• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

nc750x as a dirt bike

W

wildeone

well, kinda of :) After my trip to Morocco I started really pushing this bike hard off-road
and to be honest I can do almost everything. Got to take some pictures here.
With tck80 tyres I can ride sand, gravel, meadows, woods, bumps and mud no problems.
When you plan your track even the not so big ground clearance is not a problem.
Also the wider front tyre then typical dirt bike allows better traction on sand.
Love this bike, really Swiss Army Knife!

Not even close to what a true DS or dirt bike can do. Like taking a knife to a gun fight but a knife is better than nothing at all.

well, the only thing I can think of I cannot do are higher jumps :) and riding very fast off road because of short suspension travel.
If that was fixed and I heard it's possible then who knows...
As I said earlier if that bike had spoked wheels and front at least 19" I would never sell it.

Get yourself a second true DS. You will be amazed where you can go with a 250-300 pound bike with good ground clearance and long travel suspension. Any bike can be made to go anywhere but it's just not practical. Limitations of the NC are the poor ground clearance, weight, wheels size and type. The NC is a very good all around bike. It's the SUV of the bike world. You wouldn't take your Honda CRV where the CJ's are playing.

Get yourself a second true DS. You will be amazed where you can go with a 250-300 pound bike with good ground clearance and long travel suspension. Any bike can be made to go anywhere but it's just not practical. Limitations of the NC are the poor ground clearance, weight, wheels size and type. The NC is a very good all around bike. It's the SUV of the bike world. You wouldn't take your Honda CRV where the CJ's are playing.

that's true too, I agree but I tend to get more satisfaction riding heavier bikes off-road, and I feel tired more quickly so it's better workout ;)

like below we can see heavy bikes can fly too

[video=youtube;JWIZfYQhgMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWIZfYQhgMc[/video]

I think the argument here is not necessarily whether or not the NC700X is a good "dual sport" bike but "WHAT IS DUAL SPORTING TO YOU?" If your definition of dual sporting is going out in 2 feet of mud, or riding in the desert, or trying to get max air...then I will 100% agree that the NC700X is not a very "good" dual sport bike. If your definition of dual sporting is driving over 20 miles to hit Forest Service Roads to then get off those Forest Service Roads and find trails and enjoy nature and the outdoors and get into some rough stuff here and there and to jump some of the bumps out there and cross some creeks and rivers and then get back on the road and ride comfortably home...then I must say the NC700X is a GREAT dual sport bike! I have a Honda CRF250L to do what people say is "REAL" dual sporting but the truth is, my NC700XD does GREAT dual sporting as well! It just a matter of which route I will be taking for the day and what mood I am in. Ride Safe & Have Fun!

If your definition of dual sporting is going out in 2 feet of mud, or riding in the desert, or trying to get max air...then I will 100% agree that the NC700X is not a very "good" dual sport bike.

but the point here is I ride with ncx mud and sand no problem, without max air though.
The only problem with heavy bikes besides different handling is if you drop it in 2 feet mud or sand you may have problem to pick it up without help.
Also there is much more risk of injury if you crash off-road in to the ditch or something like that.

here is another clip with heavy bike flying offroad

[video=youtube;yp8iA95oVkI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8iA95oVkI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

W
Hi, below some pics how I treat this bike :)
As I said it handles in sand very good, way better with these 17 inch tyres then dirt bikes with this front tyre.
They bury deep instantly while nc750x flies over the sand

View attachment 24577

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you trying to win the contest for the first NC owner to crack the lower crank case or crush the cat converter ? :eek:

Last edited:
Hi, below some pics how I treat this bike :)
As I said it handles in sand very good, way better with these 17 inch tyres then dirt bikes with this front tyre.
They bury deep instantly while nc750x flies over the sand :)

If it handles well in the sand, why did it fall over? :confused::)

I'm still trying to figure out if the low COG is good or bad for this man.

And if any hawk talons were involved.

I'm still trying to figure out if the low COG is good or bad for this man.

it's all good, thanks to low COG it crashes very slow. Most of the time I have time to jump off the bike before touch down.
In sand happens when front wheel dives to deep in sand sometimes.

BTW, how high is air inlet in this bike?
in case deeper water.

Air inlet is up by the top triple tree. I haven't studied the air box to see if there are any holes down lower than that. Sometimes air boxes have small drain holes down low. Also don't know the location of the computer. I have been assuming it is water tight. Keep in mind the frunk isn't water tight. I've had mine, briefly, in water up to the top of the front tire which is about as deep as I want to go.

I'm the limiting factor in water crossings, not any bike I've owned...:eek:

It usually doesn't matter how high the air intake is, if the water is above my knees by any significant amount, then the drag against forward motion and ability to keep going without undue fear of binning it, make it less and less of an enthusiastic process, and I get pretty nervous about continuing lol

Combined with unseen boulders and slippery moss potential etc., it all depends on how badly I need to get through, not so much want to, just for the fun of it. My "I'm having fun" meter drops quite a bit at the thought of a drowned bike off in the boonies, hee hee

To me the NC is a better dual-sport than people think because you can ride it to where the pavement ends. It never made sense to me to throw a 250-650cc dual sport in a truck or load it on a trailer to get to the dirt roads. I will happily give up off-road capability for on-pavement manners since most of my miles are still on pavement. I absolutely refuse to trailer a bike unless it is broken......you know.....the journey is the destination and all that.

A friend and I were discussing a trip to South America and he asked me which bike I'd choose for the trip. I told him the NC would be very hard to beat in my book. My Tenere would do it but its a heavy pig in mud and sand (not that the NC is light). I told him my only hesitation with the NC is the terrible seat and seat pan that doesn't lend itself to an easy fix (I know all of the mods, seats, etc available for the NC so don't go there), little suspension travel and a 17" front tire. I said a 500X with spoke wheels might be an even better option.

I wish Honda would use the NC platform and make a real mid-sized adventure bike......I also wish they would update the ST1300. They probably aren't going to do either of those.

ANY bike can be an adventure bike. Its all how you use them.
Mike

Back