• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700 Insurance in California

SilverRocket

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my 2016 NC700X DCT last summer I was quoted outrageous insurance rates. I had been paying under $300/year on my 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R and the same insurance broker couldn't find anything reasonable for the same coverage. Almost $4000! No change in my drivers record.

Needless to say, I had to go with just liability coverage for $430. 2/3rds of that was broker fees.

I had tried some other companies but was told they didn't offer coverage in Calif.

Has anyone in Calif. got a reasonable rate with a company?
Thanks.

$4000 ? Was that quotes from 3 or 4 different insurance companies ? My 6th sense says something is missing in this scenario. Perhaps the insurance company punched in wrong information into the computer they were using. Come on up to WA state - no required insurance on motorcycles.

Silverrocket, something is definitely not right. I'm in So Cal with a 2014 NC700x as my primary vehicle. I'm 39, married, home owner, relatively clean record and have had moto insurance for past 4 years. My coverage with Geico is as follows to give you an idea.

Bodily Injury Liability $25K/$50K
Property Damage Liability $20K
No Uninsured Motorist coverage
Comprehensive $500 deductible
Collision $500 deductible
Towing

My 12 month premium is $298

As we have discussed Insurance is highly variable even down to zip code regions and credit score. When the NC first came out a few companies rated the bike as a sport bike, that was corrected a long time ago. On a relative low cost bike like the NC going without collision coverage is one way to lower the rates. ( assuming there is no bank loan).

On the above post NO UNINSURED is a HUGE risk every where but in California even higher. Uninsured and under insured can be expensive in some areas but because it pays when the guy that hit can’t.

Last edited:
Uninsured is cheap here in Oklahoma. It is just one premium, you do not have to have it on each vehicle since it is protecting you.
I don’t really understand why it is cheap, as we have plenty of uninsured drivers. A police officer told me that about half the motorcycles he stops either have no insurance or no M endorsement, or both.

I also think there is something wrong there, maybe the guy put the wrong bike (like a CBr 600 rr) in.
When I checked the premium on a new Gold Wing the other day they did not even have the 2018 model in the system.

We’ve been over this before, but in my opinion, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, along with liability, is the most important coverage you should have. Max it out. If cost is an issue, I wouldn’t even worry about insuring the actual motorcycle. One hospital visit could easily cost 20 times what that bike is worth.

Uninsured/underinsured protects you when other drivers fail to carry proper insurance.

When I bought my 2016 NC700X DCT last summer I was quoted outrageous insurance rates. I had been paying under $300/year on my 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R and the same insurance broker couldn't find anything reasonable for the same coverage. Almost $4000! No change in my drivers record.

Needless to say, I had to go with just liability coverage for $430. 2/3rds of that was broker fees.

I had tried some other companies but was told they didn't offer coverage in Calif.

Thanks.
The first estimate I got was like that (I've also got a clean record) I found out they had my wife on the insurance for the motorcycle and them heavily penalised me because she didn't have a motorcycle license. They did this entirely on their own and without informing me, the first response I got when asking why it was so to was because it was classified as a sport bike.
I commute 26,000 miles a year on my NC so I got full coverage the first year after that I've had upgraded liability.
Try getting estimates in writing the differences are in the details.

The payout on full coverage at least through my insurer is based on blue book value, the NC is priced low and resale is even lower so a high millage NC isn't worth allot, adding coverage to pay for accessories was even more.

Knowing all that and owning one, I don't understand why they are so expensive to insure?

Thanks.
I am using Geico and have reasonable rates in Pasadena area.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I just tried Gieco online using the lowest amounts of coverage and $1000 deductibles. As bare bones as I think I can get.
It shows $709/year.

I have a feeling there might be some kind of jinx on my zipcode, which has always been pretty bad for coverage. but my initial coverage on my new 2009 Ninja wasn't nearly this extreme and my NC700 is 2 years old, so shouldn't be what's driving the high quotes.

Thanks and keep throwing out names of any companies you have seen that provide insurance in California.

Thanks and keep throwing out names of any companies you have seen that provide insurance in California.

Don’t overlook the bundle............try a quote from the company where your car, home or renters insurance is purchased..........some insurance companies love the bundle.

+1^ Try as I might, I never could improve on the bundle I have with State Farm. Could be because I’ve been with them since the beginning of time and only had one minor claim. I’m probably their poster boy for profitable policy holders...:p

Geico

+1^ Try as I might, I never could improve on the bundle I have with State Farm. Could be because I’ve been with them since the beginning of time and only had one minor claim. I’m probably their poster boy for profitable policy holders...:p

Something is wrong somewhere. I have a 2011 Harley and a 2016 NC, and my 12 month premium is $600 for both That's with maxed out coverage on both with $250 deductible through Geico. I live in Riverside, CA. I have 2 cars with Geico also, and have been with them for 10 plus years, with no claims. I know zip codes can make a huge difference. Just my .02

I do agree with the sentiments about uninsured motorist, it is very important. Only reason why I don't have it. I have excellent healthcare insurance so that premium isn't going to do anything to help with health. As for motorcycle, if it is totaled than it is totaled. And worst case scenario, have a $1M+ life insurance policy.

I do agree with the sentiments about uninsured motorist, it is very important. Only reason why I don't have it. I have excellent healthcare insurance so that premium isn't going to do anything to help with health. As for motorcycle, if it is totaled than it is totaled. And worst case scenario, have a $1M+ life insurance policy.

Excellent points, for sure. I’ve considered the quality of health insurance vs the necessity to carry uninsured/underinsured coverages. There could certainly be duplication of coverages. The questions to ask would be whether the health insurance plan covers all expenses, like the possible $30,000 helicopter ride. There may still be value in using the Un/Under for the motorcycle crash and preserving some of the health insurance benefits that may cover the rest of the whole family. Employer sponsored health plans are getting skimpier these days. As always, “your mileage may vary,” and let’s hope we never need to use the insurance.

Last edited:
I also have Geico. I'm 56, married, employed, have two cars covered by AAA, and live in what an insurance company would call a bad neighborhood in a big city (San Francisco.)

Bodily Injury Liability $50K/$1000K
Property Damage Liability $50K
Uninsured Motorist coverage $30K/$50K
Comprehensive $250 deductible
Collision $250 deductible
Towing

My 12 month premium is $424.

Rates are similar to others here in Michigan, except we also have to pay an extra $200 for each vehicle for mandatory catastrophic claims coverage.
That is $200 for each and every vehicle. It stinks when you have multiple cars in the family and a few bikes.

Gotta pay to play.

Rates are similar to others here in Michigan, except we also have to pay an extra $200 for each vehicle for mandatory catastrophic claims coverage.
That is $200 for each and every vehicle. It stinks when you have multiple cars in the family and a few bikes.

Gotta pay to play.

Interesting. For me that would be an extra $2000. That’s far more than I pay to actually insure all the vehicles. That is catastrophic! I wasn’t planning on moving to Michigan, but thanks for that heads up.

Back