• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nc700 skid plate

Fare coment! you bought and are happy,thats a good recomendation..Regarding the mounting system,you may be right,if you mount too ridghly in an accident you may end uup with a bent frame..but to me they still seem on the small side...

I have Dale's skid plate..............I think it is very very well designed, a perfect fit, super strong in both construction and mounting. The mounting bolts are more than adequate IMHO. Along with being strong the mounting system allows easy removal for maintenance.
If you can't tell I am a very satisfied customer:eek:

I really think the plate is so strong and well built it could be attached with 6mm bolts and fit and box construction of the plate would allow to still function perfectly. If the plate mounting system were to give way the bike would have suffered severe unrepairable crash. I really think if my bike were totaled the plate would be one of the parts that would or could be reused.

I'll not bother to repeat what showkey said but will add that the plate bolts to factory installed mount points and those points receive an 8 mm bolt so there really isn't much choice in the matter. In any case, those bolts are highly unlikely to be your weakest point.

Fare coment! you bought and are happy,thats a good recomendation..Regarding the mounting system,you may be right,if you mount too ridghly in an accident you may end uup with a bent frame..but to me they still seem on the small side...

Basically what the other fine fellows said.

Although this skidplate could be rightly called a bashplate because of it's very stout construction and great design, I would still think most people should be thinking of it as a SKIDplate. Not for fear of the HondaBikePro armor having any kind of problem, but the bike itself, and the rider, in conditions where it is best not to be in the first place.

Don't forget, as much as some of us want to think of our trusty steeds as gnarly dirtbikes, going off sweet jumps and navigating through boulder strewn goat trails with DR350's in our wake, in reality we are dealing with a very heavy, fairly low ground clearance street bike, that just looks like an "Adventure" bike.

I'm not insulting the NCX, after all, I'm planning on sending my knobby tired, skidplate equipped "adventure" street bike down a few places as goat trail-like as I can lol, but in truth, it will be pretty tame conditions that I pick and choose very carefully, to avoid crunching things that shouldn't be crunched. (both me and the bike...)

So. If you are really needing to worry about bending the frame, or snapping the mounting bolts, or needing the skidplate to protect the engine from catastrophic failure due to riding your NCX like it's a Motocross bike, well, you might be striving to do more than you should, with the wrong machine. The skidplate strength or mounting location bolt specs should be the last thing to speculate on, for the weak link in the deal.

Scraping over some pointy rocky outcrop bits, keeping the sump from cracking after you hopped the curb trying to weasel that great parking spot at the mall, preventing the exhaust pipe from being dented by a tree root sticking up, well that's what this will do brilliantly, as far as what 99.99999% of any riders will actually do on their NC700X's.

IMHO.

I really like the look of your bash plate,,looks very solid,,,but can I ask one question,,,why did you attach to the frame with the small 8mm bolts and not attach at the engine mounts???,or maybe to the frame with some bigger fixings,,Personally I always go like to see things "Over engineered"... Please note I am not dissing your shield,,not at all!!!! its just those bolts looks a wee bit on the small side... I am not an engineer,,so maybe you could enlighten me...

the mounting system is to put all loading on the frame rails. the motor and the related parts, have to be protected. the plates is 5052 aluminum it is a softer alloy, i use this because it will bend, and adsorb the impact, before it gets to the easily damaged parts. the shear strength on the 8mm bolts is very very high. they are not the week link in this design, the plate is!! i could make the plate out of 6061 and it would not bend, or absorb a impact at all, and cause other damage to the bike, that the plate was supposed to protect. it would not be possible to shear off the front four 8 mm bolts, the plate would bend around the frame mounts. if anyone damages one of my plates, send it to me. and i will repair it. dale

the foot pegs have a locator pin on the mount so that they will not rotate, the are bike master 171270 they are cheap, so if damaged easy to replace, dale

I ordered a set of these, Dale, and I'm struggling.
How do I mount them to the stock nc700x?
(no, I'm not willing to drill into the frame... I was thinking of some sort of clamp.)

Sounds like he just ran over a stone or something. I'm really thankful I got a HONDABIKEPRO plate that much more now.

Basically what the other fine fellows said.

Although this skidplate could be rightly called a bashplate because of it's very stout construction and great design, I would still think most people should be thinking of it as a SKIDplate. Not for fear of the HondaBikePro armor having any kind of problem, but the bike itself, and the rider, in conditions where it is best not to be in the first place.

Don't forget, as much as some of us want to think of our trusty steeds as gnarly dirtbikes, going off sweet jumps and navigating through boulder strewn goat trails with DR350's in our wake, in reality we are dealing with a very heavy, fairly low ground clearance street bike, that just looks like an "Adventure" bike.

I'm not insulting the NCX, after all, I'm planning on sending my knobby tired, skidplate equipped "adventure" street bike down a few places as goat trail-like as I can lol, but in truth, it will be pretty tame conditions that I pick and choose very carefully, to avoid crunching things that shouldn't be crunched. (both me and the bike...)

So. If you are really needing to worry about bending the frame, or snapping the mounting bolts, or needing the skidplate to protect the engine from catastrophic failure due to riding your NCX like it's a Motocross bike, well, you might be striving to do more than you should, with the wrong machine. The skidplate strength or mounting location bolt specs should be the last thing to speculate on, for the weak link in the deal.

Scraping over some pointy rocky outcrop bits, keeping the sump from cracking after you hopped the curb trying to weasel that great parking spot at the mall, preventing the exhaust pipe from being dented by a tree root sticking up, well that's what this will do brilliantly, as far as what 99.99999% of any riders will actually do on their NC700X's.

IMHO.

I know what yer saying.... but where there's a will.... The bike at the back with the twin head lights is
a Suzuki DL650 Vee Storm... Where no Vee storm should be... but we got him though... meany hands and the like..
Even my much moded XT660R is hard work on these scree slides & it has a Rekluse auto clutch..
But I can't see myself takeing a NC700X there when I get it...

ssa42020.jpg

Last edited:
the mounting system is to put all loading on the frame rails. the motor and the related parts, have to be protected. the plates is 5052 aluminum it is a softer alloy, i use this because it will bend, and adsorb the impact, before it gets to the easily damaged parts. the shear strength on the 8mm bolts is very very high. they are not the week link in this design, the plate is!! i could make the plate out of 6061 and it would not bend, or absorb a impact at all, and cause other damage to the bike, that the plate was supposed to protect. it would not be possible to shear off the front four 8 mm bolts, the plate would bend around the frame mounts. if anyone damages one of my plates, send it to me. and i will repair it. dale
Thanks Dan for taking time to reply,,I think your shield looks super strong and not likely to sear,,,but something has to give when that rock jumps out and hits you!!!!,,,I plan to do abit of offf roading with the NC,,but here in the UK countryside its much more gentle then in the "out back" states,,and we have a lot of soft mud to get stuck in....Yeah I know I will still need a shield but there,s no rush!!,,,all the best

Thanks Dan for taking time to reply,,I think your shield looks super strong and not likely to sear,,,but something has to give when that rock jumps out and hits you!!!!,,,I plan to do abit of offf roading with the NC,,but here in the UK countryside its much more gentle then in the "out back" states,,and we have a lot of soft mud to get stuck in....Yeah I know I will still need a shield but there,s no rush!!,,,all the best

So far there has been two NC's that have damaged engines that Dale's Skid plate could have prevented. One was in the UK. A rock or debris on the road caused the hole.

My engine may never be damaged without the skid plate, but I like my odds a lot better now.

Last edited:
So far there has been two NC's that have damaged engines that Dale's Skid plate could have prevented. One was in the UK. A rock or debris on the road caused the hole.

My engine may have never been damaged without the skid plate, but I like my odds a lot better now.

Yep, I sure wish I had one on the bike last week. It would have saved me some frustration.
Mike

i made three plates for nc700x if anyone needs one. i do not have any dct plates done that turned out the way i wanted them to, maybe this winter. dale

Back