• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC on the TAT?

frozenpoet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are two great american trails that are on my bucket list. As a backpacker, living on the east coast, the Appalachian trail is one.

The other, and more related here, is the Trans-american trail. (TAT) I have had a fascination with this trail since I've heard of it. I've been reading ride reports over on ADV, and I'm pretty positive that the NCX would be more than able to handle from the Rockies east. Now from the Rockies to the finish is what makes me wonder. I know Bamamate has done the Colorado discovery trail on his, and I've seen others doing off road stuff as well, so I'm getting more at ease with the idea. I've taken my NCX on some pretty chewed up roads around here, and switching to a small dual sport would make me miss a few things...like the low end grunt. Twist and go, right up the steep rocky hill. I know it would still have some disadvantages as well; ground clearance, weight, 17 inch wheels. Does the pros outweigh the cons? A big advantage for the NCX, is simply...I already have one. It's set up well for long distance, and all I really need to make it more dirt worthy would be a skid plate.

So what's the thoughts? NCX, or something else?

Anyone want to ride it? get an entire band of NC's going would be fun.

The ideal is a 250-400. You will be picking it up. My concern would be damaging the wheels in the rocky west. I think the dct would be a plus.

The wheels are the weak link on this bike for this purpose. There was a rumor that honda was going to put out a mini african twin (250cc), too bad that hasn't happen yet.

Not too many dirt-oriented machines that have good load-bearing subframes, fuel economy, and the right gearbox and a few other attributes between the WR250R and the 650 cc bikes, when it comes to dealing with stretches of pavement. The dual-sport/adventure category has ignored what could be done with a 400 or 450 cc machine of about that same weight. Some of the "dirt bikes with plates" in that range are pretty awesome for performance, admittedly... the budget choice of something widely available seems to be the DR650 which is lighter than say the KLR, and just needs a bigger fuel tank and a bit of suspension work to bridge the gap. I wouldn't relish doing the rougher stuff on most of the affordable mid-sized adventure bikes, that's for sure.

Doing the TAT also sounds intriguing to me. I think a good bike would be 500cc or less, but I would need to know more about the trail to make a judgement on the NC.

As for power, though, i think it's really only needed for higher speed runs. I have a 144cc dirt bike that probably only makes 12 or 13 horsepower, but in low gear it will power me up any steep hill it can get traction on. On a dirt hill, I run out of traction before the motor runs out of power.

I own own a second NC that I could set up specially for a trip like this, so that may be a play for achieving the goal of running the TAT.

yah, until you run stretches of highway or near-highway, you mainly need a modicum of power for the load you carry.

Well for the instance of the TAT, there isn't any highway. 90% or so is dirt.

After reading someone do it on a wr250r and a drz650, if i didn't attempt on the ncx I'd be looking at a drz400.

I'm not too worried about the subframe, as I do some ultra light backpacking, so my gear wouldn't be too heavy.

Haven't done the TAT, but as I planned my trip to Moab, UT I tried to sample as much of the TAT
as I could, on my Africa Twin. IMO, it will do the TAT without much drama, since it is built (stock, without enhancements) for exactly that
kind of trip.
I sampled the mud and sand in OK, and patted myself on the back for not having followed the trail there.
In the CO passes, I only did Engineer Pass (an intermediate ride) and felt like kissing the ground after managing to return to paved roads.
Sampled a section called Gemini Bridge Rd for 1/4 mile and promptly turned around due to my lack of confidence.
With the NC, it would be truly an "Adventure", but with something like the Rally Raid Kit, entirely possible.

But in retrospect, it was not the trail that was difficult, nor was it the equipment, ultimately, it was overcoming the fear, or having enough confidence in myself to tackle the hard sections.
I returned, not having failed to do the TAT, but having a better understanding of what it was all about.

to ride in that environment day in and day out.

Well, the people I talked to that came off the TA near Port Orford last year said big fuel range for the inevitable detours and longer stretches, and the ability to carry a decent load without breaking sub-frame is important. Even a light load can stress out a weak subframe when it's getting slammed around a lot.

here's one of many takes on the subject: Riding The Trans-America Trail - Motorcycle USA

I just rode, last weekend, 100 miles of treacherous sand and rock trails at St Joe (OHV) Park in Missouri, using a proper dirt bike. That bikes can even go through this stuff amazes me. Two things I would want with the NC is proper tires, and a much improved suspension (over stock), that at the same time minimizes much increase in seat height.

The NC has the low C of G thing going for it, but it's still quite heavy. So, on second thought, I really do think a smaller, lighter bike is in order for the TAT.

Last edited:
I sold a DR 650 when i bought the NC. If you want a bigger bike for the TAT. Get one of those. Much lighter, pulls like a tractor....good aftermarket. I really hated getting rid of mine, but it had to go.

I have ridden the TAT to Arkansas. Fell once in some sand.

If it rains, you'll need some knobs in Mississipi.

Last edited:
Some of it might depend on who's rout you take. I know gpskevin has several options do you can avoid the hardest parts... but what's the fun in that.

Cross posted from Doctor Zed on ADV Rider, I hope he doesn't mind:

"I've done the COBDR
CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado | Adventure Rider
and the IDBDR
CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry | Adventure Rider
on my NC700X. It lacked a little power when loaded up blasting the Interstate at 85 getting out there from Wisconsin. But once we got out there the NC handled everything the KTM Super Enduro, Adventure and Yamaha Super Tenere did.
And with a lot less money invested and MUCH better gas mileage."

The skill set of the rider is the most important factor.

Last edited:
Cross posted from Doctor Zed on ADV Rider, I hope he doesn't mind:

"I've done the COBDR
CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado | Adventure Rider
and the IDBDR
CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry | Adventure Rider
on my NC700X. It lacked a little power when loaded up blasting the Interstate at 85 getting out there from Wisconsin. But once we got out there the NC handled everything the KTM Super Enduro, Adventure and Yamaha Super Tenere did.
And with a lot less money invested and MUCH better gas mileage."

The skill set of the rider is the most important factor.

Couldn't agree more. If you have confidence in your abilities, you can get away with a lot less equipment.
But the fact is most of us would end up with a crippling nap, sooner or later, thus ending the adv prematurely.
I would not underestimate the TAT just because some people have done it on this and that kind of bike.
And I agree, if it's on your bucket list, do it from start to finish without taking alternate routes.
Do it soon, as many sections are disappearing from public access.
I'm thinking of getting on it next year around September.

Just because someone has done it on this machine or this machine doesn't sway my choice of what I'd rather ride for the distance. Let them suffer and put a good face on it. There's already plenty to experience on such a long ride without that.

Something under 300 pounds with deeper suspension is easier and more fun to ride fast even in fairly mild two-track. Even then, by the time you get all your gear on board --

Don't get me wrong. I love my NC. For me it's a true joy. But my WR250R would get the nod for the TAT. (But in either case, I'd be running a Mitas E-07 on the back)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I think the bike could do it, and I'm; stubborn, crazy, determined enough to pull it off. The question is, would it still be fun, or just frustrating?

Either or, it would be a bigger challenge to get the time off to do it.

Back