• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

nc750x EBC HH front pads replacement question

steveeeg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello
Just replaced my original Honda oem front brake pads with some new EBC HH pads

I was not sure if I needed to remove the metal retainer shim on the oem front brake pad and move onto the EBC pad ( only one brake pad has the metal retainer shim on) ? or does the EBC pads not need one ?

thanks Steve

Hello
Just replaced my original Honda oem front brake pads with some new EBC HH pads

I was not sure if I needed to remove the metal retainer shim on the oem front brake pad and move onto the EBC pad ( only one brake pad has the metal retainer shim on) ? or does the EBC pads not need one ?

thanks Steve
I kept mine, but it's not necessary

It would seem the EBC pads are 0.8mm thicker each than the nissin oem pads

cheers Steve

Attachments

• ebc.PNG
    ebc.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 16
  • nissin.png
    nissin.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 16
I emailed EBC direct about if need to fit shim :-

Reply from EBC

Hi Steve,

Unless stated on the packaging, none of our pads need the OE shim in place.

As for the FA196HH, the OE shim is not needed.

Kind regards
Gareth Preston
Technical Advisor Motorcycle

That's good to know. I have used EBC HH pads on everything and have been quite pleased with their bite and stopping power after a usually noisy break in period. never knew about the factory shim elimination. One thing I have found to be beneficial is to clean the slider pins and apply a thin layer of the proper grease as the pads need to move and re-position on the pins as the pads wear.

I realize this is old, but I’ll mention it anyway:
The shims are for noise reduction. Most all new cars, and at least many new motorcycles, have them on from the factory. Often, though, they are discarded when the pads are replaced. Even dealers frequently toss them. If you’re happy with the noise from your brakes without them, you’re fine. Most people, IMO/E, won’t notice the difference with at least many aftermarket pads.

Back