• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT Won't Start

DominusFL

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I went to turn on my NC700X DCT yesterday and it would not start. When I turn the ignition key, all is good, I get power to the system. When I flip the kill switch the fuel pump noise kicks in and I see the Gear Indicator change from "-" to "1". When I press the Starter Button... NADA. Not a peep, bleep, or meep. Almost as if the switch itself is dead. Tried a number of configurations. Visually inspected the Starter Relay (no marks that would indicate a short). Battery is up to full voltage. Bike ran perfectly when I drove it two days before that. Dealer is 15 miles away, so before I have to have it towed that far, I wanted to see if anyone can give me ideas what else to look for. Bike has 1,700 miles.

Never felt better to own two bikes, I must admit.

Rick

Gear indicator should be in neutral when you try to start, not showing 1.

It'll never start if it thinks it's in gear. It also shuts off when you stop in gear and put the sidestand down before selecting neutral.

Is it possible it's stuck in gear? I'm not sure what can be done to free it up if it is - since it seems the clutch is disengaged. There was a guy who couldn't start because he'd parked against a curb and the rear wheel was blocking the transmission from disengaging but the moment he moved the bike the wheel released the transmission and all was fine.

I tried moving the bike in and out of my garage several times, both while it the ignition was on and off. Sadly, movement of the bike does not seem to affect it in any way. However, I will try more tonight.

Last edited:
It'll never start if it thinks it's in gear. It also shuts off when you stop in gear and put the sidestand down before selecting neutral.

It's a DCT, I never switch to Neutral when I turn it off. Normally I stop bike, turn it off, then put kickstand down. It is possible I put the kickstand down first this time, not easy to recall two days later.

Ok just went out to the garage to experiment, if you put the kickstand down while in gear it shuts down and it automatically goes into (N)eutral. I think I probably do that most of the time, so dont think that's a problem.

manual says:
1. check fuse - main (30a), Eng stop fuse (7.5a) and FI fuse (15a)
2. battery inspection
3. starter relay switch operation (do you feel it or hear it go click?)
4. starter motor inspection
5. relay coil input line inspection
6. relay coil ground line inspection
7. starter relay switch continuity inspection
8. starter relay switch inspection

k

Last edited:
When you turn the key to ON, do you hear a loud click about a second or two?
Click not from the key switch, it's from the starter relay.
If no click, check emergency shut off switch on right side of handle bar.
Check side stand switch

K

As I wrote before on other thread, just imagine, if you fell from the bike at any speed at any gear different from neutral and shut the engine off after it, the DCT's computer will go to N at the next start. So if you normally just use the kill switch and don't put it back to N,it will also be in N at the next start.

There may be a sensor problem or just a simple bad-day-effect. The kick-stand wouldn't let put it into gear when it is down on the ground.
Have you tried the MS method? turn it off and on? :) I mean, disconnect the batt for more than 15mins.
It might work....

Keep us updated!

I think that's a great idea. Turn it off, disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes. Hopefully the switches or sensors will reset.

K

When you turn the key to ON, do you hear a loud click about a second or two?
Click not from the key switch, it's from the starter relay.
If no click, check emergency shut off switch on right side of handle bar.
Check side stand switch

When I turn the key on, everything works as expected, including all sounds. When I toggle kill switch same thing. Things go south when I attempt the starter switch. Having the kickstand down or up makes no difference (tried). It is almost as if the starter switch is not being sensed at all. I visually examined the starter relay, looks brand new (all contacts are nice and shinny). I do notice the gear indicator is on '1' and people here seem to suggest it should have flipped to 'N' when I hit the kill switch to on. So I am going to try the rocking trick (even more than I already did) tonight.

Ok, still no luck.

Tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer (1/2 hour disconnected).
Tried rocking/moving lots.

I found something new. If I try starting it while holding the brake (either one) the starter button does reply and I hear the starter relay click. The gear indicator changes from "1" to "-" and it clicks the starter relay. Nothing else happens. Tried numerous times. Let go of brake, it goes back to "1" and does nothing. To be clear, engine NEVER turns over, the last noise is the loud click of the starter relay.

So it DOES sound like it is stuck in gear '1'. Anyone know what the procedure may be to force the DCT bike out of a gear?

Nope. Sorry, call your dealer.

As a last ditch effort have you checked for blown fuses?

And when your DCT is finally cleared of this issue, I suggest you switch to neutral, then turn the engine off. As a side note, I never touch the engine kill switch.

what is the battery voltage?? check it at the battery key off, then with the key on, then hit starter button now what is the voltage. dct will have more problems then you can even think about if you have low battery voltage. dale

Back