• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

nc750x as a dirt bike

After so many drops off road I think ncx bikes are very durable.
Nothing bent, no plastic parts broke, mirrors as new. Givi crash bars
do their jobs fine but the bike itself is quite tough.

View attachment 25762

that was my plan to get crf250l as well but new view of AT to be released soon holds me back yet.

Have a look at the KLX250. I picked on up at with low miles for a very decent price. Stock the bike has around 18hp but when you uncorked them your up near 26hp. If never had a bike the response so well to modifications.

I looked at the XR650L but decided against it. The short interval between oil changes and lots of reports of broken rear subframe when loaded with gear turned me off. Instead I went with a 2 bike solution and got a CRF250L for playing in the harder stuff and keep the NC as my general purpose and adventure riding bike. I do agree that the NC is geared more to the street among the adventure bikes but so far I haven't ran into anything they could do that I couldn't do at a slower pace. The NC also has its advantages with being lighter than most and lower center of gravity. I think the engine is a big advantage. I don' use the clutch near as much as the other guys since the NC will plod along at an idle and I can just grab a handful of gas when needed. I can pick my way through stuff at a speed the other guys have trouble at. Kind of funny cause I'm having to learn better clutch control with the CRF.

Perhaps if you got a good used one of these and fettled it, you would have a good "go anywhere" bike.......

P1030321.jpg

What is that Griff?

As mentioned above, an "NX" on your side. I was recently asked to name my price for this one by a Polish motorcyclist who is well used to world travel. His point. They are robust, simple, carbureted, easy to fix if broken etc etc. Mine is the original 89 model introduced to Europe. Unless I drop it and damage it badly enough it will never see that use. It is currently used for Classic events .

why on earth this did not sell well??? I would have three of them, each in different color.

The U.S. At the time had XR and XL bikes in the same sizes and several other sizes. Guess the they did not want body work or low front fender. The XR also had better upgraded suspension.

Don't remember but suspect the NX was more expensive.........

Last edited:
That being the standard anything with two wheels qualifies. It is a stretch to say it is an adventure bike. Dirt bike? It is legal to smoke that here in Colorado.

I proved to myself that the NC can be used as a full on ADVbike.over 3,000 miles of dirt roads,trails ,some single track but mostly 2 track.Was it the best choice ??HELL NO,did it do what I asked it to do ??HELL YES !!.
912ffac36ce40d225be88e042e1a86c3.jpg

536aefeea4105f7cc2d5f346087095b9.jpg

095fd0bed6a9b84d3bb5a36152da4c85.jpg

4aeb10b025942b870edc33409ab3fc9b.jpg

6f3d2cbbaafa78461507965e0ecb3131.jpg

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

That being the standard anything with two wheels qualifies. It is a stretch to say it is an adventure bike. Dirt bike? It is legal to smoke that here in Colorado.

you should know by now that marketing classification of bikes has no real world meaning. Adventure bike is a bike which you take for an adventure, that's it :)
NC is lacking some attributes but the most important part, the heart is excellent for that purpose.

View attachment 25890

After riding dirt bikes for over 45 years, I have a different idea of what a dirt bike is. I am not saying you can't ride the nc in the dirt. In my mind it doesn't qualify. But let everyone be happy with their own definition. I matters little to me other than what the title of the thread suggests. It is my opinion. You are entitled to your opinion as well. Certain substances can make the nc more appealing as a dirt bike. I haven't touched those since 1975.

Last edited:
After riding dirt bikes for over 45 years, I have a different idea of what a dirt bike is.

^What he said^ One could probably find a picture of a Gold Wing laying on its side on a dirt road.

This was my dirt bike. Husky TE610. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it taking a dirt nap. I sold it because my old frame couldn't take the abuse...

IMG_20120123_145403.jpg

I sold it because my old frame couldn't take the abuse...

that's the problem with aluminum :p

Well, all come to preferences, personal abilities an strength, If somebody can handle Gold Wing on dirt then it is his dirt bike.
NC of course has its shortcomings for the task that's why soon Africa Twin will take its place for dirt use.
I am relatively big guy so bike cannot weigh same as me :cool:

that's the problem with aluminum :p

my old frame is not aluminum. It is flesh and bones.

Well, all come to preferences, personal abilities an strength, If somebody can handle Gold Wing on dirt then it is his dirt bike.
NC of course has its shortcomings for the task that's why soon Africa Twin will take its place for dirt use.

Well, I don't consider an Africa Twin to be a dirt bike either, so I guess we are into semantics. I can call my dog a cat. These terms are used to facilitate conversation. If any word can represent any thing, then it becomes confusing. I guess it is the new "normal" for this modern age. I am so old that I remember when you knew what a boy or a girl was without hearing what they considered themselves to be. Now days, if a Gold Wing considers itself to be a dirt bike, then so it is. I get it.

As Bill Clinton would say "It depends on what "is" is."

Back