• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750 to replace NC700 in 2014

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
HONDA are expected to update the NC700 with an extra 50cc, pushing it out of the A2 category.
A larger capacity NC seems like an odd move on the face of it, as new riders won't be able to ride one, but Honda does have its reasons for the move. According to our well-trusted source, the NC700 sits as a slightly awkward sibling to Honda's new 'perfect for A2' range of 500s, making the sell of their 500 range not as simple as they'd hoped.
However the NC700 is actually 670cc, not 700cc, so the addition of 50cc would only make the bike 720cc. As to whether Honda will rename it NC750 or stick to NC700 is as yet unknown.
Honda's NC700 is selling well but the majority of buyers aren't A2 licence holders and are more likely to be seasoned riders, so the addition of 50cc for a bit more performance could be just what the 'likely' NC700 owner is after.
Those who were sat on the fence when it came to the CB500F and NC700S will have a clearer distinction between the two.
Expect to see the new NC750S and NC750X unveiled at the Intermot show in the last quarter of 2013.

Read more: NC750 to replace NC700 in 2014 - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

Well, I have some questions:

1. Will the 750 replace the 700 in every market? North America? USA?, etc.
2. Do people in countries other than the UK care about A2 license classifications?
3. That news item is from July 1st. Has there been any more recent information?
4. It says Honda is "expected" to update the 700. It also doesn't name or quote and sources, so it's really "a rumor that may be true" rather than "a news report that has been verified as truthful."

That is a trainer bike. My understanding, the lights on the front show the instructor what the student is doing....front brake, rear brake, clutch ,etc. It has a large hoop guard on the front and yep that looks like a guard to protect the muffler for when students drop it. I've seen pictures of bikes fitted with outriggers, so they can't fall over, for training purposes.
I've seen similar things for cars. Skid control cars that are modified so they can do front or rear slide at low speeds. Police trainer cars that are reinforced for teaching the pit maneuver. etc.

I would like to think that the new NC750 would at least produce another 10-12 bhp, with a red line closer to 7 thou revs. If the total power was around 60-2 bhp, with slightly better excelleration and a higher top end speed of around 115-120 mph, then imo it would be ideal for my needs.
But to get this increase in power out of an extra 50cc is probably asking a lot, unless the exhaust and ign e/box were modified to some extent.

I would like to think that the new NC750 would at least produce another 10-12 bhp, with a red line closer to 7 thou revs. If the total power was around 60-2 bhp, with slightly better excelleration and a higher top end speed of around 115-120 mph, then imo it would be ideal for my needs.
But to get this increase in power out of an extra 50cc is probably asking a lot, unless the exhaust and ign e/box were modified to some extent.

Not really that difficult if you consider the NT650 Deauville went from 650 to 680cc (NT700 Deauville). The power went up by 9BHP. At a guess I can see the new NC being around 58 to 60BHP, but we'll just have to wait and see. I don't think we will hear much until closer to the Milan show in November.

Testrode an XRV 750 (60HP) once, immediately changing from my NC and back to it. Although you can feel the Africa Twin is a bit more powerful, I still liked the NC engine better. I personally do not feel a need to upgrade, except if they make it considerably lighter. Which would not happen.

If it's being produced to fit under the A* license then it needs to be at least 595cc - already done, and over 53hp - so only need to go up a fraction.

The A1/A2/A/A* license is, I believe a european thing, rather than just a UK think, and while it's a pain to go through it, it keeps younger kids alive.

However, the NC700, either manual or automatic, is the almost perfect first big bike. However, if you're over 24 years old, it's too small to pass your test on, so the riding schools don't use them and they mostly use CBR's/Hornets/Bandits instead. Nudging the power band into thw A/A* license catorgary will likely see a LOT more NC700's sold in europe.

I would also suggest that they won't be doing anything radical to the engine itself - my guess is that it won't be a bored out engine, but a lengthened stroke as thats a much cheaper option for them to add capacity with, which would also lead to them not needing to shift the redline, as it will move the powerband further down the rev range.

That would work well for them, as it keeps costs down, increases market size, and would also stop journalists moaning about the redline, all by only having to change two pieces of metal - the con rods.

Steve

well then, I'd like to go the other way....

I'd like to see something around 500cc with the frunk and the SAME engine (only smaller). I'd rather by an NC500x than an NC750x...
I like the engine characteristics. LOW, Low RPM and redline, good MPG, great sport/cruiser. I have never come close to red lining my NC, and I never will.

...<snip>...
I would also suggest that they won't be doing anything radical to the engine itself - my guess is that it won't be a bored out engine, but a lengthened stroke as thats a much cheaper option for them to add capacity with, which would also lead to them not needing to shift the redline, as it will move the powerband further down the rev range.

That would work well for them, as it keeps costs down, increases market size, and would also stop journalists moaning about the redline, all by only having to change two pieces of metal - the con rods.

Steve
Whether they increase the bore or stroke it will be a modified cylinder casting so there is no price difference there really.
A larger bore only requires a new piston, perhaps a beefier rod and crank but it's unlikely to be a major mod for such a small difference in power.
A longer stroke would require a new crankshaft, new rods, and possibly a new crankcase.

A longer stroke would lower the RPM range.
The same stroke with a larger bore would have the same RPM range as the current model.
A shorter stroke would have a higher RPM range.

A longer stroke would make it even more diesel like. It would pull like a tractor but acceleration probably would not improve.
Shorter stroke might broaden the appeal a lot more for people that want a quicker bike esp when combined with a larger displacement, but I'm afraid gas mileage would suffer if they shorten it too much.
I'm betting on a larger bore and same stroke or larger bore with a tiny increase in stroke.

Not really that difficult if you consider the NT650 Deauville went from 650 to 680cc (NT700 Deauville). The power went up by 9BHP. At a guess I can see the new NC being around 58 to 60BHP, but we'll just have to wait and see. I don't think we will hear much until closer to the Milan show in November.

The NT also went from carb to EFI during that change, so it's not solely an effect from displacement increase.

The NC750, will not be coming to North America, any time soon.

Sorry USA and Canada

One thing i would like to see on the NC700X

VTEC cam, Hydraulic lifters

Back