• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

ok it warmed up to 25 lol, so on this morning's ride, I saw in STANDARD MODE just riding it shifted at about 3000 rpms. At WOT in STANDARD MODE it shifts at about 5000 rpms and in SPORT MODE at WOT it shifts about 6000 rpms. I'm thinking to get to redline you'd have to be in manual mode.
Well I'm surprised. Honda has done some DCT shifting updates after the 2015 models. It was 37 here this morning - the coldest I've ridden in for a while.

Having just gotten back from a 540 mile trip on our new 2021 NC750 manual, and having had many bikes and many "fast" bikes, I will add that I found the NC perfectly capable at all speeds. I cruised all day at 80mp and it was smooth. My MPG was only about 50 at that speed. I got more like 56 mpg if I slowed to 70. It's not a Connie or an S1000xr and makes no pretense to be so. My wife will love this bike for how smooth and capable it is. I totally get why people love it so much.

You make a good point. Question: during acceleration in manual mode on the 750 DCT, at what RPM will the transmission automatically upshift to protect the engine, or does it not upshift and instead just let the engine hit the rev limiter? I can’t recall from my test rides experiences how it behaves.
Neither of mine, 2013 and 2016 700's, shift up on their own in manual mode. It will bang off the rev limiter. The only time it shifts in manual mode is slowing down to a stop. Sometimes I forget I am in manual mode on the street and it won't downshift when slowing to a stop until you get really slow. But when I go to leave the red light, stop sign, etc. I will be in 1st gear again after having not manually geared down from 6th at all. Track bike, the 2013, gets ridden solely in manual mode and I hit the 6,300 rpm rev limiter often, mistakenly, between shifts.
if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) .... without being in manual mode on the DCT equipped NC's, you will never feel the true potential horsepower of the NC, because there is no auto mode where will it hit peak hp revs of 6300 rpms. It will always shift before that. However, you will feel peak torque which comes in at 4400 rpms.
Not sure how the 2021 shift algorithms are, but both my 700's will come awfully close to the 6,300 redline in Sport mode if held at wide open throttle. I don't suppose the point at which they shift just before the redline is significant enough of a horsepower difference from that of peak horsepower measured at 6,250 rpms to even note, though. Technically, on paper, you may be right, but I don't feel like you're missing much not hitting peak rpm for peak horsepower.

However, something needs clarified. Is the peak rpm for horsepower on the 750, more notably the 2021 model, still the same ole 6,250 rpm like on the 700 models? I know when they moved to the 750, they upped the rev limiter from 6,300 rpm to, I believe, 7,500 rpm. I would imagine this would still be the same for the 2021 model too, correct? If so, I see no reason why the shift algorithm for sport mode wouldn't carry you at least to, or beyond, the 6,250 rpm mark, if that's indeed where peak horsepower is still found on both generations of the 750X.

Edited: I just found the info below. Looks like the 2021 peak hp and tq are at higher numbers than you had listed.

• Displacement: 745cc
  • Bore and stroke: 77 x 80mm
  • Maximum power: 58 horsepower @ 6750 rpm
  • Maximum torque: 51 ft-lbs @ 4750 rpm

Last edited:
Yeah, as I suspected. I would NEVER see the 6750 rpms horsepower peak without being in manual mode. I could see 4750 rpms torque peak at WOT in std, sport or user mode (the way I have user mode set up).

Back