• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

nc700 rear rack

HONDABIKEPRO

Supporting Vendor
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
almost done with new rear rack, it will take the place of the rear seat, and will hinge rear ward just like the seat did, for fuel filling. it will be powder coated textured black to match the black on the side panels, it will have slots around the outer edge to hook straps, or bungee cords.
1. how many people would be interested in the one that hinges to get to the fuel cap, and covers the cap, so that the stock cap is covered??
2. how many would be interested in one that has a hole cut in the plate so that you do not have to hinge the rack backwards??
3. the new rack will cover the honda grap rail, and taper like they do to the rear.
4. the rack will be aluminum 5052 3/16 plate, and would be very strong, but you would have to be carefull hingeing up, with a load on the rack, the rear honda hinge would not like a lot of weight on it, in the up position. not sure on price will have to finish makeing the two types,and take to powder coating for est.
i will be done in about two weeks, and one week more for coating.
will post pic when i get them back from coating.
thanks dale

I knew I'd be wasting my time on this.;)
no sour grapes here though that I can assure you.
I'm sure there will be a couple on here who'd be interested if the price is right:rolleyes:
I doubt very much that this will sell in the UK.
I hope you do well mate and sell enough to have made it worth while.

rear rack

I knew I'd be wasting my time on this.;)
no sour grapes here though that I can assure you.
I'm sure there will be a couple on here who'd be interested if the price is right:rolleyes:
I doubt very much that this will sell in the UK.
I hope you do well mate and sell enough to have made it worth while.

i made three different racks for the nc when i made my rear fuel tank a year ago off the same base. two going forward, and one going reward, but no one was really interested in them, so i cut them up, maybe should have posted them first?? thanks dale

2. how many would be interested in one that has a hole cut in the plate so that you do not have to hinge the rack backwards??
This would be my choice complemented with a lockable cap from a Honda Ruckus. Wouldn't you be able to make the rack sturdier if the hinged part is removed completely?

i made three different racks for the nc when i made my rear fuel tank a year ago off the same base. two going forward, and one going reward, but no one was really interested in them, so i cut them up, maybe should have posted them first?? thanks dale

Did you post anything about them or put pictures up here? I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a rear rack by you.

This would be my choice complemented with a lockable cap from a Honda Ruckus. Wouldn't you be able to make the rack sturdier if the hinged part is removed completely?

i can look at that, but may not be anything to bolt to under the seat, without having the bolts come down threw the top of the rack, but i will look at that tomorrow. thanks dale

I would be interested in one with fueling access that doesn't require hinging up or removing the load. A small fuel door would be best. Even if you had to squeeze your pack back a little to open it, it's better than having to untie the load. If no room for a door, just have a hole a little bigger than the gas cap, and I can use a locking cap.

Having the whole rack hinge backward for me wouldn't work since I'd have a top box in the way.

Did you post anything about them or put pictures up here? I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a rear rack by you.

i did not post anything on it, but i have made a lot of parts for the nc that never got posted, like aluminum hand guard covers, storage boxes that fit in the sw-motech guard, two diff sets of aluminum saddle bags, different rear brake lever, shock pull rods to raise the bike, for more travel, some triple clamps to install upside down ohlins forks, some of the parts i have weeks in making and would be to expense to remake a sell. some of the stuff no one else would want, like how many of you have a bracket with a warn winch on the back? like my dct skid plates only made three, have one left,if wanted i will make more, 12 hours to build, only made them because, because i said i would make some for the guys on the forum. thanks dale

Last edited:
i did not post anything on it, but i have made a lot of parts for the nc that never got posted, like aluminum hand guard covers, storage boxes that fit in the sw-motech guard, two diff sets of aluminum saddle bags, different rear brake lever, shock pull rods to raise the bike, for more travel, some triple clamps to install upside down ohlins forks, some of the parts i have weeks in making and would be to expense to remake a sell. some of the stuff no one else would want, like how many of you have a bracket with a warn winch on the back? like my dct skid plates only made three, have one left, and thats the end off them, 12 hours to build, only made them because, because i said i would make some for the guys on the forum. thanks dale

You have a couple PM's, Dale :D

I think I'd be down with a rack that doesn't lift. I'm looking at some camping and IBA and need a place to put dry bags with a tent and cooking stuff so the stronger the better.

Gigs

This would be my preference also: I would be interested in one with fueling access that doesn't require hinging up or removing the load. A small fuel door would be best. Even if you had to squeeze your pack back a little to open it, it's better than having to untie the load. If no room for a door, just have a hole a little bigger than the gas cap, and I can use a locking cap.

Dale,
I'll be waiting to see what you come up with. I think I would prefer the rack that opened up to the rear and covered the gas cap when closed. But I'll probably buy whatever you make regardless of front or back opening, as long as it covers the gas cap when closed.

Just a though... What about adding a quick lock ring to the rack? I don't know the dimensions so this may not be feasible at all. In theory though you could have a sturdy rack that you could attach / detach a bag in seconds and fill up.

This thread has a pic (post #8) of the type of ring I'm talking about.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/2271-how-attach-tank-bag-ncx.html

The rack itself would not need anything for mounting the ring. Everyone could drill the holes easily according to bag size etc.

I would buy a non-opening rack that includes a hole for the fuel cap (would go with locking Ruckus cap) as long as it extends back over the plastic at the end of the seat. Can't be really hard to do. Ideally it would be nice to be able to cut the seat right behind where it rises up and still have that part of the seat as a backrest. But that's probably asking too much. I will try and photoshop a photo to give you a better idea.

Here's a crude bitmap drawing of what I was thinking about.

ncseatrack.JPG

Last edited:
I imagine anyone with a drill could make a universal mount work with the rear seat removed. There's only three holes to align and the universal mounts have many options of slots and holes for a variety of applications. It's how I mounted that enormous Krauser rack to my Ducati MTS.

back rest

I would buy a non-opening rack that includes a hole for the fuel cap (would go with locking Ruckus cap) as long as it extends back over the plastic at the end of the seat. Can't be really hard to do. Ideally it would be nice to be able to cut the seat right behind where it rises up and still have that part of the seat as a backrest. But that's probably asking too much. I will try and photoshop a photo to give you a better idea.

i already have a back rest that is adjustable, up and down and will angle front to rear, for the driver, i just have to make the mount to fit the new rack, hope to have the first, flip up rack with no hole done, to go to powder coating end of next week. dale

almost done with new rear rack, it will take the place of the rear seat, and will hinge rear ward just like the seat did, for fuel filling. it will be powder coated textured black to match the black on the side panels, it will have slots around the outer edge to hook straps, or bungee cords.
1. how many people would be interested in the one that hinges to get to the fuel cap, and covers the cap, so that the stock cap is covered??
3. the new rack will cover the honda grap rail, and taper like they do to the rear.
4. the rack will be aluminum 5052 3/16 plate, and would be very strong, but you would have to be carefull hingeing up, with a load on the rack, the rear honda hinge would not like a lot of weight on it, in the up position. not sure on price will have to finish makeing the two types,and take to powder coating for est.
i will be done in about two weeks, and one week more for coating.
will post pic when i get them back from coating.
thanks dale

I like the idea of having the pillion rack hinged just the way the seat is. That seems to simplify design.

accessing the gas cap seems ... difficult. Here are some "IFs" I thought of...

If I have a heavy bag on the pillion rack, will it stress the existing hinges more than they can stand when I open for fuel?

If you cut a hole for fuel access (or put a small trap door), then it seems likdeyou'd have to remove the bag from the rack (or open it on its hinges) to get to the gas cap either way.

I'd prefer the rack completely cover that back area as the seat does.

If the bag is secured with quick release straps to the pillion rack, then it's not as much of a problem.

Here's a narration of how fueling up would go ...

- ride up, park by pump
- pop bag's quick release straps
- lift bag off pillion rack and set bag on ground
- turn key to pop open the rear seat (now a pillion rack)
- fill up as normal
- close pillion rack on its hinges
- put bag back on rack
- quick connect straps
- ride away

being able to integrate a back rest into all of that would be fun as well.

thank you for applying to considerable talent to this project!

i do have a utopia back rest, that will adjust up and down, and tilt forward and back that can be made to fit the rack, for the operator. it looks like the rack will have to be three dimensional to be level, so there will be possible 7 or 8 parts to make the rack fit, and cover the side spaces, the other cool part is you should be able to store stuff under the rack. also for the backrest to bolt to the rack, you could not have a hole for fuel door access, because the mount has to be in the middle, front of the rack. i should have first set of templates made next week. and then will make one to see if it all works. you never know, the first dct plate fit good but could not get the plate back off, had to completely remake one side. dale

Back