• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750DCT Problem selecting Drive and Neutral

Axamax

Reaction score
Visit site
2019 NC750S DCT 4000 miles approx
Tonight as I left the supermarket it wouldn't select Drive. After a few attempts it went in.
It did the same when I went to park it. I tried DDNDN reset and it went into gear then wouldn't go into neutral unless I shut it off with the sidestand.
Any Ideas?

do you use the emergency kill switch to stop the engine without selecting Neutral first, then turning off the key? Seems I remember people that regularly did that ended up having an issue with their trans like you describe.

I think I hit it once recently. sometimes it get turned off by the sidestand. I'm contemplating disconnecting the battery and letting the computer reset.

I believe the owner's manual cautions you to always put the transmission into Neutral when stopping, and turn the bike off with the ign key.

It appears to have been the Kill Switch, might have hit accidentally last night and it wasn't quite fully on. It has a nice definite click OFF, but soft RUN position. Perhaps there is high resistance and the computer reads it wrong. We'll see how it goes, if necessary I might have to add an emergency bypass switch so I don't get stranded.

You shouldn't have to install an emergency bypass if you use Honda's recommended procedure. If you choose not to do that an emergency bypass might be a good idea.

Problem nearly killed me last night. Bike decided it wanted to cut out in the outside lane of Detling hill (In the busy period). Just about managed to get over to the narrow side. Gave the sidestand another tap and it was all systems go till I got home, where it played up again.
Switch is now bypassed.

Problem nearly killed me last night. Bike decided it wanted to cut out in the outside lane of Detling hill (In the busy period). Just about managed to get over to the narrow side. Gave the sidestand another tap and it was all systems go till I got home, where it played up again.
Switch is now bypassed.
With a bypassed sidestand switch, watch out for the first left hand turn of the day.

Switch is now bypassed.
Have you checked the sidestand springs? Maybe you should replace them?

With a bypassed sidestand switch, watch out for the first left hand turn of the day.

I'm ready for that. Won't be as bad as cutting out at 70mph in the fast lane.

Have you checked the sidestand springs? Maybe you should replace them?

The bike has only done 4,000 miles. If the springs were bad already I'd be very surprised.

I couldn’t figure this out. I’m a little slow on the uptake today. Side stand left down while underway.
The bike won't run with the bike in gear and the side down. If the side stand safety switch is bypassed the bike will run in gear with the side stand down and if the rider forgets to retract it it hits the ground when the bike is leaned to the left.

some of you might remember pre-side stand switch when Honda added a rubber finger to the sidestand (maybe late 70's) that was designed to kick the stand up out of the way in that first left hander to keep it from jacking the rear wheel off the ground.

The bike won't run with the bike in gear and the side down. If the side stand safety switch is bypassed the bike will run in gear with the side stand down and if the rider forgets to retract it it hits the ground when the bike is leaned to the left.
Yup. Thank you Dave. That is what I meant to say; I was slow on processing the fact that if you bypass the sidestand witch you'll probably forget to raise it sooner or later. I'll chalk it up to all of the pollen in the air!

Owners manual states selecting neutral before switching engine off with the ignition key.

Well,
Everyone's got their way of dealing with certain situations. I don't know if the OP's done any real close investigation or analysing of that switch in question. I mean, using say, a VOM meter to check for microswitch operation and anything like that. Maybe, it's possibly a bit dirty or something that maybe is possibly remedied by some spraying with brake-kleen or some sort of carb and choke cleaner etc. Or, maybe not. Maybe it's just plain defective and can't be cured by any means. Just trying to help figure this out, especially if I or anyone else may end up with the same scenario(s). Kick stand switches live in an ugly environment so, maybe it's a faulty wire/plug, who knows.
Scott

Switch is now bypassed.
If it were my bike, switch would get replaced ASAP.

Back