on two-lane roads. The lighter NC reduces the risk of running wide in corners. I have no complaints about the power and I knew going in there was going to be a reduction. I am happily surprised with the way the NC makes power.

I do have a couple of complaints about comfort, but that is for another thread.;)

Back