NC700x for light adventure riding? Sure! Be ready to make a couple changes.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. The nc700x can be used for a little adventure riding. If little refers to "Mini me" and his exploits with Dr. Evil.

Is it a true adventure bike? People will argue both sides. It is a commuter bike that is so good, that it merits some dirt tires.

Ok, your dealer will argue that the body panels are a complete pain in the rear to work with. The bike is ugly to repair when you tear off a body panel. The bike is far from a naked bike. But the upside is... you wont burn yourself badly when you fall over. Wait! What?

Crash bars are kinda questionable. But some people will argue that the GIVI bars will take one heck of a hit. There are other brands. Some are quite strong.

Does it ever get hot? Can you burn yourself? Dirt bikes burn. So true. Take it from a guy who has holes in his old pants. Dirt bikes do burn when they are laying on top of you. But this is no dirt bike. It will not fly through the air like a KTM or take a nasty hit like the XR650L. Your buddies will out run you in the dirt. But you will get there. Eventually.

Now. How can you make this happen? The suspension totally sucks. Yes it does. It was not made for you. And... it has almost no adjustability. Ok. The rear spring does... but so what? Ok. There is a company from Thailand called YSS. They make a great setup for the CB500x. They offer a front spring that can handle my 220lb big boy frame. The fork kit is very adjustable. The rear shock has an easy access damper adjuster. It works.

How good is the YSS suspension off road? It works. How long will it last? So far, so good. I can feel it breaking in. If it was going to fail, it would have done so by now. Is is not all that expensive. About $700USD. Would you pay $700 more if you knew that off road was now a solid option?

Alright! I know people are warming up their angry reply fingers. Hold on! Yes, it comes with dirt tires. But gosh! Hit a pothole and you can lose a tooth. The suspension is soggy flabby and sinks a lot when braking or accelerating. When it is older... and you are fatter... It will fail you if it does not already. Expect your nc700x to last about 10 years or more. You will get bored if you have not fallen in love with this bike already. Saggy shocks are about as pleasant as saggy skin on a roller coaster.

The DCT can be a great dirt trail and dirt road bike. You just need to work the throttle a little. Keep a finger on the brake. Steer with your lower body. A properly sprung and valved nc700x is awesome off road. It is heavy. It is not your teenage dirt bike. It is not. But. With skill, you will get there. Do not plan on hitting anything rutted down to 6 inches. You will probably pay dearly. The front tire is 17 inches. This again, is not a dirt bike.

Can I put aggressive dirt tires on? Oh yes. The Trailmax Mission fits the rear. Avon makes great trail tires for the front. Your tires do not need to match brand or style at all. In fact, they should look very different if you know what you are doing. My highways speed limit is 75mph here is Texas. People do 80mph all the time. You need to be fast. Very fast. Especially near larger trucks.

Choose your tires wisely. Cheaper is not always better.

Can I jump it? Ok. Any seven year old with a hot wheel car set will tell you the pitfalls of launching down the hallway only to have the car ricochet off the bathroom door and land in the toilet. Yes. You can jump it. Did you upgrade your suspension? Rubber band your kickstand before you hit the dirt. Bar risers are a very very good idea.

What might an NC700x enduro light adventure bike look like?

Attachments

• tempImageRQzQCp.png
    tempImageRQzQCp.png
    13.5 MB · Views: 77

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
The best part is you meet such nice people, they take your picture, you get lost and eventually hit a dead end with a marina. No. Really. It is so annoying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 5ECAF274-DDA4-4D6F-B97B-CCAAE4741145.jpeg
    5ECAF274-DDA4-4D6F-B97B-CCAAE4741145.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to thank YSS for making such a strong performing suspension that highway 820 east of Fort Worth is no longer so risky. With the Avon trail tire, i am getting track-level performance at highway speeds. Now. Highway speeds are relatively above normal in Texas and comparable to Boston around the time of the big dig when lane changes and tight curves were navigated at 75mph plus. The bridge joints are differentiated enough to freak out any unprepared biker.

Tires need quick transition from side to side for problem moments like loose truck retreads in the lane and itchy eyebrows. I had dodged three rattle snakes, two turtles, four pigs, two road runners, and a very small snarling aggressive nearsighted Mexican breed dog that had no idea what he had just attacked and a black 1972 Cadillac.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Now. Most of my equipment works reliably. But it looks like home depot did in the new trailmax mission tire. Now i am broke. So running a shinko. And you know... it is not all that bad.

Attachments

• 8522D4DA-892B-4DA0-980C-A47ACB93E59E.jpeg
    8522D4DA-892B-4DA0-980C-A47ACB93E59E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
My second Shinko rear was fine until it delaminated at apx. 4000 miles.
Google “shinko 705 bulge”. Is this what you mean? Or worse? Post a few pictures of the de-lam to share so we can learn.

The way I see it, the 705 tire is cheaper. They are constructed using time-tested methods. Buy enough of them and if one goes bad, no loss. Find a cheap tire mount guy. $20 mounts. Or mount and balance yourself. You can see me riding over some jagged rocks in my videos. If you ride off road and if the rocks are bigger than your fist, you are probably going to see issues later in the tire’s life. There are only a few ways to make a tire. Some are more resistant to rocks and logs than others. I have had many decades to figure this out.

You can always try a trailmax mission as I did. It is a tougher tire. The dealer will say the size wont match. That is not a major issue. The down side is vibration. There is always a Bridgestone trailwing, but even those develop bulges. What i do is surf the dealerships for bikes with 17” rims. Then i can see the tires when they are inflated. I can see the profile and shape. I snap a picture of the tire specs and order what I want. Strangely, i find the best tires in slightly off-size specs. Bring a measuring tape. Surfing the off-brand showroom is better than googling. I shop for tires in parking lots. Not tire racks.

A deeper tread will eventually wear to a smaller tire near the end of its life. Tell us how this turns out. Please! And also please, send a picture.

My Avon is showing lumps after a few hundred miles. But then again, I am not kind to my tires. See below. If you are having trouble checking for lumps, roll through some dust, then brush off your tire lightly with your hand. Having bright light helps.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
My video editing is greatly improved. Here is my latest dirt adventure ride video. Are you afraid your computer will crash and lose all your videos? Upload them to YouTube and share them around the globe. Want the videos just for your family? Just keep the search criteria minimal. Or mark them private.

Things to see: What an upgraded suspension will do. Why is it important. And how to check your grip and handling off road. Never go into the dirt and guess that you can avoid things... like large deep holes. Test your bike on ever deeper dips and bumps. I have found the limits of the bike. It is not too bad really. I have owned very dirt-worthy dual-sport bikes. I have owned dirt-bikes. This is pretty good for someone who does not want limits on speed and light terrain. I would not climb a mountain with this bike off-road, but dirt-roads are just fine. Even the fairly rutted ones- four or five inches deep is about the limit. Stay away from washed out ruts. Sharp step-ups can put you over the bars.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
And here is my latest video on learning to turn in the dirt. These are the DCT basics. I actually did crash it. No, I am not Mr. Drama. I just did. And I want to share it with you.

Wear your plastic knee guards. I would have two holes in my knee right now if I did not. Wear good gloves. A lot of the time, the fall is a little one. This is the first one in many years. My luck ran out. I ride almost every week and 10 to 20 hours. People see me in town as a riding product advertisement and I am going to do it again tomorrow.

Now for some post-crash advice. Wrap your crash bar if it folds in on a crash. It protects the bike. ...And people ask me why I wrap my crash bar. Your DCT is pretty tough. Don't fret if the bars bend a little. It can be fixed.

The did bars bent a little, and the fix is to first remember which way the bars and tire was when you crashed. I should have taken a picture of the bike laying there. Then, I went to a gas station and popped the bars back against a steel pump guard. When I got home, I used a plastic tube from my wet-dry vac. I wrapped the bar in a cloth, slipped the tube over it and popped the end of the tube with my hand. Simple leverage. No fuss. No muss.

It does not need to be some sort of scientific thing to fix your bars. It is all about feel.

There are people on this forum who think I am drama drama drama. Total haters. No,.... I am fun for you. If you get excitement by getting angry, then that is your problem. I say... Marsha Marsha Marsha.

I ride all the time. Watch me screw up.

Watch what happens when I crash.

See that wide windscreen? The top is foam rubber. If it was solid, it would be broken by now. Not a scratch. It flexed as I flew off the bike.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay. 6 hours of riding and all I got was this stupid footage.

Just kidding. I have three hours of beautiful country, boring highway and dreamy sunset. One day I will throw those clips together too.

Now. Try to understand that I do not typically ride full knobbies. I prefer a tire that gives me good grip on slippery dirt roads.

The6thmartin

Reaction score
Visit site
Running Mitas E07 on front and rear. Yes…. Front is actually a rear tire running backwards. Both are oversized. Rear is 150/70-17 and front is a rear 120/90-17. To maintain geometry I had to make custom length rear links to raise the rear. Now my seat height is 34” and I have fantastic ground clearance. I keep looking for a 2019 or newer cb500x wheel as they have a 19” wheel with a rotor that should fit the nc. Oh…. The front won’t fit with that silly front fender so I made a custom high mount and made a separate post.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent idea! I invite any such posts to my thread! And don’t forget to check out my Rider of the Storm YouTube channel. If I could figure out a way to get some short videos of people adventure riding on the 700s and 750s, I would happily post any such video to my channel. I now have a facebook page and an instagram page. Still warming it up like morning bread, but getting there! This is an honest invitation to show off your stuff!!! I will even accept phone footage! There is no such thing as too crappy! Just don’t curse in your video or make hand gestures!! Heh heh. I will gladly add simple author titles by request and a thumbnail. How about that? Youtube videos for busy people!!! Keep it short so you can mail it or show me where I can get it. I can fetch stuff from FTP sites too. Let us see how busy this makes me!

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Running Mitas E07 on front and rear. Yes…. Front is actually a rear tire running backwards. Both are oversized. Rear is 150/70-17 and front is a rear 120/90-17. To maintain geometry I had to make custom length rear links to raise the rear. Now my seat height is 34” and I have fantastic ground clearance. I keep looking for a 2019 or newer cb500x wheel as they have a 19” wheel with a rotor that should fit the nc. Oh…. The front won’t fit with that silly front fender so I made a custom high mount and made a separate post.
Yeah! Genius! You can’t just change one thing. And yes. There are a couple good adventure tires you can run backwards. The tractionator is available in 17”.

Attachments

• 9D046C41-8E66-48EB-A047-03D625CE9984.png
    9D046C41-8E66-48EB-A047-03D625CE9984.png
    941.6 KB · Views: 0