• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

nc750x as touring bike

W

wildeone

Just returned from 1600 km (~1000 miles) touring trip to Baltic Sea with pillion and I can say mostly good things.
My wife had not real complains about the seat despite of initial impressions when she hated it. Nevertheless we both
agreed we could stand nc750x seat for not more then 350 km (~220 miles) in one shot, later on it starting to be unpleasant.
As far as the bike performance goes like I said before - with pillion and luggage (2x givi trekkers) there is not enough power
for starting from stand still, especially uphill. Fortunately most of that trip was flat, I would be really concerned if we were to go
up to the mountains...And we plan to do so, Austrian Alps trip in Autumn. Other things that could be improved on this bike are
the handlebars which are too low and overall the whole bike could be a little bit taller with lower footpegs. The knee angle is too small
for my height 6.1' (185cm). I have to check how I did on fuel and will report back but looks like I could get over 400km (~250 miles)
from full tank which is pretty good.

One interesting thing that happened along the way was I have managed to put incorrectly second gear during quick maneuver on the intersection,
something like can happen on your car with manual transmission when you don't put a gear completely in with some grinding noise...
I didn't know it is possible on motorcycle, is it? that reminded me nc750x has a car engine after all :)

View attachment 25250

View attachment 25251

p.s.
One more observation - I have noticed that vibration on this bike is noticeable on longer trips which was main reason I was tired earlier the I should. Definitely a minus.
There were moments I felt tingling on my feet from footpegs...That's why I think the triple or even the four cylinder engine would be most suited for longer touring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not have picked the bike for two up riding. 50-60 horsepower will get you around but not as nicely as a liter+ bike will. My better half rides her own bike which is nice for safety. Two bikes together seems to be more visible.

I agree with you on the ergonomics.

Looks like you had a good time together which makes it all good.

I would not have picked the bike for two up riding. 50-60 horsepower will get you around but not as nicely as a liter+ bike will.

I hear you, that's why I will be ordering the new crf1000 soon I hope :)

Haven't we covered this topic already?

after I tested drove v-strom 650 today the answer is definitely no - nc700/750 is not a touring bike.

I have pretty much decided I'd keep my nc750x as a commuter, shopping, supermoto, light touring bike
while I am about to buy new F800GS, xt660z tenere or new Africa Twin exclusively for off-road and enduro expedition.
Honda as a general purpose bike is just hard to beat with its frunk and torquey engine which will last
probably forever. On the other hand whisking around the city on enduro bike makes no sense.
I wish ncx had better suspension and spoked wheels, I could have then only one, do it all bike.
It's sad suzuki in v-strom managed to put acceptable suspension and honda couldn't.

Last edited:
Haven't we covered this topic already?

I thought I would repeat this so you'd remember :p the nc700x or nc750x are no not the perfect touring bikes,
actually far from it. You can do it but...what for.

Dear wildeone,

Thank you for opening this thread.

I'm riding a 125cc scooter at this moment with only 15HP in an mountainous area. Every time I go uphill, speed drops to about 50km per hour, which I find annoying and dangerous (as cars pass me flying with much higher speeds).

I expect that in 3/4 months I'll have my motorbike licence A2 (europe) with which I can ride a bike untill more or less 50 HP. I'm thinking about the NC750x.

I have a questions regarding what you've said. Do you mean, that when riding with 2 persons (+ luggage) on the NC750x uphill, you don't have enough power to accelerate? I'm not looking for speeds of 140 km p/h uphill, but I would like my next bike to accelerate from lets say 50 km p/h to 90 km/h when going uphil.

Thank you in advance for you answer. Kind regards,
Edwin

Dear wildeone,

Thank you for opening this thread.

I'm riding a 125cc scooter at this moment with only 15HP in an mountainous area. Every time I go uphill, speed drops to about 50km per hour, which I find annoying and dangerous (as cars pass me flying with much higher speeds).

I expect that in 3/4 months I'll have my motorbike licence A2 (europe) with which I can ride a bike untill more or less 50 HP. I'm thinking about the NC750x.

I have a questions regarding what you've said. Do you mean, that when riding with 2 persons (+ luggage) on the NC750x uphill, you don't have enough power to accelerate? I'm not looking for speeds of 140 km p/h uphill, but I would like my next bike to accelerate from lets say 50 km p/h to 90 km/h when going uphil.

Thank you in advance for you answer. Kind regards,
Edwin

Hi Edwin,
no, it's not that bad as on your scooter :) I just felt the weight while moving from stop on very light hills but once you on the move it's going pretty fast. Bare in mind though my girlfriend is pretty slim, around 60kg as I remember. Givi trekkers both maybe 40 kg plus me...110kg naked :cool: I haven't ridden this bike to be honest in that setup (pillion +heavy luggage) in the real mountains yet and that what I am afraid a little bit. You'll have to rev it pretty hard I guess. Again it's not very aggravating but I would feel better for safety reason to have more reserve in power. Torque is very good though, no problem with low speed crawling.

p.s.
overall it's a very good, versatile bike so you won't regret it
and think it's good choice coming from the scooter.
But, remember that it's really heavy so GYM is recommended ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildeone -try the Yamaha Super Tenere....I love mine.

1200cc with the same 270 degree firing as the NC. It's twin cylinder torque monster.
I did 1,215 miles on mine last month in 22 hours. Ergos is great for tall peeps.

Edwin - you will love the NC! I went from a suzuki Burgman 400 scooter to the NC. What a difference!

Wildeone -try the Yamaha Super Tenere....I love mine.

1200cc with the same 270 degree firing as the NC. It's twin cylinder torque monster.
I did 1,215 miles on mine last month in 22 hours. Ergos is great for tall peeps.

I know ST is very good bike but unfortunately too heavy for me, as I end up too often on some dirt road :)
have you dropped yours already?

Back